X7 a "CRAPPY" ski?

DanE

• Baller

Why is it there never were that much buzz over the D3 X7?

Certain skis get so much attention and reviews but I have yet to see much info abut the X7.

Ever since Nate Smith made his breakthrough and got on the X7 hes been toying with the rest of the field,if I recall correctly only a couple of losses the last 2 seasons and when he lose it´s not by a big margin.

One would think slalom skiers looking for the next ski should rave about this ski like sharks chasing a blood scent.

I sense as I´m typing this someone´s going to throw the "it´s not the arrow, it´s the indian" card at me, but if you hand the indian a crooked arrow will he still shoot straight?

Just a thought.

• Baller
The Fusion is the big D3 ski. And in Nate Smith's case it is the Indian. Look at Andy Mapple he skied on an O'Brien that was not as well regarded as other skis of its era. And I guess you would have to call Andy's ski an "O'Brien" in name only . As far as the X7 I haven't heard and anything bad about it.

• Baller
D3 doesn't market as much as some of the other big names. That's probably got something to do with it. Radar, Goode, HO are always bringing new models out, helps keep the buzz up on the forums. I'm pretty sure Nate is on a stock X7.

• Baller
The X7 is the real deal. It is a great ski that turns as good as any and builds angle cross course. The ski does ride a little deeper which gives you that great feeling of stability and being "glued" to the water. I think it is a very forgiving ski. The one big thing that skiers knock D3 about, in general, is the "feeling" or "perception" of the skis being slow and having to put a little more effort into getting cross course. Obviously, it is not that slow as there are a good handful of high end skiers that are making them work into short line.

• Baller

I've always been surprised at the relative lack of attention paid to D3, although the Fusion got a little more buzz. I skied KD and then D3 from '91 to 2010 and was very happy with quality, performance, and customer service.

D3 does seem to have a lot of traction in the junior market, both boys and girls.

• Baller
@DanE Nate's X7 is right off the shelf. He tested two X7s, a 67" and a 68" then settled on the 67". He also tested a few other high-end skis, and chose the D3. X7 is clearly an excellent ski as Nate is a feel skier and a very smart experienced guy. He certainly didn't choose it cause it's "crappy." He's now considering a new one because he's been skiing on the same stock ski for two years and it's getting a little dog-eared, not because he thinks there is anything wrong with it.

I'm a old guy that skis 15 to 22 off. My 2012 average was 64.33. Doug Moss set me up with a X7 a couple of months ago. After 4 tournaments, my 2013 average is 75.33. I'm definitely skiing better on my X7. I did go a size longer than recommended and I'm glad I did.

Was on a 65" RC.

• Baller

In our area of the country the perception is that D3 skis are "slow". The chatter is that the X7 sits deeper, etc than the Fusion so the thought is "even slower". I would like to have taken a set on one, but there were not any demo X7s floating around.

They need to send one to skidawg for a try. I'd be interested to hear his feedback.

• Baller
I tried a 67" Fusion at the tail end of the summer a fellow skier in my area had one for sale. I loved the way it turned and held angle through the wakes but at 220lbs. I was too heavy for the ski. @skidawg I think you were riding a D3 Fusion. Did you ever try the X7 and if so what influenced your decision to go with the Fusion?

• Baller
If it's not broken don't fix it! A well engineered and cared for ski will last more than one year. I realize a lot of the pros are doing R&D but it has been interesting to see the ups and downs of their ski changes and overall performance. "Its the best ski ever"! Yah, right?

• Baller
There are subtle nuances to every ski, even the ones which come out of the same mold. How many Goodes does Chad Scott go through trying to find "the one"? I got news for you........ a BUNCH! Same with Badal. You think he hasn't gone through literally hundreds of skis? You can't infer anything by the fact that Nate is still on an older X7.

• Baller

Is there supposed to be a difference between 2011 X7 and the 2012?

Regarding "fast " and "slow " skis I have never seen anybody ski with the speed Nate has.

Oh ,and he did alright at Soaked also where they supposedly slowed the speed down quite a bit.

Maybe @Horton can chime in what the actual Boat speed was at Soaked finals.

• Baller

I rode a bunch of skis and keep coming back to the D3 X7. It is slower than other skis but I like it that way. It does ride deep in the water and rips turns also the way I like it. If you haven't tried one you should. Its definitely on the short list of good skis out there, and definitely not "crappy".

• Baller

I plan to try it out next spring, going to USA for a vacation trip starting in Atlanta and ending in Florida looking to squeeze in some ski sets on the way.

Oh, the "crappy " thing is just an attention grabber but I 'm sure everyone knows that:-)

• Baller
I asked Nate why he isn't skiing on the new X7 and @thager got it right. He never got around to trying the new one. His answer was, "The one I have works great, so why change." He is ultra low-key when it comes to the technical side of the sport.

• Administrators

First of all lets clear clear up a few things in this thread that may have already given the team at D3 an aneurysm.

@SkiDawg I know you are on the team but I do not think D3 means to have a 34 and a 36 ski. Perhaps there are more 34 guys who like the Fusion because it is faster but these are two distinct skis.

@gregy D3 is constantly doing R&D or at least that is what the west coast rumor mill says. The Fusion is only two years old and really is as good as any ski on the market. I think if you really look at successful ski releases, D3 upgrades at about the same rate as everyone else.

@jipster43 Yes the X7 and the Fusion are the two top end skis. They are different but equal.

@6balls Both of my nieces are on D3. Ellie is ranked 10th in the nation and Katie was 23 last year in G2. The little D3 slalom skis are as good as any small ski on the market.

@skibug what you said. D3 has been branded as the "Slow" ski for years. The old X5 is one of the all time classic ski designs. A lot of skiers just LOVE that ski because it is easy to ski on and is predictable. More to the point a lot of skiers ran a lot of balls on that ski. The X7 is an evolution of that ski. It is not "Fast" by most skiers opinion but it is the ski of choice for Nate and Larson and a lot of kick ass skiers. (I forget who on D3 rides what and am not going to look it up)

@AB my guess is he love the one he has.

Let me finish by recounting what an employee from another ski company (Not D3) told me. This ski company employee and I were talking about D3 and he said that one of his biggest retailers told him …. When customer demos a D3 they almost always buy it.

That says a lot

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I am currently looking for a new ski. I still ski at 30-32 mph at 15 off but I am planning on going to a ski school and getting a lot better for next summer. Hopefully I will be skiing at 34 or 36 pretty soon and advancing from there. I am coming off my dad's system 8. I am looking for a forgiving ski that will take me far without having to switch skis. I am not really worried about that with the x7 seeing what nate can do with it but would the x7 be considered a forgiving ski? I know some places where I can get one for pretty cheap so would the x7 be a ski to consider? Would I be better off on a ski like the senate or senate c? Also I weigh 185 so would a 68 be a good size?

Thanks

• Baller

My daughter had her best year on the X7 last year. Moved to the Fusion this year and will go back to X7 next year. If you are technical and smooth, the X7 works and is more forgiving. It works for Nate because he skis "light". If you're 210 lbs on a 67" ski at 34mph it will feel slow. But, if you're 150 on a 67" ski at 36mph, the fact that it sits deeper in the turns is a benefit.

I'll have a 67" X7 for skidawg to ride in the spring along with the revised Fusion (or whatever they will call it) for comparison.

• Baller
Thanks for tryin to correct me Horton, but the majority of skiers on an x7 go 36, except bishop (he slayes it on an x7@34) most 34 guys prefer the fusion! D3 doesn't market it that way but it doesn't mean it isn't so; I'm looking forward to riding both in the spring!

• Baller
Neither ski is specified as a 34 or 36 mph ski. The unique characteristics of each ski seem to have shown favoritism towards certain speeds. Bc the Fusion is "faster" it seems to be preferred by the 34 mph guys. Bc the X7 is "slower" and rides deeper, it seems to be preferred by 36 mph guys. Of course there are plenty of exceptions to that generalization. Corey Humburg (36mph) tried both and preferred the fusion.

• Baller

D3 wants skiers to have a choice between 2 skis that both rip but have different appeal. There is no rule as to which is for you, try them both. The talk above is on point, and the website descriptions always seemed spot on to me.

We can speculate about Nate's preferences, talk about other peoples perceptions, and debate for ever. There is nothing like a demo ride to find out what YOU feel and what you like. When the Nano Mid came out and guys were killing it I tried one. I see why it works great for many skiers, but its not for me. The point is there were pages and pages of discussion on BOS and as helpful as that is I still had to feel it for myself - now I know.

• Baller

Here's an interesting tidbit from D3's Paul Crawford regarding the choice between the Fusion and the X7. The Fusion rides higher in the water so is faster and less work than the X7 which rides deeper and is more stable. He told me that when people demo both skis, usually, those who prefer quicker skis chose the Fusion and those who prefer a more stable ski choose the X7. But, he is constantly amazed at how often skiers choose the exact opposite to what he'd expect. Based on this, he HIGHLY recommends demoing both models before deciding.

They are both top end skis, built out of the same materials with the same layup and flex tolerances. The ONLY difference, other than the graphics, between the two skis is the X7 has bigger bevels than the Fusion, so it rides deeper than the Fusion.

Hi there, I'm probably a crappy skier, but am and have been in love with my X7 ever since the first time I set foot on it. It is indeed an incredibly reliable and stable ski, as well as fast.

I bought it onine from Paul C and recieved it and tried it last year during a one week break in Cancun in october-november (right about this time last year actually). Terrible skiing conditions for 8 consecutive days, windy, choppy water, most skiers were staying on the dock, but hey, you've got a new stick you wanna ride it right? So I did and almost immediately rode it to my then PB (22off@34mph) and knocked a few buoys at 28off.

Everyone was complaining about the conditions and indeed they were absolutely terrible, but the ski was so stable, so quick, I couldn't care less.

I perfectly understand what people calling it a "slow ski" mean. It is very very stable so the offside to this is that it IS glued to the water like on said earlier. So if your style is agressive and heavy on the line and everything, you will definitely feel like you're spending a lot of energy on your pulls.

Now just wait until you come in yelling on a turn, having "forgotten" to brake, and simply feel the ski carve a big wall like you had hit the brakes in perfect timing, and send you back flying in the opposite direction.

On the other hand, like many people have said, if your style is more kicked back, easy on the line and letting things work for you (the boat, the line, the ski), it gives you a feeling that you're simply un-destructible, and it is easy to imagine how people skiing on X7-kind-of-skis can be very very consistent.

This summer I haven't really skied that much (15-20 sets max) and consistently took it to my new PB, 28off@34mph but most impressive (for me) I only crashed once in that process.

So I know people are gonna say "if you're not crashing you're not trying" blablabla, but I skied so little this summer I was never really skiing multiple sets in one week. I kinda skied one or two sets every 10 days for 10 weeks and called it a season. So I was kind of eternally "riding for the first time in a long time", and wasn't going for PB's, and this is were this ski's stability is amazing. even if you're out of shape and under-trained, you're still consistent.

• Baller
There is no such thing as a bad ski. You have to try out the ski and see if it works for you. I tried and HO Syndicate A1, and I could not do anything with it. It would slide out from under me at the finish of the turn. I did like the speed it had across the wakes, but I could not always keep control of the ski. My D3 Nomad RCX worked perfectly right out of the box. I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you have to match the ski to the skier.

• Baller

Of course I never thought the ski is bad, just surprised that there seem to be less curiosity surrounding it (at least at this forum) then some of the other high end skis.

Funny since it´s probably the one ski who has seen 43 off in tournament conditions the most over any other ski.

Now, since I live in Sweden demos aren´t just lying around everywhere, season´s short and demo in the spring (before the upcoming season) is pretty much pointless in 40 deg water.

I will shoot for a demo when I go to Florida on vacation next spring.

Wonder what driver was watching in his mirror....

Anyway never skied X7 but ski on the X3 and it's magic. I'm purely recreational skier, half-course at best (don't have access to one anyway) and came to this straight from borrowed Connelly pilots etc. Have no idea what it's capable of but user friendly in the extreme and as I've (kind off) improved get the impression would take me round a course at a fair lick. Perfect starter ski if you want the kudos of carbon not fibreglass. My wife is pretty much a beginner and it's sometimes a little twitchy/difficult to get up on for her but once your past that level it's a gem!