eyewear and starting boat in cold weather

WBLskier

• Baller

I ski up in MN and the air temp can get pretty cold sometimes. I skied a month ago and the air temp was in the 70’s. Tomorrow morning it is going to be under 35 when we go. Does anyone have a good suggestion for eyewear to wear when it is cold or raining? I’ve tried downhill ski goggles before and they are okay, but they always seem to throw my depth perception off a bit. I’d like to find something that would help on the really cold mornings or for in the rain that is easier to see through and fit more like sunglasses.

Also, I’ve heard it can be bad for an engine to start it when it is cold since it uses thicker diesel oil. Is there any truth to this? Seems crazy since a million diesel cars start up here in the winter when its 20 below zero, but I thought I’d throw it out there. Thanks.

• Baller_

Start up is the most damaging event on a properly functioning engine, and yes, when cold there are a couple of concerns. It is more difficult to lubricate the parts with more viscous oil (cold) until it is warmed up and when cold the oil pressure will be significantly higher than warmed up oil so there is a better chance of blowing out some of the seals (oil filter) that are under pressure. I would suggest you simply run the boat at slower engine speeds until the water temp starts to come up, then you can proceed in to the course or run at the elevated rpm's. You are correct, most vehicles operate at much more extreme conditions (colder) than ski boats, but don't tend to run constantly at elevated rpm's.

Some of the available goggles arn't too bad, I use them for bugs in the evening but they do skew the vision a bit and the water droplets can be annoying.

PS: Are the Vikings going to LA or will the stadium be approved?

I have a pair of prescription glasses that are made for racket ball held on with a strap around your head. I still tie them off to the vest. They do work OK but I still like Nothing.

I start my boat and let it run at idle until the thermostat has opened even in warm weather. I idle around this gives the transmission a chance to get the oil moving in it also.

I worked at one of the big three for 30+ years and we tested at -50 deg all the time. Many of our tests only gave the engine 20 seconds before going into drive cycles. I will say autos do use a light viscosity oil today but in the old days the oil was not that light.