How much better 95 vs 98 ?

rodltg2

• Baller
I'm starting to get ancy. It's not looking good for a new boat, so I've been looking for 1998 nautique. I cannot find one locally . I've sold my boat and I feel like if I don't get something soon the cash will slowly vanish! Anyway there are a lot of 1995 nautiques for sale. How much better is the 1998. Should I hold out or could shouldI pick up a really nice 1995? Also considering a 1994 prostar.

• Baller

97 and up is amazing. Perfect pass is easy to install and you could remove the tower and make it look nice so don't let that persuade you. Hold out for the right boat and you'll be happy you did.

I know a lot of skiers don't like the towers. I personally would be happy just skiing but my friends want to wakeboard and they like using a tower. Would you rather ski 3-4 times a week and let wakeboarders go and pull you or would you rather ski 0-2 times a week because you can't find enough skiers to go with you? To each their own but I bought a tower for my boat to make my friends happy and ensure they continue going out with me...

• Baller

I have an immaculate 95 with SG and the small engine and have a tremendous time with it. I believe the hull is slightly wider on the 97+ models and that's a big plus moving around the boat with 3 skiers and all their stuff out at the course. Mine also doesn't have the rear storage with the hinged seat covers, another big plus.

I will say though I love my boat! Got her in pristine condition, drove 13 hours to Ohio to pick her up. I ski on many models of Nautique at our lake including a 98, 2004, and a 2011 200, and next to the 200, I like my boat best! Small, soft wake, great tracking and not that hard to install pp SG. The model i hav has a carb engine with 260 hp. If I had my choice on this same hull I would have gone for the larger engine with fuel injection.

Last thought is one you're already on is that you can't go wrong with a Nautique!

Best of luck in your search.

• Baller
Wow they are that cheap now? Yikes. Tell me about what are the biggest reasons to avoid and go to 2002? Not challenging you just ask for info as maybe an upgrade is in my future. (Just say it quietly as not to let my 95 hear you) 14k, that's what I paid for my pristine 95 8 yrs ago.

• Baller_

The 90-96 (Slant back) is a very ski-able boat. Composite stringers in 93, they ride a little old school and bow high. wakes are very nice for trick skiing. they track well like a Nautique should. I think the draw back on this particular model is the drop off the wake at short line 35-38 off can be a little rough. They have the same tracking fins and rudder as the 98 and even the GT-40 was available.

97-2002 hull (Bubble back) were great slalom and jump boats. these were the demise for most tricker's who like the older nautique trick wakes as the wake really went flat and rounded. Tracking was even more improved however the 35-38 off drop off was still their. 22 off bumps were much improved at 32-36mph. Up until the 200 this was my favorite slalom boat. Also one of the best tooled hull's Correct Craft ever produced until they went over to C&C tooling. consistency was very good with this boat. I had a 98 with the 502 Python and really liked that boat!

As I was involved with the building and advancement of both hulls, if the price is right on the slant back and it is in real good condition you cant go wrong however the bubble back hull will be a better boat bang for the buck, again unless of course if you like to trick. I had a 91 in the stable last year with a APEX 5.7 and stargazer, it skied very well!