Golfers elbow

Mazda

• Baller
Has anyone out there suffered from golfers elbow? I have been nursing a tender elbow for 2 years. I have tried icing, anti inflammatory drugs, rest and a steroid shot. The pain/stiffness never completely went away. With skiing season approaching I'm starting to panic that I will not recover. Has anyone successfully dealt with a similar condition?

• Baller

Try switching to a bent handle. That eased the stress on my elbows. I hate the bent handle for performance but my elbows are much happier. Just a couple of straight handle sets lights it up again.

Youth is wasted on young people!

Eric

• Baller
The use of a radius handle has helped mine quite a bit. I will add that I switch to a baseball grip (both hands over the top of the handle) when I am getting pulled out of the water and then again at my pull out at the end of my pass. I have also began using the arm bands on both my forearms which I am told helps preventatively, but not much after the inflamation begins. Other than that, I have to deal with it and it is really tough to make disappear once it starts. Last season was my best in several years due to implementing the above measures however.

• Baller

Yep. I've had it for a couple of years. I skied most of last year with a tennis elbow strap similar to this one:link Seems to help a lot.

Also, start with both palms down - this will also help. I'm betting it's in your "up" arm, usually left elbow for rff skiers.

• Baller
I've had it bad a few times, the cleaner I ski, the less it affects me. I also went to getting up with both palms down. For me, eliminate the "hits" and the elbow feels pretty good, if I'm doing splash turns and not controlling the rope, the elbow feels like sheet.

• Baller

This sidelined me for a year and a half after screwing mine up while playing football with the kids. Knifing pain just coming out of the water (with hands on top).

ASTYM therapy helped a lot http://www.astym.com/default.asp. There is also a stretch you and everyone else should be doing daily if you have problems. Stand in front of a table and reverse your hand so your fingers grab the edge and then put your palm down on the table. Lean over your straightened arm so you get a good stretch, not painful stretch.

Massaging the area along the inner arm up into bicep also helps blood flow. Light curls with high reps also help, and you will know if it is too much weight, as it will hurt. You want blood flow to help healing. Tieing a 10 or 20 pound weight on an 1" dowel and winding it up and down also helps, again, as light as you need so it doesn't hurt.

There is also a rubber tube Theraband Flextube product I bought and you twist it and I am not sure this helped a whole lot. It is kind of funky to use.

I also went to PT and was getting anti-imflamatory patch injections. With deep tissue massage.

Put it all together, and I finally got back on the water toward the middle of last summer and was able to ski at a moderate level without pain.

Cortizone lasted a few days for me. Not a solution.

• Baller
I had a severe case several years ago. Lasted over a year. IBU helped to calm it down and I also went to a radius bent handle with the anti-roll. I do not know if the anti-roll had anything to do with the recovery but I do believe the bent handle did. I also try to never take a hit out of the buoy. Has not come back since.

• Baller_
I'll add something the Italian national record holder told me ( no name.. Don't want the "name dropper" butten clicked). Anyway, he used a rope needle and placed a piece of rubber tubing ( small thicker walled) into the hollow of the bridal where it would fit. As the line tightns it compressses the tubing inside the rope and acts a a shock obsorber. He only uses this handle in practice I believe as it would make the handle to short. I tried it. And it worked for me along with clincher type gloves and a bent/radious handle. Like all suggestion above.

• Baller
one strange thing I found is that rest and/or "doing nothing" does not make it go away. I had it bad from golfing a few years back. Season ends in Oct up here. By March it was still as bad as ever. Eventually ended up in PT to get rid of it.

• Baller

Here is an exercise that seems to have cured me of the problem you describe:

Hold your hand out straight with the palm out and the fingers up, like a cop stopping traffic. With the other hand pull your fingers back toward your body, then point your fingers towards the floor and pull back on the fingers again. Repeat with other hand.

Like scuppers said- the curls with perfect form/lower weights can 'rehab' them. (Too much weight and bad form can(did) cause the problem.) During my rehabbing I did only hammer curls until the muscles were strong enough to ensure control and proper form.

• Baller_
I have tried and implemented just about all of the above, plus new rope twice a season to avoid overly stiff mainlines. Still have golfer's elbow pretty bad. Cortisone works for me, so I will probably get a shot as I get closer to June, but what I am thinking about right now is Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. Has anyone tried it? @Brent, what does your wife think? @Nater: What did you change in your ski set up that helped?

Lpskier

• Baller
A friends wife had PRP in shoulder and she is very good now. She was Ina lot of pain initially and I doubt you will be skiing for several weeks. I checked into it as a last resort, and it was going to be over winter for me. Luckily, the above regimen I listed got me turned around. I have been using a radius ARS for years, more for tennis elbow. My golfers was initiated in football, but skiimg really inflamed it.

• Baller

I highly recommend PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy. I have had eight treatments in various locations and all but two have been successful. The two that didn't work were in my right shoulder, followed by surgery. After the surgery, from the work that had to be done, I know there is no way anything would have helped but getting it fixed. In August of 2010 both elbows were so sore during and after skiing it made it pretty hard to think about skiing again. The left elbow had a huge bone spur that was cutting through the tricep, so I decided that it needed surgery. The right elbow actually hurt worse and I decided to do PRP on that one. I started off with a PRP injection in the bottom of the elbow, where most of the pain was. In two to three weeks it was 75% better. At that time, with the reduced pail level in the bottom, the top was then hurting the worst. I then had a PRP injection in the top. In another two to three weeks, the top was 95% better and the bottom was around 80% improved. I decided to have a second injection in the bottom (three total injections in the elbow overall). After another three weeks both the top and bottom felt like they have improved 95%, I skied all last summer after the treatments (from September 2010 to November 2010) with no new flare ups. (The surgery on my left elbow was Jan 2011). I skied today, and as I write this there is very, very, minor tenderness in my right elbow, and a little more tenderness in the left (surgery) elbow. My guess is that in a few years, PRP will be tried before most orthopedic surgeries. I see absolutely no downside to it. Very little pain having the injections in elbows, a little more in shoulders, pretty unpleasant in ankles, and hurts like H*LL in a heel, but worked extremely well in all cases except my shoulder. (The shoulder took a two row rotater cuff repair with two anchors, a slap repair, three more pages of surgeons notes including grinding the inside of the bursa to make space). Hmmmm ..... maybe I'm getting too old for this sport!

Dave

• Baller_
@skiinxs Were you required to lay off the elbow after the injections? In other words, if I had an injection now, would I have to take time off while the elbow healed? Second question: Any problems with your insurance company? Thanks!

Lpskier

• Baller

When I checked with my insurance last year, they were balking on covering PRP. I went with ASTYM, and that was.

At the time, there wasn't much published on golfers elbow and PRP, so that along with insurance made me postpone it.

So far so good this year, although, I can feel both elbows a little. I tweaked the left elbow hitting a non-visable tree root playing golf last summer. My right elbow had been the original problem. Now I have both less than 100%. Sucks to get old.