Wileys Vs. Stradas

doonez

• Administrators

@tjm I could be wrong. (it happens)

Do you mean that the holes line up or that you were able to get the forward to backward front binding correct?

• Baller
@Horton, I was able to put the front binding on the ski at the recommended measurement, without drilling the plate, ie: using the holes provided. I do not recall which holes I had them in, but the ones I did gave me the right measure. It was a 66inch first generation A1.

• Baller
I was injured twice in 3 years using Wileys (torn calf muscle and broken toe). I switched to Radar RS1 as soon as they were available and have been on them (moved to Strada in 2011, 2013 version now) since with no injuries. For Wileys to be effective for me, I had to wear them pretty tight which is probably why I got hurt. The Stradas work well with no need to over tighten.

• Administrators
Some one off line is telling me that the Wiley plate has changed and the bindings do move far enough back. If someone can confirm I will be happy to be proven wrong.

• Administrators

@tfriess

Not a GoPro - screw GoPro.

new Sony Action Cam. I have to learn how to use it somehow. Seems like a bad idea to learn how it works at the lake. You see at the end of the video I turn off the video with my cell phone? Cool stuff.

Besides it is a really easy way to make a fast video. If you need to crank out some content why not.

• Baller
@horton I had to drill and file the front binding to make it fit my current ski, which I bought from you a while back. However, when it was time to replace the binding, Wiley's sent me one that was set differently on the plate. If you look at the horse shoe, there is another hole peeking out from underneath. My replacement binding was set in those holes, which put the entire binding further back on the plate. The rear portion of the horseshoe was shaved down to line up with the plate, and it was also shaved at center and front. This set up allows the plate to be set at spec, with the ability to adjust front or back. A member of our ski club purchased a ski from the same manufacturer, and Wiley sent him bindings that fit to spec. I looked at it just to see the solution, and it was a little different from mine, but it measured to spec. I do not know if the stock plate is different, but it has been my experience that Wiley's worked with me, and at least one other person, to make the binding work on that brand ski.

• Baller

@tfriess

It might be ok or even better if it was a good thick shag... I would put a stack of magazines or something infront of the fin that will, not mark up the ski and let it flex a bit.

I am a bit OCD and protective of my equipment. I am either on skis I buy personally and for a broke college kid I know why I am broke its this sport, I am on loaner skis that I am testing, or I just dont feel like buying another one to replace it. I also spend a lot of time setting my fin and I don't want it to move. All my skis at the moment have an Obrien style fin clamp and its a PITA to set so I don't want to risk messing my settings up either.

Just my 2cents

• Baller

Physics would dictate that since your full weight is on the ski while you are on the water + G forces, and your full weight is on the ski when you stand on it on the fin, that it might be OK..

Only on the water the forces are spread out over the full wetted surface, and the fin doesn't take any load.

I think the ski can probably take this with out being cracked - but the fin box has 4 to 6 8-32 screws into the ski, sometimes with inserts, sometimes with stainless sheet metal screws. I don't think it is great to put force up through the skin in that manner.

Couch cushions work great, throw a few on the ground, they are dense enough to keep the fin off the ground, and they are low enough you can do this sort of thing.