Knot in Mainline .....

Skoot1123

• Baller
Hey all - looking to fix my MasterLine rope which has a knot in it about 7 feet from the handle. Any tricks to getting this out? I have never been able to get a knot out of a ski rope, and thought you folks would have a good idea! Thanks!

• Supporting Member
You really only need the hammer and something real solid to hammer against. I did that at a tournament a while back and I was really surprised that most people had never seen that and were wondering what the F I was doing. They were even more surprised when it worked.

• Baller_
Dave, that comment surprises me, there are several knots in all the ropes I look at and certainly the handle also has one. The hammer technique would certainly impart significant stress on the strands of rope, but it seems to work and leave a fixed rope afterwards.

• Baller

General rule of thumb is that a simple knot will weaken the rope by approximately 50%. The problem is the outside of the rope is under a higher tension than the inside of the rope so it's taking all of the load. For the wakeboarders or intermediate slalom skiers, this isn't really a big concern but for those guys getting into shortline and running faster speeds, it can be pretty serious.

As for the argument of rope handles and rope section ends are knotted... The rope is doubled and spliced back into itself so 50% of double is still full strength.