How to best fill in scratches and gouges on my ski

PatM

• Baller
Looking to do a little off season maintenance on my 9900. I want to fill in some of the minor gouges from docks or coming down on the occasional rock under the surface at tournaments. I'm thinking JB Weld, but looking for ideas from anyone who is more experienced at this. Thanks

• Baller

Spot putty (also called glazing putty) available at auto parts stores is designed for exactly that. There are two types. One is very thin smooth Bondo which works best on bigger deeper damage. The other is air dry and good for very light damage and pinholes. I apply them with a razor blade on edge so a minimum of extra material needs to be sanded. Paint with a sandable primer and sand smooth after that.

JB weld is a great product but this is not the best application. It is too hard to sand smooth. Also I have a problem with the whole repair peeling up as I try to finish it. If I just apply JB weld and leave it at that, OK. Otherwise JB weld is more of an emergency cosmetic repair (for serious handle dings or travel rash).

Who am I kidding? Life is too short for fine sandpaper! I never use any of that real finishing stuff. Cosmetic issues do not translate to buoy count. Unless of course you get the perfect wallboard texture on the bottom of the ski...

Eric

• Baller

You'll rarely ever convince me that you can't repair a composite structure... I've personally repaired some pretty gnarly damage to boats and jetski's. However, in this case, a repair will almost certainly change the way the ski rides unless it's way up near the tip of the ski. You'll either alter it by changing the friction coefficiant on the bottom of the ski, changing its shape, or be spot increasing the stiffness.

You NEED to figure out exactly how deep these scratches really are and go from there. If they are superficial scratches, who cares. If they are actually gouges, that's a whole new ballgame.

• Baller

@jfw432 I play with the surface texture a lot. My favorite texture (freshly scratched with 20 grit) vs as smooth as I can make it (120 grit machine sanded with a gloss finish) is barely noticeable in feel but not in buoy count. Fixing a ski will just make it pretty - not change the way it rides.

@Pat_M Are you kidding? Sand, paint, sand, paint??? I repaired a Goode once - finding black primer was the hardest part. I usually quit with the primer. Unless I am adding the 20 grit scratches. But don't take cosmetic advice from me.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski Cosmetics I don't care about. If the majority thinks that it won't affect the performance than I won't do anything to it. It has had these "scratches" for over a year now and I don't find any difference in the performance. I just felt that maybe I should do something about them.