Just call me old school.....

oneski

• Baller

Ok, so to pass some time on a cold winter night I got caught up in a bit of nostalgia and started thinking about my younger skiing days. I found myself thinking about Spray magazine; Wayne Grimditch winning the Superstars and setting a world jump record of 180'; The Lapoint brothers competing; Flying Sammy Duvall; Mike Hazelwood putting up a huge wall of water; Cory Pikos and Patrice Martin doing some amazing trick runs at the Masters.

Just curious what some of you other Old School Ballers remember about the earlier days of skiing.

• Baller_
Driving to Madison Wisconsin from St Paul MN with a High-school friend. We were diving his Dads almost new Transam Firebird T-Top and all. We made good time. Watched and rooted for Deena Brush as I was riding her HO Mach One.. Seeing Andy, Bob, Carl, Mike, Brett, Sammy, Camile, Larsons, Helena, Cory, Geoff, Susi, The Nevilles, Patrice, on and on. was the best. Shoreline was full of bikinis and beer. Can't remember which beer company sponsored them back then. Maybe it was just Mastercraft. Was a wild ride to watch some wild rides. Man did they fall hard backs then.

• Baller

Loved hot summer nights...had a crush on Camille and Kim Laskoff(sp?). Loved the Mad Swede slam dunking his onside. Was usually associated with pro beach volleyball which wasn't tough to watch, either.

We hit the pro-tour stop in St. Paul when it was the Mich Dry tour where Sammy set a new record at I believe 208....I still have my competitive bib from the "challenge the pro's" event the day prior.

I was still skiing an outboard and just getting into 32 off but not a tourney guy. I'm standing next to this guy Sam Roberts (who won) and he had HIS OWN HANDLE!! I couldn't believe s'one would bring their own stinkin' handle. This pro-associated event doesn't have handles???

Figured Sam must be a ringer and he was, getting into 38 off. I used the handle in the boat :)

• Baller

@MattP, the tv program usually had other "beach" sports, like volleyball, jet ski racing, etc., along with water skiing. It was a whole theme of outdoor sports for a couple hours on ESPN.

I video taped the water skiing, so I could play them over and over trying to pickup technique keys.

The filming crew knew how to sell it, as they spent a lot of time on spectators and fans in bikinis as they did the skiers. I remember Sammy's wife getting a fair amount of air time!

Kim was a tigress on the water. Her World win hanging on to a turn that would crumple most men, was amazing..

• Baller
I remember driving over to Louisiana from Houston for the Bud Waterski Tour in the early nineties. Drinking age in Louisiana at the time was 18, and we were barely legal. MasterCraft was in their prime and the shorelines were packed with neon bikinis and hats, vendors, cameras, etc. I had gone to Bennets for a few days prior to the tour stop. Rhoni Barton was a coach there at the time and I remember becoming a fan of hers as a result. Great weekend

• Baller

Wow, hearing Wayne Grimditch brings back awesome memories of my childhood. My older brother, (10 years my senior) was the one who got me into skiing. Therefore, I listened primarily to his music. So, old school for me: A huge Wayne Grimditch poster hanging in my bedroom. My shiny EP Comp2 honeycomb sitting next to my multi-colored Connelly short line. And this music blaring far too loud in the background! Those were the days man!!!