Now this is why skiing can't compete vs. the other extreme sports

Rich

• Baller
@xrated, before I had kids I was a sled head and we would go up to a mountain behind Bountiful Utah to a hill call Suicide Hill. It was North facing, so there was ALWAYS an avalanche risk, but it was such an incredible climb. One that had some chutes near the top that once you committed, you had to go or risk your sled. On top of that, the top had a wind-blown cornice just waiting to come down on you! We used to sit at the bottom of the hill until one of us manned up to go first. There would sometimes be 20 to 30 sleds sitting at the bottom for an hour or so. You have never looked so much to the side of you for an escape as you did on that damn mountain.

• Baller

@SkiJay. exactly!!! That is why i got rid of the sleds when I had my first baby. Even if you are doing everything right, you can still get caught. Back when I was sledding, you had to spend serious money to get a track to 142, and it was great, because to climb you actually had to have some serious skills--rocking that sled back and forth up the mountain. Today, it is insane. Stock sleds with 172 inch tracks. Any idiot can climb where they shouldn't be. The novices are touching the sky. Problem is they don't know what the hell they are doing. We have a dozen or so deaths a year here in Utah from Sled heads getting caught in a slide.

I will however take you up on the shine as we tweak our settings on our skis!! :)

• Baller
That sled climbing fail video is f'ing hilarious. I wish I knew how to edit in captions. Looks like it would've been a lot more fun to ski that couloir than to slide on your a$$ and head down it. Those guys should carry an ice ax to self arrest. Not sure why he or the other dude were trying to grab the tumbling sled either. It was already trashed. I laughed when he started to grunt/scream at the end. I was waiting for the massive "f---!!!" at the end.

• Baller

@jimbrake. Here are your captions.

:04 Oh, Yeah, I am a bad ass with a bad machine. watch me now guys

:10 I hope my go pro stay on for this climb

:18 Am I sure I want to do this?

:24 Please engine go, there is no where to turn around

:35 Almost to the top. My friends are going to think I am so cool

:45 Shit, I hit that rut

:47 No worries, I got this....look at all those people on top looking at me!

:49 Oh Shit!!!

:55-1:23 OH SHIT!!! (say this aloud every second til 1:23)

1:26 I am alive!!!! Where the hell is my sled?

1:30 Is that it? Naah, it's only my hood

1:53 Good Lord, here she comes! Maybe if I can stop it, it won't be totaled

2:04 That was dumb

2:19 Ouch

2:36 My wife is going to freakin kill me!!

2:52 Why the hell do I sled? I should be water skiing...

3:02 I need to quit smoking man.

3:40 That sucked man.

• Baller

@Brady you might want to check your dozens....http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche-stats

I can't find the site but I do believe last year sledders were not leading in avy statistics.

Not calling you out or anything, just don't want people making assumptions about sledders based off your post.

• Baller
A part of me wants to delete this thread forever you guys just "proved" in some round about twisted way why our sport should never be associated with the likes of the XGames. While you can't fix stupidity, these sports are good population control!

• Baller

@xrated. I appreciate the stats, and by all means call me out. You left off one important fact however: Many Utahns die in Montana and Idaho. I also was just guessing but it is definitely more than 4 per year.

@MattP. That is why you should leave it! Darwin helps keep us skiing and others not

• Baller

@Brady, found stats in the US for 201-2012 34 total deaths, 20 skiers and boarders, 9 sledders. While it is true sledders used to be the major share due to good education and proactive thinking in the sled community we are become safer and safer. In fact going back to 2009-2010 it looks like the majority were not sleds. That I counted from avalanche.org

No doubt Avy bags are playing a role as well.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_us.php

• Baller

I started this thread, and I love water sking. I love to watch water sking, and love doing it!

My 3 kids all were pretty good, however as they became high school age friends and other sports became more important. My son is a great athlete and had over 5000 yards rushing as a Highschool RB and that took up his time as it was a year round schedule, played in JC and now does MMA. He got more kudos playing other sports, and none of his friends understood watersking. Here is a video of his last fight, more spectors, more intensity, maybe we need the Bud girls & beer at out local tournaments?!?!