Chris Parrish on his new Mapple 6.0

Horton

• Baller

You pretty much can.. I know these guys love this sport but living in hotels and flying all over the world takes it toll, they need rest so they can perform at their best. The ski season this year starts in March and runs until December thats 9 months. That is a long time to try and say healthy and on top of your game. Not to mention all the backyard events they are skiing to chase down world records in between these pro stops.

I'm sure I missed one or two..

Aus Open 3/2

Moomba Masters 3/8

World cup 5/3

Masters5/25

ATL 5/27

Malibu Open 6/21

World Cup 7/19

World Games 7/26

Nationals 8/13

Calgary 9/9

Diablo 9/13

Soaked

Worlds 11/25

CP and Andy is one Sick combination. Together, I bet they could make any Ski look good... What were the odds of the colossal event of the two of them AND the dev. of an Awesome Ski?!?! (umm, maybe 1:1? 3:2? ) H.O. may be the only other Co. that is Really serious about tomorrow and will give them a run for their $$$.

I'd take AM and their personal hands on approach anyday!

• Baller
Any thoughts or opions on how smooth CP looked on the AM versus how smooth he looks in footage when on his Goode ski? Maybe someone can post one of several record setting or tieing vids from the Ski Ranch with CP on a Goode just for comparison.

• Baller
The toe side turn is awesome. Someone with some computer saavy, do a side by side of this video with a from the boat vdeo of CP on the goode. Side by side comparision. That is something I'd like to see. This ski looks really good. It does look like AM has come up with something special.

• Baller_

Is that video the same as the Elite, Goode and AM33 videos CP has done in the past? I think he even says that stuff on the Monza promo video.

All kidding aside, he looks good on the new AM. Let try to get an @Than type of a diary thread going from someone.

• Baller
With every new and hot ski that comes out the question for us non-38/39 off skiers is always how forgiving (read "user friendly") is the ski to a) 28 - 35 off skiers and b) 22 - 28 off skiers. In other words, sounds like it works for elite level skiers but how about us mere mortals? Looking for some input from anyone out there skiing at these levels as opposed to upper level skiers (who ski well on about anything).

• Baller

Ed

Check out the success stories button on the mappleskis.com site and we have some skiers posted with testimonies about the levels you are mentioning. Most all skis nowadays do work well through the whole range. Manufacturers have done a good job with recent designs, that what works at the top, works well lower down. Watching the best in the world put a ski through its paces is just fun to watch.

• Baller

@mapple @ed

I'm a pb, 3@13m 55kph, the Mapple worked awesome for me at 52kph, 55kph 16m, did not try any 14's as I only had 2 sets, I felt like i had been riding it for months from my second pass, it turns so hard is wickedly stable, and creates sooo much space before the bouy at all those speeds, I bought a nano 1 in October if I tried the two side by side I would have bought the Mapple, purely based on the fact I felt right at home straight away, while the Goode has taken a while to get used to. I would recommend for all to try it.

• Baller

Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply , I'll definitely have a look. From the comments I've seen re the Nano i.e., I would never consider that as a ski that might work for me due to being so touchy to fin adjustments and general setup which seems to be a common theme with elite level skis these days. A few comments I've seen about your 6.0 tends to give me the same feeling (touchy to setup but awsome once there). Would you care to make a quick comment to that issue, would be most helpful to those of us who aren't skilled fin tweakers.

Thank You, Ed

• Baller

@Mapple Like Ed Obermeier said above, It seems that carbon skis require a more finite setup (boots/fin setting). It seems that every skier who gets to ski with you comes away with a properly setup ski. I think the challenge for the rest of us is figure out how to recognize when the problem is technique vs. ski setup. This is really key... I've always felt that 90% of my problems on slalom are from the ankles up. But it is that 10% of ski setup that can make overcoming the other 90% so much easier!

Surely, you have an eye for this now. I like to make a recommendation... Video skiers who come to your site. Then after each set, ask them to sign a release to use the footage. Take each day to note the skier's setup issues, then the fixes. Produce a before video with the issues voiced over, then an after video showing the impact. Grab enough footage to cover the top issues you frequently address. That's a video that you could sell easily.

If that sounds like too much, how about a few comments here about what you most typically adjust away from "stock" settings and why.

• Baller

FYI -

http://www.mappleskis.com/products/setup.php

LOF: Length of the fin as it protrudes from the bottom of the ski

The LOF adjustment basically determines the length of the radius for the turn. The longer the fin, the the longer the radius of the turn will be. This will also put more ski in the water on the pre-turn, thus allowing a strong finish.

However, too much length can create excess drag in the pre turn. This has the effect of making it hard to be wide on the course. Also, this may cause you to lose too much speed at the buoy, creating a line that is too tight to enable full rotation off the back side.

All measurements from Mapple skis are made with tips of the calipers against the bottom of the ski.

DEPTH: Depth from the bottom of the ski to the deepest part of the fin

Depth of the fin will determine how quickly the ski will come around and under the line. Making the fin shallower (moving the fin straight up at the deepest point) will create more slide in the tail of the ski at the finish of the turn.

However, a fin that is too shallow can skip out at the finish of the turn and also have a tendency to make the ski flatten out more as the load from the boat increases toward the wakes.

DFT: Distance of the fin from the tail of the ski

DFT can have somewhat the same results of a shallower/deeper fin, but can be achieved without so much of a trade off of power and leverage behind the boat.

Moving the fin forward will allow for the tail of the ski to be a little looser at the end of the turn. One of the main adjustments that can be very effective with DFT is the further forward the fin is from the tail, the more the ski will be underneath the skier. Conversely, if it is further back the ski will be further in front of the skier. This is a very nice, easy adjustment for changing water temps.

Each type of adjustment will substantially change the performance of the ski. It is recommended that only one adjustment be made at a time to verify its results. A maximum tolerance of 0.050” should be maintained for any one adjustment at a time.

To adjust the fin, a 5/32" Allen wrench is needed to loosen/tighten the three set screws along the top side of the fin assembly. Always record your changes, no matter how minor.

-------------------------------

Andy on Fin Measurements (2009):

I think the biggest problem with any form of Video or On-Line instruction is PERCEPTION. i.e. What I percieve that he is saying or feeling or discribing. Not to mention the endless list of personal quirks and abilities. Heck, just look at ALL the DIFFERENT opinions on something as simple as "Cold Water set up"! -the perceptions and suggestions are ALL OVER THE BOARD...

To by-pass a lot of the crud, I WILL be getting over to @Mapple for some "Hands on" Personal direction.

• Baller
Think I may go down and ski with @Mapple in March with my son. I won't have been on a ski since November, but will give it my best anyway. Would like to ski with him then, test a ski, and then ski with him again in June. Let's see if the budget and the boss (wife) will allow it!

• Baller

I would like to try the AM to make my own AM / Goode comparison. But, here is a vid of CP when he was still new with riding a Goode. Compare the two videos and be curious what others think of his style on one versus the other. Of course, CP could ride a snow ski through the course..

• Baller

@ShaneH I agree with you about watching CP. I like watching him because he is LFF and uses a two handed gate. I am not 6'5" like CP but his technique is very smooth and simple which I think makes for a good role model.

I think it is interesting that one of his key thoughts is to stay aggressive through the wakes which seems to run counter to what some people have been talking about with earlier edge changes.

• Baller
@OB I agree completely with your comment about different coaches. Lately most of my improvement has happened because I try to carefully consider my mechanics and try to be aware of what my body is doing - NOT just ski. Maybe what the coach is telling you doesn't work for you - no big deal since once you figure out why it doesn't work..........maybe you've learned something that DOES work. Of course - easier said than done.

@skijones, Amen.

Show me a World Class Golfer, Tennis Star, Basketball Star, etc... And I'll show you a World Class Pupil! and Student of the Game.

It is also very interesting how Many acclomplished Athletes are very Poor Coaches. Great performing abilities and Great Coaching abilities is Not often synonymous...

• Baller

@h2odawg79 I agree

When a sport comes so naturally to an athlete they do not have to go through the same process as people who are trying to learn it. It's totally different for the two groups, the learning path are completely different. One of the reason most great athletes are crappy coaches. There are always exceptions to this.

Some of the best rowing coaches I know, were decent rowers but are exceptional coaches because they had to study the sport in order to understand it.

• Baller

@h2odawg79, @MattP, @ski6jones,

This is part of what I see as a problem with some ski schools. Just because they have a lot of young, talented skiers doesn't mean they have any good coaches on site. These skiers may perform well, but can't explain why or how that works... Further, if these talented skiers are self-serving in their affiliation with the school, their motivation to coach is missing and is visibly a chore or necessary tasks as payment for some other perk. I've never really understood that model.

Great coaches possess the knowledge of their sport. They are life-long students of the skills and are constantly seeking other ideas/methods/tools to further their skills and knowledge.

Great coaches are intrinsically fed by seeing their students succeed. They truly want to share their knowledge and skill. They are the people who when find themselves in a boat, just have to offer guidance even if not on the clock officially as a coach. If they are rated judges, they find it hard to refrain from coaching when in the boat and have to actively strain themselves.

Great coaches also know how to convey concepts via a multitude of descriptions. They understand the different types of learners and use this knowledge to reach their students.

Great coaches know how to gauge their students' rate of consumption of knowledge and govern their rate of information accordingly.

That's how I measure a coach's greatness.

• Baller

All good points on coaching. I agree with @OB in that I like to take in different thoughts and sift through those and see what works for me.

The problem with finding great ski coaches is that they don't make much so it is hard to make a living at it. As a result you wind up with younger skiers at ski schools sometimes and even though they are good skiers they aren't always good coaches.