New Baller New Course Skier New Outlook on Life

Brady

• Baller

Hi all, brand new to this site and brand new to short-line skiing. Grew up skiing all the time and then life set in. I am now 44 years old and I just dropped 70 pounds (Apparently eating for the last 20 years like I did when I played college football has a bad effect on ones physique) and have caught this incurable bug for skiing again.

I have looked for a local chapter of SSA (Slalom Skiing Anonymous) but I have had no luck, so I am continuing to give in to the dark side. In the last year I have Skied 3 to 4 times per week 10 months out of the year...Utah. (I am getting sick and tired of telling people I am going skiing and have them ask me what mountain I am going to). I am in the process of selling my 26 foot doral go-fast boat with a 496 with a blower. I bought a 2004 PS 197 that I picked up in Florida this year...after testing is out in crocodile infested waters. I bought a slalom course that i have assembled and disassembled numerous times. I am on the wait list for the local ski club, and I am killing myself off in the gym to lose that final 30 pounds so I can get to 230.

I am so grateful to have found a site with other addicts like me. You have given me great ammo to share with my wife....she thinks I am going thru a mid-life crisis...if only she knew it was so much more than that.

I am still waiting to make my first legitimate pass thru the Holy Grail, but I can promise you one thing, I am here to stay. I am looking forward to getting to know you guys and the first lesson I have learned is this: if I get a girl drunk on wine and have her try to get out of my boat, I will put a damn ladder out for her so she doesn't bounce!! Doug

welcome- there are skiers of all ability levels on this forum who share an equal obsession. my wife stopped complaining about my skiing once she saw how much my fitness level has improved since I got more serious about slalom and she started to see benefits in other areas of our married life

• Baller
My wife is the best. She will pull me skiing literally any time of day whenever I can squeeze in a set. She will set aside what she's doing at the drop of a hat. I think she has come to realize that skiing is sanity for me. Without it, I become much less fun to be around (even for me!). I need a ski partner so infrequently that my friends all quit asking.

• Baller
I recently got back into skiing after about 15+ years at 45. I had always missed it, but same thing life got busy, next thing you know 20 years went by. I needed an excuse to get in shape plus figured my window to learn the shorter line lengths was closing quickly.

• Baller

As you've discovered It's not a mid-life crisis. It's a rebirth. Go to a tournament and you'll see 60-year-olds that look better than most 30-year-olds.

I envy anyone who can join the Utah Lake Ski Club. I would pay the extra dough and skip the waiting list.

• Baller
@jipster43. Oh, Scot has been phenomenal for me. I am proud to report that he has pulled 38 off behind my little PS. More than that, you will not meet a nicer more humble guy than Scot. He has in essence taken me under his wing--and even after seeing me ski!! I assure you, I am working every angle possible to get in early. :) I have transformed my garage into a new work out facility. In fact, I should post some pics of my new temple. I am worshipping daily!!

• Baller
@douglaslbrady - welcome to the forum! Great to see people are seeing the benefits if skiing! It is an addiction! I wouldn't have it any other way! As far as exercise, have you considered P90X? A number if guys on this forum do that. Has been great for me and my wife!

• Baller
I went thru a set of that. I am doing cross fit training now and trying to watch what i eat. I am steadily dropping so I am not too worried about getting to where I need to be. Sad thing is that Scot Chipman is the same age as me and to look at him you would think you were looking at a 22 year old kid on steroids!!! If we were both bald, he could be my mini me! (And yes, I would pay a beelion dollars to ski like Scot) :)