NANO ONE ski tests day 3 and 4 Plus settings

Horton

• Administrators

Still skiing the best of my life. To be fair this is the time of year I always peak but this ski has really impressed me.

First set this weekend I ran straight through 38. My previous comments about trouble with width were totally wrong. Sometimes the skier is the issue and not the ski.

Second set this weekend I ran 5, 5 1/2 and 5 1/2 at 38. So I did not run it but this is still better than my average ride a month ago by about a ball. Plus was as thrashed...

I spent the rest of the weekend at 36 mph and 35 mph so is hard to judge the ski. I almost ran a 35 at 36. I only tried it once. At 35 mph I crushed a ton of 35s but it was Perfect Pass so not sure that was harder than 34 mph with ZO. More on skiing faster with this ski after next weekend.

I really have no idea what the technical review is going to say. I guess I need to buckle down and start to figure that out. I have some ideas about how to describe the ski but am unsure how correct they really are.

I know a lot of skiers are tweaking away. I have not touched my settings since I got the ski and do not see any need.

Bindings 28 3/4

Depth 2.4885

Length 6.8585 TIPS

DFT .709 Slot or .7130 Head

Wing 9 degrees

• Baller
@Horton I agree it is hard this time of year. I am skiiing significantly better and more consistently just because of time of year. On Saturday I went out and ran 5 at 38 off three times in a row, then 4.5. Next set ran 38. Same ski, same skier, just hitting my stride for the season. My son just switched to Razor and he has run 5 32 off passes after having never run one lifetime at full speed 36mph. Again, some of it ski for sure, as he was on an Elite, but some is probably just hitting peak season. Still very interested in the observations about the N1, and more interested if you could compare and contrast a bit with other skis.

• Supporting Member

Curious if you have anything to say about -39 on this ski, other than what I have figured out so far: "That is damn short."

I'm no where near to challenging -39, but I'd love to make my way to 3 at some point. One thing this ski does is turn cleanly and track well even when running extremely narrow. That seems like perhaps it could be a huge deal at -39, since running narrow is almost a given.

My sample size is still tiny -- I doubt I've tried -39 ten times in my life. It feels like I'm getting much better 1 balls on this ski, but I still can't do anything with them.

• Administrators
@Than Bogan with some tries I am sure I can get to 3 @ 39 but that is not where I am going to learn anything. The 35s are stupid easy and 38s are becoming more common. As the rope gets shorter my mistakes come out more, I do not think I learn much about a ski at a pass I can not run. (yet :)

• Supporting Member
@AB Having never skied a Strada or HO, I have no clue why I'm trying to answer your question. But from a conversation I had with Rossi last year, it seemed a big reason he broke away from Goode was that he wanted more tracking and stability. My very first set on the Nano One, that conversation came back to me, and I wondered if, in some ways, this ski merges those parallel development paths.

• Supporting Member

@Horton. Yeah, while tuning the ski, a pass I (and you -- for now) have no chance at isn't very informative. But now that I think I have the ski where I want, or at least darn close, I'm awfully curious if I'm going to be able to figure out how to get anywhere at -39.

Suppose I should run -38 more than once before I start drooling about -39, but this ski is making me dream big.

• Administrators
First of all I think it is a mistake to generalize about skis by brand. Yes the N1 numbers are different than a lot of settings from other Goodes but this is a different ski. It is fresh new design.

• Baller
@than, start spankin some 38's. Unless someone is running a pile of 35's, you know how likely they are to get much done at 38. Gotta be even worse from 38 to 39.5. I'm in your corner, but have also been to where I think I have 38 figured only to lose it again and wonder what's going on. I hope both you and Horton are onto something and that you have 38's falling.

• Supporting Member

@6balls. Thanks! You too!

Yeah, I have no doubt that it will come and go. Some days it's just not there. But usually I recover quickly after a set or two of being awful, I think in part because I assume it is just random fluctuation and don't necessarily try to "fix" anything.

But the thing that has me so excited about this ski is that I half think Sunday WAS one of those days where I wasn't all there, and I still ran it. The crazy thing with this ski is I can keep going at -38 after mistakes. That's why I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to starting raining them down. I don't really expect my success percentage to get above about 10% (at least until I get fundamentally better), but if I did get to even 10% that would be roughly a 20x improvement compared to my past.

And that would also be over one per week, which would give me a chance to get thoroughly frustrated by the clear impossibility of Neutral!! :-)

It's just a feeling, not a guarantee. If it doesn't happen, I'll just keep plugging away!

Either way, it's really fun to feel like I at least have a chance every time I go through the gate at -38.

• Baller
With regard to Goode fin numbers, there's a picture on their website that shows getting the length measurement with jaws, not tips, which obviously is way different. Horton are you using Goode's numbers for a "tips" measurement? Also, how close was the ski to these numbers when you got it? Mine ships today supposedly... Coming off a 9960 mid.