Block Heater

501Brandon

• Baller

Here in Colorado, it can get below freezing in October before we are done skiing. On those nights, I'll leave the boat in the water and put a shop light under the engine cover. Haven't had any problems with temps dipping to the mid 20's. If it is forecasted to be lower than that, I'll put it in the garage just to be safe.

I saw the results of a friend who waited too long to winterize his boat. It wasn't pretty.

I really dont like pulling the plugs over and over either... Problem is (or at least preceived) is the knock sensors are mounted to the block pulgs and dont want to modify or disturb that setup... The magnetic one sounds good I may give it a look see, that way I can blow the heater out & crack a few other lines I should be golden... Plus I am a big believer in "Anti Seize" and that crap gets all over, Part of my OCD I cant pull them and not clean and reapply...

• Baller_
@klondike - we've been installing "quick drain kits" into tournament boats for over 10 years now, haven't ever had problems with adding a "t" and a drain valve to the sides of the block. Knock sensors properly installed do not care if there is a drain valve in the mix. Drain the manifolds, sides of the block, blow out the heater, and pump out the shower, and cold temps aren't a factor. That way the boat can be stored without the need for electricity. The next time we're up at Radar Lake, I'll take some pics of "system" that we installed on the MB that's up there on the lift.

• Baller
There are two different types of block heaters. One, as mentioned just slaps on the oil pan and keeps the oil in the pan warm. The other is a screw in element that would go either in a screw in freeze plug boss, or in a fitting in a hose to warm the coolant. Obviously, you're only guaranteed the second type working well if you have a closed cooling system.

• Baller
So, its always good to think about these things when the temps get cold. Hre in central TX, it can get to the point wher it doesn't get above freezing in a 24 hour strech, but that is pretty rare, seems like. I've long thought about ways to keep the engine warm when its cold out, and have resorted to the 100 watt light bulb most often. Others above talk of golden rods and heating pads for the oil pan. Has anyone ever seen or heard of explosions / fire occuring from any of those methods listed above? Seems like maybe heating pad would be safest. I've also seen the specialty (expensive!) boat block heaters, like the extreeme heaters and such. What I have done in the past is, because my boat is on a lift, if it gets to say 25 at night, I''ll drop the boat in the water for overnight. Never heard of a boat motor freezing when it was in the water.. Im sure its possible though. Interested in the quick drain kits though, tell more, post pics...