Little embarrassing...Need some help

Joeprunc

This is a newb request please be nice...

I finally got some video of my skiing and realized I need A LOT of WORK! It's a bit embarrassing posting a video of me in comparison to most of the other videos are of you guys working at 35' and 38' off. But I'm transitioning from wakeboarding and really want to keep improving (only on my third season on a skinny stick).

This is my fourth time skiing on a new to me 65" Vice, I moved from a 67" F1X. I'm 5'-9" 155 lbs running at 32 mph with 15' off. Fin is stock, with break removed, front binding is 28.75" from the tail (I didn't like the 28.5" very much, though I may move it back and also angle the rear boot). As you can see I am having a hell of a time on my off side turn and cut. I can clearly see that am breaking at the waste and letting off my cut way to early (actually I'm pretty sure I'm chickening out when I get to the 1st wake).

So what can I do to improve my offside? What else can I work on? I set up a rope and handle in the garage, and spend as much time as I can throughout the day practicing my leaning, but it doesn't seem to translate to the water.

• Baller

1st thing you need to do is buy some gloves! seriously DO IT, you'll be able to generate more angle more efficiently, which in a way is the #1 thing you need to work on.

your skiing looks pretty good actually, what you need to work on most importantly is the ability to get into the proper body alignment.

if you look at the video frame by frame you'll notice esspecially on your offside wake crossing your hands are up near your shoulders, which is why you have no leverage, and the boat starts to pull from your shoulders, forcing your chest and head down, where you can get into even more problems in OTF type crashes.

you need to let the pull to come from your centre of mass (hips area), not your shoulders. You will be able to hold on to more power and let the ski do its job.

watch Terry Winter's vids, esspecially this one:

Rod, yes that's the delta. Were new in the area and trying to have fun here.

Killer, That makes a lot of sense. Last night I went OTF with a double front flip going into the three ball. And it makes sense because I late and trying to pull harder, but did not have the correct body position or leverage.

So to help with better alignment is there a drill or particular point I should focus on? After looking at my turns, it looks like I am forward to start out the turn, which only amplifies as my second hand comes back on the handle. It also looks like I'm rushing to drop my hand and bring it back on.

Either way, thank you killer, and I will invest in a set of gloves.

• Baller

There have been some great posts recently on this topic, check out @than bogan thread/article on the leverage position.

Get a lesson! And practice on dry land with a handle attached to something. Watch that terry winter video 1,000,000 times and click frame by frame.

Skiing is generally NOT an overnight from zero to hero sport, but you actually have good fundamentals on the ski, it looks like you ski aggressively and confidently. You look comfortable on the ski in orher words. Not a sport for the timid...

1 great tip is when you learn how to stand in the proper position aka "stacked" (research this term) on the ski, do it All The Time. When you get up, when youre gliding, when you let go of the handle, etc. hope this helps!!

• Baller

@Joeprunc You look better than I thought you would from your own description. @Killer is right on all counts. I would add the following Seth Stisher drill. I'm sure you've had people tell you that you need to get your hips up to the handle. Sometimes it helps to come at this from another angle. Try getting your shoulder blades closer to the water while pulling. This brings the handle down closer to your hips. Maintain a tall stacked body with your arms out straight. If you do a bunch of Seth's Pull-out drill like this, it takes the wakes out of the equation while you get comfortable loading the rope in a properly stacked position that should look like this:

• Administrators

@Joeprunc

Dude you do not look bad at all. I know guys that run 32 off with more issues than you. I agree with what everyone above says. You have to get stacked. There are a million want to think and talk about it.

Best thing you can do is find someone that runs a lot more balls than you and go ski with them.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support and supportive criticism. @Killer, I did get a dry handle setup in my garage, my fiancee chuckled a little when she saw me in the garage after dinner. I've read, and highlighted sections on @Than's Leverage Article. It all makes sense, but I don't feel quite comfortable leaning on the ski like that on my offside....and I think it is the wake crossing that creates that fear. It was the same way with wakeboarding for me I could charge into a wake heal side as fast as I wanted, but toe side there was a mental block and I would always let up at the wake.

@Skijay, the Seth Stisher drill is exactly what I was looking for Thank You!! I remember when I first started skiing seeing a video very similar to this, but all I wanted to do was throw buckets of water at that time and discarded that drill from my memory. Now I realize buckets are not the name of the game.

@horton, thank you, I am in the mist of trying to join a local club, unfortunately they don't live as close to the course as me and only ski on Sundays. In my book the two guys I met are extremely good, they were both able to get into 35 off @ 34.2.

@kona, yep I finally found the light! Too much surf talk over on TO, those wakes cause my boat to sink.

• Baller

Hey @Joeprunc, I'm not adding anything new, but when you say:

I don't feel quite comfortable leaning on the ski like that on my offside....and I think it is the wake crossing that creates that fear.

You're right to fear the wake if your arms up high like that on the offside. Practice that Stisher drill, get your arms low/hips up/body stacked and you'll not only improve your skiing but find the fear of the wake will disappear. I think you'll see a big jump in results once you get that one thing dialed in.

• Baller
Agree with Horton -- you have a good start here. All of us have been there starting out in this crazy ball-chasing sport without much guidance. Ski with guys who are good and if you get the chance snag a set or two with a pro either in your area when they come through or at their site. One day of good coaching will provide amazing results.

You got the nack buddy! I ski on the same Radar stick but use 29.5 for the front binding distance which puts much more pressure on the front of the ski. This helps keep the ski flatter and faster in the water. Ive worked my offside hard and found a completely different cut than on the onside that works great. Dont be afraid to try something different and listen to these guys here.... the best of the best. Hey I skied on the F1X also before the Vice. I tryed the old ski last night and OMG what a difference, yuck!

@jefflyman that's pretty funny that you skied on an F1X too. Every single person that I have skied with has an F1X sitting up in their rafters. You have the front binding at 29.5?...What length ski are you on? I was looking up binding placements for the Strada and the furthest forward I found for a 65" was 28.5".

Thanks @Razorskier1 & @andjules, its nice to hear positive feed back with strong push to progress. I hope to get out and ski more on the course, especially with some of the club members. But I think the next few sessions will be in the open water working on Seth Stisher's drill. I'm wondering if my onside cut is more developed due to the fact that I constantly do Seth's drill after every six turns in the open water...