Should B2 slalom skiers be allowed to use the light/junior ropes?

ToddL

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@ToddL - I'm sure it will NOT become available - not with 10/11 year old girls running currently running into -35, no, NOT going to happen. . .. I'm sure Brenda would NOT make one for me if I called. Pretty sure those girls could NOT hold up a standard line either. Two year old on tied together trick skis at Nationals - not in our life time.

• Baller

So, if we had the rule that the skier was not allowed to use a lightweight rope unless the starting speed was at or below 23 MPH, are you still concerned, @elr?

Let's see... let's assume that B2 skier even started at -15.

Pass 1. 37 (23.0) -15

Pass 2. 40 (24.9) -15

Pass 3. 43 (26.7) -15

Pass 4. 46 (28.6) -15

Pass 5. 49 (30.4) -15

Pass 6. 52 (32.3) -15

Pass 7. 55 (34.2) -15

Pass 8. 55 (34.2) -22

Pass 9. 55 (34.2) -28

Pass 10. 55 (34.2) -32

Pass 11. 55 (34.2) -35

Pass 12. 55 (34.2) -38

Pass 13. 55 (34.2) -39.5

Yep... I see that happening all the time in tournaments.

I wonder what the record for the most number of consecutive passes (no re-rides/run-offs, etc) in a single tournament set is? I've seen a junior start at 17 and make it to 26.7, but that's only 6 passes. I've seen an adult start at -22 and make it to -38. That is only 5 passes.

Nine consecutive passes is really unlikely. Thirteen? Ha!

• Baller

The entertainment value of starting at 23 mph and then opting up to 32 off would be pretty awesome!!

That said, I think it's pretty clear that a super-stretchy rope is horrible for deep shortline. Elongation only occurs under tension, so as you try to get out to the buoy, that rope is getting shorter. You're not getting any inches when you most it, and instead you're being bungeed downcourse.

So I just don't think that's a concern. At the least, it's unlikely enough that we can wait to see it actually happen before doing anything about it.

• Baller_

If the issue is IWSF rules, the solution is very simple: let each kid choose which rope to use. I've seen split divisions, for example E vs L within the same division. Only the higher end kids skiing deep shortline will need to choose the standard rope and they won't be starting at long line to begin with.

Setting the criteria at some speed like 23mph still penalizes many kids. The real problem is the rope dragging in the water - which happens with light kids and at long line. Still a major problem for the 70 lb kid starting at 32mph long line. But he won't be concerned with IWSF standings anyway.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Just a reminder...

The current AWSA rules allow this skier to use a light rope with no restrictions on line length or starting speed.

DSC_0023.JPG

But they do not let this skier use one...

9d4722fc9dda0ad5985eb39bbd6734.jpg

• Baller

Maybe the skier on the bottom should start working out as much as the skier on top.

As lmfao would say " I work out" All the olds who don't get it, ask you kids

Sorry......... it was a joke. Am I banned for life?

• Baller

@elr. Yes, that is OK.

But as usual the "spin" is important. We could also say "appropriate gear for a smaller skier" which of course is not appropriate gear for a larger skier.

A 62" ski could be described in exactly the same way: it is an advantage to a smaller skier, but would be useless to me.

• Baller

BTW - I am glad that @elr is contributing to the discussion. His opinions are no more or less important than my own. He has caused me to think about my proposal and fill in some gaps and clarify some elements.

Also note: this thread started as a Poll. Less than 25% of those responded are against making a change. So the overwhelming majority (75+%) agree that B2 should have the option. If AWSA represents its membership, then there should be sufficient pressure to make some soft of change to "allow for appropriate equipment for a smaller skier". (Thanks @Than)

• Baller
A lighter rope will likely stretch, let's say, 1-2 feet with a kid that weighs 70 lbs. a "heavy" rope will stretch, oh, say, 1-2 feet with a 140 lb skier. Certainly Russel could measure this in the shop. Why do you continue to think a stretchy rope is an advantage?

• Baller

Ms. Rules is supportive of the change and has been for many years. She confirmed that Technical committee (all of them) also recommended the change to the rules. The executive board decided against it. As I have recently learned, there was someone who described a single B2 skier and suggested that such a rope would be unsafe for him. Further a lawyer made a comment about insufficient load data to move forward without risk.

I find it interesting that in the complete absence of empirical data, G2 and W6+ are allowed the option of the light rope, but B2 is not due to lack of empirical data. It seems inconsistent to me.

BTW - rumor is that a load gauge may be available at the fall boat tests to gather the necessary empirical data. We may need some B2, G2, and W6+ skiers for context and data. I'll put out an official call for skiers once I know more.

• Baller
My son, weighing in at 75 lbs,wanted to try the big boy's rope since his next tourney is in B2. Usually runs 30-15 in tourney, and ran 1@28 in practice a few days ago( with jr rope). After 4 egg-beater falls at 26 point whatever (his opener) I made him stop. If this were 6 months ago, he would've quit (has just started growing into a confident kid).I'm talking him through it and telling him he will adapt and be ok, but honestly I'm not real sure. He says it starts at the gate with slack and yanks him forward from there. It's painful and scarey to watch.As I stated previously, It's not just long line. It would be like us adults using a no-stretch Kevlar line for slalom.

• Baller

The division has a range of 65 to 150lbs. What works for a 135lbs 5'5 13 yo may be overwelming for a 70 lb 4'8 10 yo. This is a novice division for the most part and we should not try to discourage anyones progress. If it means add a rope or redsign the division then maybe it should be looked into.