Is the Senate the ski for me?

kmenard

• Baller

Noticed a closeout on the Senate with Vector bindings (double boot for $50 more) $449 with free shipping. The Senate-C is avail for $100 more.

I have hit the course exactly once in my life (I am 39 now...oof, tough to type that out loud) Most of my skiing is now done at a local lake where I fight with wakeboarders for clean water. I noticed another lake near me has a ski club, so I might try to hit some balls this year, but again, it probably wouldn't be my primary focus. My current ski is a 90's HO VTC.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

• Baller
@kmenard given you're fighting for good water on a public lake, the standard Senate should be fine. With that said, if the extra $100 isn't an issue, you'll appreciate the Senate C once you get hooked on chasing bouys.

• Baller

I found the standard Senate provides a "damper" ride which can be nice in choppy/rough open water. The Senate C is more "responsive" and quicker cross course. They both are at home in open water or in the course, the Senate C just has a little higher potential in the course.

As for double boots or single and rtp, go with what you are comfortable skiing with now.

• Baller
@kmenard The SenateC does okay in the chop, especially since it is a 34 mph ski. The strata and the vice are both 36 mph skis and they do not do well in the chop. I think you can't go wrong by dropping the extra 100 bucks on the C. I am going back to a single rear boot. I feel being in the double boot is more restrictive and I am able to make my turn quicker if I can move my rear heel around a bit. Gives me a little bit of freedom, but my rear foot still feels very snug.

• Baller

The ski came in...it is much nicer looking than the picture. Can't wait to ski it!

One thing I noticed though is there is no instructions for setting it up or adjusting it. What is a good starting point on these? The other issue is that the fin mount is not flush in the front and has a pretty sharp edge. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8555056630_dafc9e03b4_z.jpg

Should I just tighten that down?

Like I said though...good looking ski (terrible pic) and boy is it light compared to my 20 year old HO!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8555057112_f25932be28_z.jpg

• Baller
Just checked and the fin block on my senate C is just like yours. So the replacement ski might come the same way. Maybe just file the sharp machined edge and go with it. As for sizing a ski for the wife.....best of luck.

• Baller

I am pretty sure Rossi sets the fin measurements and uses a slot caliper for the dft. At least, in his video on ski setup, he is, and the dft is what has been published for Stradas.

So, if you are using standard calipers, subtract .030 from the dft.

• Baller
I look forward to hearing how you like this ski. I rode my brother's HO VTC from 95-99 and really liked it. I then bought my own KD in 99, and like you, am realizing that I might just ski better and enjoy it more if I'm not on 15 year old equipment.

• Baller
New ski came in, sure enough the other ski was wonky. The block on this ski sits nice and flush with out the sharp edge. Very impressed with the company I bought it from...it was a no questions asked exchange. I went ahead and ordered the Lyric for my wife. More than what I wanted to spend, but man I love a company with good customer service...they seem to be getting more rare.

• Baller

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I too have been considering a Senate-C. I always hear people talking about them on BOS. I'm at the 15-off level. Slower boat speeds. I currently have a 2011 (older version) HO Triumph that I don't like very well (for whatever reason). The Triumph just feels so darn heavy and cumbersome.

What I'm wondering is how far I can take the Senate-C. I'm looking to progress in the course as quickly as my ability will allow me. I'll be skiing the course at least 3+ times a week this summer (6+ sets a week I guess).

I don't want to feel like I've outgrown the ski after one season. So, is the Senate-C a beginner, intermediate, or advanced ski? Will it out perform my 2011 Triumph?

My regular stick is a 66" Sans Rival SR2, but I friend of mine has just purchased a 2012 Radar Senate 67" (due to the current closeout pricing).

I had a set on the Senate this morning and wow I was impressed. The ski did ride higher in the water than my SR2, but it didn't lose much feel/security in the turns as a result.

It maintained speed really well, and although it isn't as fast as my SR2, generating the speed is almost effortless.

The turning was a nice surprise... I usually don't like skiing on skis larger than 66" (I'm 70kg) due to the increased turn radius and decreased response of the ski, but the edge change was smooth and the turning tight and predictable.

This ski does some things better than my old Sixam SS, so I'm amazed of the performance vs the price.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't replace my SR2 with this (for course skiing), but I'm tempted to buy one for open water skiing, to get my flow on!

@aswinter05 I've skied on a Triumph and after skiing on a Senate today, it is night and day better than the Triumph. I haven't skied on a Senate-C, but in my opinion you would be very happy even with the regular Senate.

The regular Senate seemed to generate speed well, so I'm not sure you'd need the extra carbon (in the Senate-C) as the extra speed may sacrifice some forgiveness/predictability.