Bicep tear

jefflyman

Just got the news from a MRI, partially torn bicep and some tend tears at the elbo and shoulder. Meeting with my ortho guy Thursday. Any of you guys had anything similar, how long before skiing again? So much for dailing in my new Radar Vice, just starting to get use to it. Happened getting up and the rope slipping out of my hands must of been the snap. This sport is killing me!

I do significant amounts of bicept work in the gym. It makes the muscle tissue much more durable and likely to withstand bad pulls. That being said im quite scared of what you guys go through. My bicepts do get mildly sore in some isolated areas after some less than perfect skiing.

I did the same thing about this time of year two years ago. Had the partial bicep tear, but no problems at shoulder or elbow. From taking too many hits at shorter lines. Did not require surgery. Could not lift over 2 lbs for 3 months. Then, very gradual rehab and strength training. Could not start skiing until the next spring. No long term problems.

You have two bicep tendons at the top (your shoulder). The longer one is the proximal. I completely ruptured it skiing June of is year. If you rupture the bottom one (distal) you must have surgery as there is only one. Proximal is optional but you lose 10% strength and about 20% supination (turning a screwdriver clockwise). I elected surgery four weeks ago. Recovery is going well. Surgeon estimates 6 months full strength. No skiing till then. The popular name is "Popeye" bicep as it balls up when it ruptured. You should get the surgery done within 30 days as the tendon will atrophy and disappear after a while. If you have good insurance do it. But if you decide not too, you can ski, but your muscle will look a little odd.

• Baller
@momskier, and others. The doctor wanted to do surgery because he really couldn't tell if a tendon was ripped or not, he knew the muscle was. After surgery, he found the tendons were in tact but since he was in there, he did tried his best to repair the muscle. But he would not have done surgery knowing the tendons were in tact.

• Baller

I tore mine July 24th 6 weeks ago took my first ski ride today it feels great to get back in the course just taking it easy and being very happy to be skiing again. Mine was also a partial tendon to muscle tear it looked just like Boody's picture if you could not see his face I would have thought he had my picture.