What is this boat worth?

WBLskier

• Baller
My friend is going to be selling a 1986 Supra Comp. It has around 800 hrs I think. New upholtery two years ago and new stereo. He installed a new carb in the last year or two. It has a monster tower. What do you think it is worth? He is trying to decide what to list it at. Thanks.

• Baller_
I'm bias as I owned 1987 Celebrity Edition ts6m. They are a great boat for the time. A decade ahead of competition..sleek look, trunk, wake plate, unique hull design that was effective, great windshield, outstanding handling, better construction then most others. As far as a pure skiable boat, 28 off and beyond is money. Very short line friendly. Bump at 22. Google Waterski Mag Supra ts6m. They rated it as one of THE best used boats to buy. Down side to them, wood floor, stringers and components. That is what will make a differance in price. If the floors stringers and seat bases are solid, motor and pylon mounts as well, it could fetch $6500-7000. The Tower is a good selling point these days. Market it as a wakeboard or wake boat first and a ski machine second. If the interior is newish and in good shape, that will help but have someone (pro boat detailer) buff the outside to shine especially if it's a black hull which it looks to be. That goes a long way in resale IMHO. The lines of the Supras are lines followed by current boat builders so if it looks new most will be surprised at the yr of the boat. Most thought my 87 was 10+ yrs newer. I purchased mine in 92 used it till 2004 and put over 1000 hrs on it. Sold it for $1000 less then I paid for it. But, I made sure it looked pristine. The shape and lines of the boat separated it from all others in the price range. Good luck!!

• Baller
If it was under $5k, I'd be calling friends up to jump on it so I'd consider $6k-$7k a reasonable range to start at if it has a trailer. Like @Wish said, polish the outside of that boat up and make it shine. A faded boat looks old, beat up, and junky. It doesn't necessarily add value but it makes the boat more appealing to potential customers. Keep in mind that the bulk of your customer base for a boat like that is going to be people in their 20's and 30's who are looking to have fun on the lake with their friends instead of a family oriented boat. Therefore, if it looks nice and would impress friends without any elbow grease, you're going to be much more likely to sell it. I bought a cheap boat a couple years ago and I wouldn't let anyone see it until I had cleaned it up.

• Baller

Beautiful setting for that pic. Those Supra's have great lines. Buff the hell out of it and get the finish back...I wouldn't even look at a boat of any vintage that's being sold where the seller took some pics and it's got an obvious water stain, oxidation etc.

There are too many other screwballs (like myself) who have really kept older boats nicely and will be selling them at prices in spitting distance of an example that is not so nice when you get into that vintage.

• Baller_
@6balls. That is a very good example. Aside from the windshield and no rainbow stripe, it has the same lines (profile) that go all the way back to 1984. Now think of a current MC or Carbon Pro''s profile. Similar lines. Supra was way ahead of its time. First to use deep negative chines (tracking/spray), kevlar reinforcements, super light, as well as deep V hull to midship and then ratical transition to flat (tracking/smooth ride) Now think of MC and others in 1984. Boring looking in comparison. Just to bad Supra couldn't play nice with tow boat approval back then. And the Factory burned down. Want a good looking 3 event tug on the cheap with a trunk. Use that hull with some tweaks to get rid of bump at 22 and put a GT-40 (or similar) in it. Oh wait, that would be the Carbon Pro. Yep I am fan.