Sad day - Darrin Shapiro and family arrested

boarditup

http://m.thegardenisland.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/florida-pill-mill-owner-family-arrested/article_b79db098-514b-11e1-8e1d-001871e3ce6c.html

He was a former Wakeboarding champion and 3-event skier - and a 2010 inductee into the Waterski Hall of Fame. He came to wakeboarding through trick skiing. I've met him before and he seemed like a decent, nice guy. He really made some bad choices that he will suffer the consequences from.

• Baller
That article is a bit misleading. It says that the Shapiro's pain management practice was responsible for more opioid prescriptions than the entire state of California. In reality, it was Dr. Jumanni who was responsible. He worked at 3 different pain management clinics, one of which was the Shapiro's. The DEA actually went undercover at one of the other clinics, which is what they intially busted him for. Later, they went after the Shapiro's. I believe law enforcement arrested the owners of the other 2 clinics, also. Just want the information to be a little more correct.

• Baller

Weren't opioids created to manage pain? As an arthritis sufferer, I'm lucky that my effective medicines are Alleve and alcohol - legal and accepted by society (and WADA approved). I have reactions to ibuprophen, Tylenol is ineffective and Celebrex is both ineffective and scary. It bothers me that our society has taboos against effective medicines. Especially when those taboos increase suffering. Pain management clinics can be extremely valueable rescources.

I know nothing about Darrin or his clinic. Hang him if he's a filthy pusher. But if he is legitimately treating the pain and suffering of our aging population, then I wish him well.

Eric

• Administrators

I saw this and did not post it for 2 reasons:

1) Darin is really a wakeboarder and not a skier

2) There is just nothing positive about it

Comment if you must but I am moving this to the "Members Only" section.

• Baller_
Well, it does segue into a legitimate topic, to wit, what do we aging slalom skiers use to manage pain. Tylonal etc., is a given. Anything else? I have had cortisone in both shoulders, both elbows, and in my back. I regularly go to the chiropractor. I do a ton of core work. And I still hurt. I have a prescription for hydrocodone and it works great, but the second day after I have taken it, I can't think straight. So I avoid it until I am desperate. Other solutions?

Lpskier

• Supporting Member

I don't drink much alcohol, but I came pretty close to buying a T-shirt at The Iron Cactus in Austin, TX that read "Life is too short for cheap tequila."

If you find yourself in Austin, I highly recommend stopping there for a Marguerita (which I'm not sure I know how to spell). Only problem: All Margueritas back in the northeast taste like hell for about 2 months until I begin to forget the awesomeness of The Iron Cactus.

• Baller

I used to be addicted to ibuprofen, but I've made a concerted effort to stretch and warm up properly before and after exercise and now I'm only using pain relief for the occasional headache.

I do yoga at least two times a week along with an hour long stretching regime another couple of times a week. I've been free of what I thought was chronic pain for the past three or four months.... Knock on wood!