Leg press or squats?

Taelan28

Whats better, leg press or squats? I want hydraulic power from my legs.

Ive always used leg press as it offered a lot of stability and consistency (less ways to cheat and get hurt) to my messy form, but not many gyms have a good leg press and I'm considering doing squats.

Your thoughts?

for what its worth, I have been doing the "insanity" workout program for a little over 30 days, I have developed a ton of power in the lower body, leg flexibility is tremendous as well. Not to mention the overall conditioning I am getting. Plus I am running 3 miles 2-3 days a week on top of that... Next to the P90X program I would say Insanity is a really good conditioning program that doesnt require any equipment!

• Baller
If done correctly, squats are preferred to leg press. The static motion of the leg press doesn't leverage the stabilizers or give you the freedom to adjust to what is the most natural movementvof your body. If you have knee trouble, lighter weight may be necessary. Just remember to drive knees outward while squatting, and push up through your heels

• Baller

I agree with Texas6 that squats are a much better ski related workout than leg press. They require more overall strength in your body and are a more dynamic motion. Free weights require you to stabilize while doing the press which will give you the dynamic strength you require on the water. I would highly recommend finding a trainer who specializes in Olympic lifting to show you the proper technique to do these. Its amazing what a little coaching can do for your lifting.

• Baller
Definitely do not try squats without having a real coach instruct you. Done correctly they are awesome. The problem is that 99% of the people in the gyms, even the trainers, don't really understand how to coach someone to do squats. Rossi's got a great idea on olympic lifting. A routine that includes clean and jerks, squats, snatches, and presses will build power very quickly.

• Baller
I don't do squats because I don't know the proper technique. I mix it up with incline leg press, and nautilus leg curls, and leg extensions. I am hoping to be back on the water in 45 days I am switching from 3 days of weight training, and 4 days of cardio to 2 days of weights and 5 days of cardio. Once the weather warms up I will also add rollerblading to the mix..

• Baller
Other fantastic sport specific leg exercises that improve balance and explosive power include one legged dead lifts, lunges, box jumps, and compound movements that leverage your core and legs such as dead lifts, snatches, burpees, etc. Good luck!

I used to hate on machines because they didnt give you the muscle stabilizing qualities. I've since changed my mind and believe they are a great supplement because they really allow you to isolate and contract your muscles really tightly. Doing dumbell curls and preachers loose their difficulty as you get closer to finishing the rep, but fly machines and curl machines maintain their tension throughout the rep. Throwing it a set or two of machines really allows me to accelerate my free weight progression.

All of you have good advice, it seems that I should give up my hunt for a good leg press and try some squats. I did have a trainer show me a few months ago. I had a lot of trouble staying on my heels. It looks like I'll have to to a really light weight for a long time until my muscle memory can lock down the motion. Thanks everyone.

• Baller
I used to jump on my bike and put it in like 15th gear (don't remember how many gears it has) and then go 100% for as long as I could, go slower for a minite or so, then repeat. Easy on the knees and i could barely walk when done.

Recommend the bike routine mentioned by AB and low weight, high rep sqauts. With low weights you can maintain better (safer) form- if your form breaks the uncontrolled weight isn't as likely to wreck something really hard to rehab right before ski season.

Side benefit to squats and other large movement exercizes- they burn a lot of calories, and elevate your metabolism and keep burning calories after the work-outs.

As bhs mentioned, mark rippetoe is top notch - he has video on youtube and those will show you how to squat and deadlift. Personally I am not a fan of his routine starting strength though, it isn't balanced.

• Baller

Squats, then leg press. I use knee wraps on squats once past warm ups. Having feet pointed out a bit is easier on knees and back.

Those that are really flexible can do them with feet pointed straight ahead. (Usually with lighter weights).

Lunges are hard on the knees. At least mine....

One legged squats (aka 'pistols') are REALLY good for any physical activity involving legs and balance.

They are particularly good because they remove the dominant leg from the equation entirely and develop the balance muscles and coordination.

Work your way up (they are hard) - you will feel all your stabilizers sore the next day too.

bhs, it is the number of movements in my opinion. Don't get me wrong those lifts should involved in a strength program, and if you're a beginner lifter and your goals involve putting up big numbers in the gym than it is a good routine.

Personally I like hitting muscles from different angles. It is important to train specific and as an athlete I feel it is valuable to include functional movements such as chins, dips, and various plyometrics exercises as well as (but not as frequently) the compound lifts. If all you need to do is push straight ahead then it is golden, but what if you need to push to the side? I also feel agility training is underutilized in almost all gym programs people are doing these days.