Skiing in Maui?

swardco

• Baller
I'm sorry, but you're going to Maui. Do you have to water ski? Don't you want to do stuff in Maui that you can't do at home like surf, body surf, snorkle, dive, fish, etc? Are you also going to eat at McDonalds, Burger King, and Pizza Hut while there?

@jimbrake The great thing is that I am on vacation, I don't "have" to do anything. The reality is that we are very unlikely to ski, just a thought. Just for the record, I have eaten at McDonalds in Kihei and it is a very funny memory, sort of an inside, family joke.

• Baller
I'm going to Kona in March. I'm going to stuff myself with every variety of seafood that I don't get at home and spend every waking hour possible in the water. I also won't wear shoes. Cracks me up when I go somewhere tropical and dudes are wearing jeans, white athletic socks, and tennis shoes - at the beach.

• Baller

In Maui currently on vacation. I looked into it in the past, and there was a guy doing wakeboard charters on the ocean, (wake maui if I recall. I think his name is Ryan?), but no skiing.

You may be able to get a pull in Honolulu in the lagoon, or in Kauai on the wailua river if you are going to be on any of the other islands.

Surfing or kiteboard lessons are my recommendations! I took some kite lessons and had a blast (kite beach just behind the airport). For beginner surf lessons, try the west side (kehei or Lahina), or for more advanced surf hit the north shore.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aloha!

• Baller

In Maui currently on vacation. I looked into it in the past, and there was a guy doing wakeboard charters on the ocean, (wake maui if I recall. I think his name is Ryan?), but no skiing.

You may be able to get a pull in Honolulu in the lagoon, or in Kauai on the wailua river if you are going to be on any of the other islands.

Surfing or kiteboard lessons are my recommendations! I took some kite lessons and had a blast (kite beach just behind the airport). For beginner surf lessons, try the west side (kehei or Lahina), or for more advanced surf hit the north shore.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aloha!

• Baller

Shameless plug for anyone going to Kona - walk to Kona Brewing, snorkel where the glass bottom boats go, kick back at the pool, etc:

http://konahawaiirentals.com/site/Overview/PropertyID__46259/15895/default.aspx

Haven't ever skied on the Big Island. But tried to get a lease at the Hawaiian Energy Lab for a ski lake. Too much red tape.

Oahu has great skiing. Kehei lagoon (Sand Island) has an active club right next to the airport. Hawaii Kai is a residential waterfront development with a course - ski it early as the wind comes up.

Kauai has the river and a commercial operation there (still I think but it's been a while).

Any (rich?!) partners for digging a lake on the Big Island?

Eric

• Baller

Been to Maui twice and both times I've seen a SN 2001 (model) out on the ocean right in front of the Puamana community (just south of Lahaina) pulling slalom free-skiing. So, it definitely does happen there but who knows how/who/whatever.

Be sure to visit Maui Brewing Co, right off the main highway north of Lahaina. Top notch brewers and a nice little brew pub- Their pineapple-infused Mana Wheat is a fantastic brew.

Definitely do the road to Hana (all the way around if you want some real white-knuckle driving) and see the sunrise on Haleakala.

I lived on Oahu for 27 years. I was a member of Oahu Water Ski Club and I flew for Hawaiian Airlines. Oahu and Kauai have the only venues for water skiing and Kauai is more of a novelty. No real slalom course. The ski club on Oahu is in Honolulu Harbor adjacent to Honolulu Airport. It's a public site with a great bunch of dedicated skiers. We tried to develop a dedicated man-made lake on the North Shore of Oahu but beyond the cost of land and exorbitant construction costs, the antiquated and vision impaired zoning and political climate made it impossible. I finally threw in the towel and moved onto a beautiful ski lake in North Mobile County, Alabama. Roll Tide!!

• Baller

When in Rome...

I love skiing, but I'm much better on a windsurfer than I am on a slalom ski. I've been wave sailing nearly every year for over 20 years on Maui, and I know the place well. I've mountain biked, scuba, surfed, hiked, and road biked. I love the big water, but I've never been sitting around going, wow what this place needs is a slalom course! Just simply the wrong place to ski. I won't bother with kites myself, but for sure, if you've got any wake board experience, take a kite board lesson.

• Baller

@wilecoyote do you know Steve Turnbull? He is an artist with a gallery on Maui - I'm not sure where. I know he used to be a big windsurfer, but I've never seen him do it. He was one of the best snow skiers in the world back in the 80's, but he's an even better human.

I'm with @scotchipman there is no environment that discourages my obsession.

• Baller

This is a very new obsession for me, I've been a cottage skiier my whole life, but I only got into the course in late August of this year. I've always loved to ski, but not the way I do now. I live 10 minutes from the McClintocks ski school, and I decided to take some lessons on a whim, big mistake, now I am obsessed. I bought a boat to practice behind at the cottage, (old Supra) and I'm pining to get back on the water in the spring. So to be fair I've never been on Maui with a proper obsession.

@Jipster, the name is very familiar (that may be because I've been in his gallery or because it's also the name of the author of a book on Samurai history I have), but I don't know him, . I'm familiar with most of the names who are regulars on the North Shore, although I don't know any of them personally, I don't think he is any longer among them.

Back to the skiing bit, Maui is a magical place for me, but the ocean for me is all about surf, calm days are pretty much unheard of, (waves in the winter, wind in the summer) and there's no inland water, (well none that you would be allowed to put a boat in anyway) so a slalom course would be out of place there IMHO. There might be someone out there who would be willing to take you tow in surfing on a small day, dunno, but it has occurred to me, and would be for a skiier the quickest way to get into surfing.

• Baller

I spent ten years in Hawaii. 1st three in Hawaii Kai, with a Slalom Course right off my dock...Moved to Kauai on the Wailua River and maintained a Slalom Course for 7 years there...Heard it didn't last very long after I left.

Spent a lot of time looking for a place to have a private lake. Big Island, Oahu, and Kauai...Found several reservoirs that would have worked, but the bureaucracy there was beyond belief...Even found an old cattle ranch with a 8 acre pond that was affordable. Just needed to modify it a little for a perfect lake..No way, the tree huggers in charge told me, "We not only control the water above the ground, but all the water under it."

Just like Rodger, who's jumpseat I sat on plenty of times commuting to work. Finally threw in the towel and left. At least now I am back to a Slalom Course, in front of the dock, here in Orlando.