AWSA Driver Background check?

Jody_Seal

• Baller

They should assess a $1-2 surcharge for each nationals and regionals registration and use that to partially fund the background checks. It wouldn't completely cover the costs but it'd be close enough so that funds from other budget line items could be moved over to cover the rest.

Without drivers there wouldn't be tournaments to ski in, so competitors should help pay instead of putting it all on volunteer drivers.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
JCAMP, Why should the competitors pay for the backrounds?????? The skiers are not asking for this . This is a mandate from the insurance companies so they can save money. If this is something that USA is enforcing than it should be there dime.

• Baller

@dave2ball The fact is that nobody is asking for this, not even USA Water Ski. Their insurance company is demanding this or we all face higher insurance costs (i.e. increased dues).

I'm suggesting competitors kick in a little bit so all of the financial burden isn't shouldered by volunteer drivers. Only seems fair to me since without drivers we can't have tournaments.

• Baller
This is an USA issue brought by the insurance companies. They should pay the bill. Not the competitors,drivers or judges. Most of which are competitors so they would still get stuck with a bill. As for promo boats getting stipend for events that is a thread for another day.

@Scotchipman the club I belong to is in the same scenario as yours... Talked to USA WS today and am still as confused as ever on how we insure our club without having every possible person to be behind a wheel "Rated". I did find out that there is a difference between a Rated USA WS Driver and an AWSA Rated driver. Either way, to compund the problem all NEW individuals who are trying to obtain "Rating" must submit the MVR. If anyone has any insight our a way to put this all into basic terms please throw it out there. The only thing I see this doing is taking clubs like ours and making them even more obselete as we are a lont time club but have NO members rated at anything...

I am not as much against the MVR check, as I am the $12.50. Most states $2.50 -$3.00 for a certified MVR, that you can get yourself in a couple of minutes. Assuming 800 drivers, that is a $7600.00 profit every two years for the third party. Why would they not let us send in our own MVR? Is there a secondary purpose of this new requirement?

• Baller
BTW, the large claims in 2011 were in Show Ski and Barefoot, right? Just checked out their respective official's directory under "Drivers". They all have the rating of "Trained". Really? Therefore, someone with a Trained Driver rating can drive a Class "C" Show Ski, Barefoot, Ski Race, etc., but NOT AWSA. We must have Regular rated drivers who have shown the ability to safely and efficiently operate a tow boat thru clinics, practical evaluations and tournament experience gathered over a number of years. Their drivers attend an afternoon clinic and away they go! Hmmmmm.

• Baller
After reading the above many questions arises. Why is the bar set so low for show and barefoot skiing?? The stakes are much higher the 3 event. Is it because it is not in the public eye as much? If they were gong to go to a regular driver status for driving a show ski or barefoot tournament who would set the standard for a regular if the majority are trained drivers? But what really sucks is that we AWSA 3 event have to pay the price for there inexperience and multi million dollar mistakes.

• Baller
Not to mention with show skiing, you have two and three boats with sometimes 20+ people on the water at once. Makes sense that there is increased risk in that. Doesn't make sense that their driver requirements are so much less than ours. REALLY doesn't make sense that we're getting the shaft for that.

• Baller_
It is a shame and yes we are getting the shaft for Corky's misadventures. The biggest problem is that again our sport is being generalized as the same sport that Corky and his band of Corkscrews participate in "Towed Water Sports". It just goes to show how out of touch USAWS is with tournament waterskiing and how even the AWSA leadership has allowed this to become reality. Bottom line each and every one in the AWSA needs to be in contact with their respective regional board member and EVP's and let them know how they feel about this issue even better a direct email to Mr. Crowley would even be more of an impact. bcrowley@usawaterski.org

• Members
USAWS wants me to pay for a background check THEY require, but if you want to hold a grass roots tournament, they'll give you $100 towards tee shirts and another $100 towards trophies. HMMMMMM!

I have written Bob Crowley at AWSA about this (his name appeared as author of the mass e-mail). No response as yet. I suspect there will not be.

To me, besides the obvious flaws in the premises and mechanism of the rules change- the other shoe will drop soon- a complete criminal background will be required- like the coaching rule change.

Equating vehicle driving (and passengers too)offenses to (potential) behavior at sanctioned 3-event waterski events, is at best faulty logic and at worst asinine.

I'm with Shane and Jody and let's make the JDWSA happen!

• Baller

I do not have a dog in the fight. But am going to add some gas to the fire.

I coached youth hockey for the past 6 years. They required me to join USA hockey for $40 plus another $5 for the state program every year in order to be on the ice with the kids. They also required me to get patched which required 3 different classes each having a cost and time, I forget the cost. Some of that cost was defrayed by the local program, but I never applied for reimbursement.

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I really like holding onto my money but it does not seem to me like $12.50 every two years should be a problem for the driver demographic. If it is, maybe there should be a hardship clause and tournaments could step up and help defray the cost for those drivers to keep them around. @GRS no idea about what the real cost is or the overhead of running the program.

My point is we are not alone in having requirements from a national organization

• Baller
I piss away $12.50 so fast it's pathetic. But thats for me. I will not pay $12.50 for the opportunity to spend hours in a boat in the hot sun and dragging a boat sometimes hundreds of miles round trip at my cost. I just went through a background check and drug test for my government security clearance and my company paid for it. I'm still completely irritated about the requirement to have my drivers record pulled as it is. The only way USAWS can get me to agree to it is if they pay.

why would you pay money to pull skiers you don t no and where out your boat for nothing ?think the skiers should through in .think i will just keep my boat for the family and have a stuby if i need it and stop for swim brakes whenever(bloody hot here in australia at the moment)mad thread this one.from an outsiders vew think your on the right track Shane H

• Baller

@allycat the boats used in tournaments are usually promo boats that are bought at a discount in exchange for agreeing to bring them to a certain number of tournaments. I don't know that the math works out for a promo boat but that is the logic behind why people bring their boats to tournaments and pull people they don't know. I will add that in the Eastern Region at most of the tournaments I go to the people know each other.

I am in the camp that the $12.50 isn't a big deal and I am willing to pay it. I understand the principle but it isn't enough money for me to get wrapped up in. Maybe a proposal would be to drop it off the USAWS annual registration fees for people that are drivers. That said it won't stop me from being a driver.

In addition for the record @rayn is a cheap bastard.