What's the Slalom equivalent of say an eight handicap in golf? 18? Scratch?

Ghibli

• Administrators

No such thing in skiing and I sort if think it is a bad idea. I like to say.... "We all struggle our our own level".

My desire to run 38 (did it twice yesterday) is no different than my ski buddy Charlies desire to run 35 (he had in the bag yesterday and blew it).

I guess you could look at the rankings list and find a # http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-StandingsHQ.asp?pvar=National

• Baller

@Horton in golf everybody struggles at their own level also. In my early thirties I was a scratch golfer and the way I pushed to break 70 every round my other buddies tried to break 80, 90 or 100.

There is a much smaller sample of skiers but I would put scratch somewhere around running deep 38.

• Baller

As a rough wag, you could classify it similar to this, and interpolate when less than a full pass:

15' off - 18 Handicap (Bogey Golfer)

22' - 14 Handicap

28' - 10 Handicap

32' - 6 Handicap

35' - 2 Handicap

38' - Scratch

39' - +2

41' - +4

43' - +6

I have no data or statistics to back this up...just my .02. The argument could also be made, if you consider every Wally who has ever put on a slalom ski, that any one who has completed a pass in the course is a single digit handicapper. I guess it depends on how many folks you want to consider.

• Baller
@Horton the difference between a scratch golfer and +2 is pretty substantial. The difference between scratch and + 4 or 5 is someone like me who was a decent amateur and someone who plays on tour. Someone like Tiger is + 7 or so which would be Nate Smith territory.