Page 70 waterski mag

aussiemc

I think the outback with that tower is in no-man's land. Wakeboarders won't want a direct drive for the price they're asking and a skier dedicated enough to want a direct drive won't want that tower. You can buy the outback without the tower or with another tower (I tried) but it's a special order and with skier's choice you have to do so from your nearest dealer- so if you can't bargain that particular dealer down enough you can't just work with another dealer.

I'm wondering how long until the outback goes by way of the Supra Comp.

• Baller

I wonder what percentage of skiers who buy a Moomba, or any other dedicated ski boat actually ski at anything shorter than 28' off. I bet it's < 10%.

In cottage country north of Toronto, there are plenty of ski boats that have never been through a slalom course.

Out of the hundreds of boats I see around locally, (many DD's) a very small handful are used for slalom skiing and an even smaller handful is used for course skiing. I see folks skiing behind anything they can afford.

Just the reality of a niche market.

• Baller
Okay, enough with the outback bashing. Agreed, its not the best boat.. but there are many worse (looking at you mc 205) The wake is not bad at shortline speeds, but the hull hasn't been updated in 7 or 8 years now.. its not like the big 3, they get a new hull every year. My tower is the older tower that is polished aluminum, doesn't affect slalom. runs a standard indmar 325.. has acceptable bowrise, and mine has had very good reliability.

• Baller
I test drove one two years ago and I really liked it. It was a brand new 2010 or maybe 2011. I thought it skied great at my level thru 28. Has alot of room, rode nice and plenty of room for the family. Fully loaded was like 39K. I ended up buying a boat I could afford in cash vs the finance deal. But I would definatley consider one ( not with that fugly tower though!) when it's time to upgrade to a bigger boat. I bet a fully loaded CC 200 OB with tower , bimini , shower, heater , ZO would come close to double.

@usaski1 not bashing your outback at all, just the new tower and skier's choice dealer territory system. I like the roominess of the outback's bow and the 10 person seating capacity, and moomba materials have come a long way in the last few years- but when I priced a 2012 outback with the older tower, ZO and heater it was 43-44k after boat show incentives, dealer incentives and such. I tried to buy a holdover from a different dealer and couldn't because of dealer territories. I've had no problems with my moomba "family boat" though, just couldn't stomach the depreciation on a new outback.

• Baller
I paid way less than 40k for mine.. 33k with tax, otd. It was a 2008 that I bought in 2010. as a dealer leftover, some dealer went under I think in the 2008 "financial meltdown". I never intended to be a Moomba owner, but I was super pissed at my previous boat, (poor reliability) and had it in for servicing. While I was there I was like, you know what, time for another boat... They took my old closed bow on trade (tried to sell it and couldn't) and I towed home the 2008 leftover for a good deal. Most things I have been pretty pleased with... I do think the 15 off wakes at slower speeds are large.. But I can ski them. Do I with I had a Malibu? or Nautique? yeah... I also like my 20k in the bank more though. Only thing I wish is that I would have bought the bullet and did the ECM upgrade, and put actual ZO in it. Its a DBW. but doesn't have the e-controlls ecm for ZO. I was quoted as much as ZO to do the ECM. on it... then I still had to buy ZO... so I got SG and now the Z-box. Not bad. But too much jacking around with Z-box.

• Baller
I think it's back to 2010 now since I priced out a base Outback, for a slalom tractor (no tower). It was under $30k, before tax, etc. I thought it skied fine, and had essentially a base MC powerplant - at least at the time. The materials were certainly not up to par with MC or CC, but the the price reflected it. I opted for a used '08 196 instead, which was the right move for me.

• Baller
@unksskis That's interesting. Are you paying for the 205? When we looked for our first DD ski boat ever, there was a $20 000 difference between a brand new Outback and a one year old Nautique 206. I sure enjoyed spending that $20 grand on trips to Costa Rica and Florida.

imo... for 30k the outback is a great boat for the $- you guys who got one a few years ago sound like you did well.

now the price has increased (base with freight and prep for me was $40,205 + options and tax) and at 40k other options come into play

@aussiemc original point stands- I would like to see somebody ski -32 or -35 and see what happens with that tower

I might not ever ski those lengths but I don't want to own a boat that reminds me of that every time I look at it