D3 skis

estrom

• Baller

Just an inquiry from a curious newb here, but how many of you use a D3 ski? The conversations here seem to center around 3 or 4 brands, but not much talk about D3's. I've personally never used one. Nate Smith does, so they must work! Just an observation/question as to why they aren't discussed more here.

• Supporting Member

I've never actually tried any D3 skis, but do love their bindings.

The skis are probably awesome, but I personally wouldn't read much into the fact that Nate does so well on one. As I like to say, Nate would beat me skiing on a 2 x 4.

• Baller
That's sort of the reasoning behind the question. I bet Nate, Andy, Thomas, Chris, all the top skiers could ski on a cedar fence plank, so I was just wondering why AM, Goode, and a couple others get more 'pub' here than D3. Maybe Horton needs to review one!

• Supporting Member

Horton has reviewed several D3 skis.

Keep in mind that "buzz" is really only going to surround NEW skis. Everyone is wondering what the AM, Nano One, S2, A3(?) are going to do, so they are talking about them.

@Chef23 Great minds think alike.

I am no Nate Smith - not even on my best day and his worst day. But I'm on my 2nd D3 (Nomad RC, Fusion) and absolutely would recommend their skis to anyone. Well made product, VERY good service, easy to ski.

• Baller
I have a 2008 D3 Nomad RCX which was the first ski I have ever tried which worked perfect for me right out of the box. The leverage bindings are the most comfortable bindings I have ever owned. They are very supportive and feel like a very good pair of high top sneakers. My ski is very user friendly. I have been told other models are the same. There are no bad skis out there. You have to find one that matches you..

• Baller

D3 RCX will go down as one of my favorite skis of all time. As much as I run a Razor at present, I jumped back to it a few sets last year and right thru 35 off...just like it was first time out of the box. Great customer service as well.

@cowtipperguy jumped on it last set out with him...he's sold. Of the skis I would like to demo for fun out there would be the Nano One and the Fusion.

• Baller
As stated above, D3's are user friendly. No surprises, just stable. I've skied on Denny Kidder designs for 16 years at least. Starting with a Kidder Hammer, then KD 7000, KD CR7, D3 X5 now D3 RCX. I've tried many other brands during that time, but keep coming back to Denny's stuff.

• Baller_
I tested a bunch of skies last summer. The one that I left on the dock and kinda ignored till it had to go back to the pro shop (demo time was up) was the D3 Zst. My goal was to find a ski that was easier on the body and associated D3 with stable but effortfull. What a huge mistake. Only got one set on it. I ran that ski straight up to my average with ease. Have total respect for their designs now.

Comment regarding inquiry surrounding D3 skis... Keep in mind that I was out of the sport for 14 years before continuing to read... Started back in 2008 on a D3 X5. Qualified for the BD Finals on that ski. Loved it and then transitioned over to the D3 X7 when it came out. Didn't like the X7 quite as much. Transitioned to the HO A2 earlier this year and ran a PB that was deep into 39. Recently; tried a Goode Nano Twist. This ski could possibly be a test ski that some would call the "Hybrid"... Or; a test leading up to the N1. But right out of the gate; tied my PB and can run my 38's back to back with ease. For what it is worth; I too love the customer service that D3 has offered, but the performance of the Goode is breathtaking...

• Baller

I was really starting to groove my Goode Fire when my binders ripped out of it during a tournament. Fortunately Don Boyle was there with a rack of Fusions to demo. I threw my binders on and hit the water and never once second guessed the Fusion. My only regret was that I didn't get a chance to ski on it a little more.

• Baller
@Than Bogan, are you using T-Factors? If so are you experiencing any cracking in the rubber on the rear boot. The part that goes over the top of your foot. Different rubber type than on front binding and no issues there. I've got a lot of surface cracks in mine an they're only 4 month old. Never see the sun unless they're on my feet, so it's not abuse or neglect.

• Baller
My front T-factor rubber cracked and split. The part that goes over the top of the foot. I contacted D3 to get a replacement piece and they sent me a new part for free even though it was past the warranty period. Took some a good hour or so to get it back together but the binding is fine now.

• Baller
Aw shucks. @cowtipper guy thanks for enabling my bad habits, helping change the oil, buying the electric winch, making sure the PP times are always hot, and all the stories about crazy chicks...you and @shane could have some good times swapping stories.

• Baller_

@gregy Pjirsa just had his T factor do the same thing. They sent him the rubber but he was not happy doing the work on it. He has had two breakdowns on the boots since he got them last fall.

@6balls turn on the recorder if we get them together.

• Baller

@MS, D3 offerred to repair them for me but I didn't want to wait. I when and bought a set of small punches to line up the holes of the different layers and it went pretty quickly after that.

The T-factors are working well for me and there comfortable but I'm thinking I'll buy another set and keep the old ones as spares so I'm not down again. When the front went out I put an old HO Animal on and I was really supprised at how much less control of the ski I had.