Big Dawg Cypress Texas Preliminary Running Order

Horton

• Baller
Joe, from this attached PDF file I received from Greg Davis, it looks like the seeding was based on the 2011 Big Dawg Finals for those skiers that skied in the finals. For all others, seeding is based on the date of entry with a random drawing for all skiers entering on the same day. At least that is what I can gather from this spreadsheet. Not sure why the seeding couldn't use the USAwaterski ranking list since that information would be in the download registration template.

• Baller
@Kelvin - thanks. That's an odd way of doing things when a much easier (and accurate) method is available via USAWS web. Also, by splitting up the skiers on two lakes and not seeding in typical fashion, it will be difficult to track scores. And, I'm glad I'm not driving this event. That's a long day for two drivers!

• Baller
Since the finals are head to head and you never know which driver you will get, the prelims are set up so that every skier has the chance to ski behind each driver. It has been that way for several years where Tim and Becky have each pulled all skiers in the prelims. Only this year the timeframe is compressed and there is a full contingent of 50 skiers. They will have some breaks, but not as long as previous years.

• Baller
I used to think it was abuse, but some drivers just like to drive. Tim and Becky are both great. They aren't going to Houston to ski. I would guess their motto would be "you can have the wheel when you pry my cold dead fingers off of it". Thanks to them both in advance.

• Baller

First Big Dawg, ( 2004 ) in Ohio no seeding, running order was established from random draw.

Then we changed seeding procedure to USA Water ski buoy count. ( problem is when international skiers partisipated, they had no USA Water Ski buoy count )

Then went to IWWF ranking system for seeding, Problem there was time lag in published ranking list.

Then we went to a spreadsheet system taking all qualifiers into consideration. There were some big problems with that sytem.

Latest change, seeding for TX and Canada, based on score from 2011 BD Finals. The Finals 2012 at Okeeheelee, will be seeded by 2012 Official Qualifer scores. Always seems like no matter what procedure we use there is some kind of problem. In any case, TX is going to be very, very, very competitive. Only aoubt 20 skiers from TX will qualify for finals: The sweet 16 and ( places 17.18.19 and 20 ) will get invitation to Finals in West Palm Beach. This is unofficial, and only a calculated guess.

• Baller
@Scotchipman no not yet, @Horton is holding that project up a bit.. finishing up a iPhone version update this coming week first. There is this nice little button under the words tip jar on the left side of the website that would motivate me a bit, I am an Apple guy through and through and lacking "motivation" to start a new project. Pumping hundreds of hours into something and not get paid for it is not exactly the most exciting project when I have already done it once for iPhone, its like re inventing the wheel!

I'll have my spreadsheet going as well that will be able to see each skiers score tell you who the top 8 single best scores (Seeds 1-8) are as well as Seeds 9-16 based on cumm averages. It may not be as fast updating with the two lakes but I'll keep it as quickly updated as possible. You'll be able to get a link to it on my website, www.marcshaw.net

I'll get it up by Friday and hopefully make some updates to the site that sorely needs some loving.

• Baller
@Scott...I agree with what you are saying but Shane isn't far off. I have a pool thermometer that I threw into the lake for just this purpose today because my MC has no thermometer. It read 97 degrees. It's nasty down here in the dirty south right now. Pack your AC if you are headed this way

• Baller
Scot, I have a pool thermometer. Boat read 104f water temp. Pool thermometer read 101. Our lake is only 5ft deep so not a whole lot of volume although it's 12 surface acres. I also ski at Cypress (since I live 5 minutes from there) a couple of times a week and with the pumps running, their water is cooler right now. When I was there Saturday it was probably 90 deg water.

• Baller
I remember skiing at Banana Bend in Houston years ago and the water was right at 100 after a hot stretch. It was awful, took away all your energy. When you'd drop in at the end it felt like you were getting in a hot tub.

• Baller
Oooof. I hear that from people who ski in what I consider cooler water. Maybe that works when you go from 75 to 88. But there's a HUGE difference in going from 90 to 98 degree water. Moving the fin back or adding wing angle at 98 is a mistake IMO. If you were to do that, the ski won't be free enough to rotate under you.

• Baller

Most people I know around here take wing angle out or move the bindings back when the water warms up to the upper 90s. Honestly, I can't even fathom more ski in the water in this soup. You can actually feel the ski grabbing and releasing in the gate glide when the water gets close to 100 here.

FWIW..........I checked the water temp when I dropped the boats into the water at Cypress this morning. 86 degrees on pool thermometer at the surface. Should be nice. Right now there's a good bit of cloud cover forecast for the weekend. If that stays the case, we might maintain some reasonable water temps.

• Supporting Member

For me, 1 degree is a pretty big move. I run a shallower wing than a lot of skiers around my level: normally 7 degrees. I've had some success going to 6 when the water is extremely hot (90+), just because it makes the ski feel faster and let me maintain my usual timing.

However, I have tried going to 8 in very cold water, which seems like it should be the equivalent move, but that doesn't seem to work for me (at all).

• Baller
@Texas6 -The other day when the water got to 101, the tip was just engaging WAY too soon at 35. We debated on moving the bindings back 1/8 or taking wing angle out. Since wing angle is far easier to do with the EXO bindings I have(due to measuring, not the actual moving of the binding), I took 1 degree out and all was good again. Yesterday, Charles was experiencing much the same thing. The tip just wanted to engage too hard at 38. He only skied that one set, but we found ourselves debating, 1 degree less wing, move bindings back an 1/8th, or take a little tip out.

• Baller
Thx Gents, very helpful. I have noticed different behavior in my ski since it warmed up in the past couple of weeks. Lately, I generally get through 32 with a few shots at 35 in a given set. But my ski has been biting a bit in the turns and it sounds a bit indicitave of this warm water phenomenon your referring too. I'll take one degree out for tomorrow's set and see what happens. Thx a million for the advice! Super helpful

• Baller
I practiced the BigDawg site this morning, they say the water is about 100 but didn't feel like that to me. The lakes ski great and guys were knocking down 39s. A thunderstorm blew in early afternoon and as long as we don't have more of that, there should be many big scores