100% Electric MasterCraft Zero 1

Horton

• Administrators

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/77/133004baec3dd48da29eec3c08802e.jpg

From Des Burke-Kennedy's facebook:

Have you seen the revolutionary new 100% electric MasterCraft Zero 1 - just launched today at the the Dusseldorf International Boat Show. From what I hear from our World Cup MasterCraft buddy Ian Birdsall, its actually a real production model and is available for sale right now ! Its all packed in to the well established MasterCraft X1 hull / Riders favourite. A single charge will give one hour at 30kph on a single charge / sounds like the real biz !

• Baller
Wow, an entire hour on the water after a charge! That'll make for an fun day at the lake! I'm sorry, these electric boats are a joke. Naturally, hypothetical examples will be made of how these boats will be viable in the real world, but I gurantee this boat will be MC's sales bottom feeder. (like the Volt and Leaf flying out of dealerships, LOL) When some engineer designs a hydrogen powered engine, that utilizes lake water, then you'll have a true game changer!

• Baller

BTW, Epic no longer produces the hybrid. Maybe it had something to do with the $150,000 price tag? They now produce the SE, with 2 electic batteries, providing 8 hours of run time, with an overnight charge (again around $150,000). Without taking the increased electric bill into consideration, one would have to own one of these for quite some time to just break even.

And about the electric-only lakes out there... has any else seen threads regarding lakes going to 5mph limits, due to the introduction of these types of boats?

End of my rant, sorry!

• Baller

I think I'm missing something. I don't understand all the vehemence being aimed at producing technology for electric/hybrid cars & boats. Price tags were awfully high for the first computers and they were big and cumbersome, but American ingenuity prevailed and now everyone has a super computer on their phone. Are we supposed to just quit trying?

• Baller_
I just want out of the box thinking on clean energy not some idea that has been around for years that does not take us to the future. Plug it in to the coal plant or bun gas, its all the same. It also drives up the price of gas powerd boats so the company can get R&D money back

• Baller

Ideas can be around for years and still be revolutionized by new technology. Batteries have improved just in the past five years - including the smelter plants that create the nickel that go into many of them. 25 years ago smelter plants were super fund sites, now they are 90% cleaner.

I don't think anyone can honestly claim that we've spent much in terms of resources exploring any sort of motorized vehicle other than those that run on gas. Maybe that's why the Chinese are currently leading the way in battery and solar technology.

As far as boat prices - I'm pretty sure all boat companies are going to charge as much as the market will bare - regardless of R&D.

• Baller

Another great point: Cleaner battery manufacturing plants, which cost a ton of money to be gov compliant, are also increasing the price of batteries - hence $150k electic boats. I think all Mark and I are trying to say is that there are other avenues that could perhaps be pursued. It's like they're trying to build a better mousetrap, when no one is buying mousetraps.

I guess maybe I'm confused on the intentions of these boats? Are they intended to save the environment, or to lower the cost of ownership? I don't see a net gain on either front? If the intention is to make a quiet running boat - mission accomplished. Even if the price of the boat was only moderately more, do I then have to have a 220 tap run down to my dock? Do I need to buy a spare battery, so I can keep running if the original needs a charge? Heck, cordless drill technology still isn't the make all-break all. You always better have one on the charger!

I bet the big 3 auto makers could claim they've spent time exploring alternative propulsion methods - and with gov funds to do so.

Google the water powered car from FL (they also make water powered welders). Just imagine that technology in something that is intended to be used ON the water!

• Supporting Member

Aren't these boats much quieter, especially at a distance? This can be critically important in how boating is perceived by other laker user and abutters.

As far as saving the environment or being efficient, I (like several others here) don't see it.

That boat isnt actually an MC product, a dealer in Europe took an X-1 hull (which is no longer produced) and installed an electric powertrain. Bosch boats have been building an electric ski boat for a number of years that is actually a production design not a marketing exercise.

The development costs for a boat like this are very minimal, the powertrain is something that is bought like any other and added into an existing hull design. This boat did not take the redesign that the Nautique did because of it's already a v-drive layout.

• Baller
When the Correct Craft 196 based boat came to Okeeheelee for a few skiers to try out, we noticed that there was no sound while it idled around that we could hear. However, watching the boat run in the course, the noise level was about the same as a standard 196. This surprised us, but probably speaks to how well the 350 engine is muffled. The sounds getting to shore are more about running gear and water displacement.

• Supporting Member

Solar-charged boat really would be awfully sweet. So many boats just sit in the sun all day!

I MAY be biased as my grandfather, Daryl Chapin, was the inventor of the solar cell. While that technology found a critical niche for satellites, it is still only inching toward reaching its assumed potential as a major energy source here on earth. A great example of how long things can take, sometimes.

On that note, I hope nobody misinterprets any of my skepticism as anti-progress. If these boats are "research" for a more practical future technology, then I'm all for it.

• Baller

Than- If your grandfather is still around, thank him for me. We have been living off the grid for more than 18 years, and our original solar panels are still working like new. Batteries are another story. We are on our third set.

As for electric boats, the batteries are the limiting factor with regard to weight and run time. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Baller
I also must note that I'm not anti-progress, I'd just like to see advances that make sense in the real world. I just don't see electric motors as being a net positive, when compared to the tried and true internal combustion engine. Working in marketing, I guess I just get a chuckle when I see a product that runs 1/5 the time of a gas version, then requires charging time - oh ya, and it costs 50% more. These boats will sell as well New Coke did.

• Supporting Member

@Marco. My grandfather died in his mid-eighties some years ago. He had a great life and was quite sharp to the end.

A few years ago, I had the enormous privilege of speaking on his behalf when he was posthumously inducted into the Inventors Hall of Fame (which is in the same town as the NFL version: Canton OH). Man was that cool. Got to meet people who had invented all sorts of world-changing technologies, not least of which Tetracyclene, an antibiotic that I took for many years to treat severe acne. Meeting the man who's ideas prevented your own face from been pocked and scarred is pretty wild.

• Baller

Twenty years ago, the engine also wasn't responsible to power all the goodies, gadgets and safety features of today's vehicles. To me, it just seems that something like hydrogen may be more viable than electric, but I'm no engineer?

And yes, energy independence is needed, but that's a political problem, not a supply problem.

• Baller

Emissions kill gas mileage, so to be cleaner we use more gas, pretty messed up. But I digress. As long as the automotive industry is pumping money into battery and electric motor tech, the boat industry will benefit. The problem is charge time, too fast a charge batteries will over heat.

Solar panels on the bow of the boat would be a genius idea. As far at a paddle to recharge, I don't think you can do that. I could be wrong though.