Mastercraft prostar 190 vs 205

KcSwerver

• Baller

We are joining a ski club on a private lake. Here's the background, I have been skiing behind a 1976 Mastercraft skier which has NO WAKE. We also own a 1997 Prostar 205, which we have changed roles to the "family friends hangout boat" on the open water.

should we tow the prostar 205 to the club lake and use it or should we purchase a prostar 190 from the early 1990's

If we buy another boat we would be selling it in ~5 years.

What are the wake comparisons between the two,

Is going from the 1976 no wake boat back to skiing behind the prostar 205 going to completely rock my world?

What are the wakes like at longer line lengths and slower speeds (for focusing on the course, even though I normally ski 34-36 mph at 15-28 off)

We only use for slalom, mainly and I can get up on a trick and I'm planning on learning that as well.

We won't be able to ski every day, more like 2 times a week on the club lake, and I want to make the most out of my time on the course and we are wondering if the prostar 205 will hold me back like it did a few years back.

I would love any help. We need to figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Bryan Bailey

• Baller_
@kcswerver - I had a '92 MC 205 from 1995 until 2010, it was a great boat except for the side spray @ -35 and shorter, but suffered from being non-ZO and still ran great at 1450 hours, I'd keep using your '97 and save some dough for an upgrade to to a newer boat in your +\- 5 year timeframe, why would you buy an older boat?

• Baller

Wait, wait. Keep in mind the '92-95 205 that @richarddoane it talking about is quite a different hull from the '96-00 205.

The latter is one of the best crossover hulls ever made, but instead of a slalom boat w a tolerable wakeboard wake, I think of it as a great wakeboard wake with a tolerable slalom wake (the same hull as the original X-Star). @richarddoane's advice essentially still holds true, but it's a firmer wake than he's thinking of, and specifically to your question, my guess is anywhere under 32mph the wake is going to start comparing very unfavourably to a 190. I'd still stick with it, but I'm one of those guys who thinks a hard wake builds character (and a stacked position). Others on this site - it would seem - would rather not ski at all than ski behind a boat like yours (princesses!).

• Baller
Until you get into deep shortline 38 and less the 190 is a great slalom boat. The shorter line leagths wake are unbeatable, but a little wind and its like bullets in your face with the spray. The early 90's 190 is a great option for a club boat.

• Baller
Maybe I can help since I seem to be both a "princess" (2007 196 on a private ski lake) and ALSO "cheap" (1998 205 that I keep at my house on a public lake). Actually my 205 is the same boat that someone in Arkansas was trying to sell last week (Sammy Duval edition). My 205 has a perfectly fine wake at 28 off and above. At slow speeds the wake is brutal. I have a tower on the boat and my wakeboard friends are happy. Buy what you can afford and have fun.

• Baller

I have a friend with a '97 205, have skied it a fair amount so my opinion is based on first hand experience. If you're used to a really good wake like the older MC you've skied behind you're not gonna like the '97 205 wake in the slalom course on a very regular basis. Is it skiable? Yeah... Is it going to hold you back at your speed and line lengths? IMO yes it will. If memory serves that same 205 hull became the first X-Star wakeboard boat. Think that says all you need to know. You asked for opinions, that's mine.

Ed

• Baller
91 to 94 prostar has one of the best wakes I've ever skied behind. Upwind he spray is a bit if a nuisance but no more than other boats of that era. I owned 2 89 prostars which have the old hull and while good are not nearly as good as the 91+ model.

• Baller
@BraceMaker You have just entered into the land of milk and honey. Realize that once you go mid 90's 190, there is no return. It is the equivalent of being with Heidi Klum and then having to go back to Rossanne Barr.

2 thumbs up for early 90s 205. Ive owned one for 6 years now and modified this mc to find a great option. I added a 10inch hydraulic wake plate. When down, slalom skiing even at slower speeds it breaks up the wake and flattens it out. By driving the bow down and transom up it also cuts back on the chine spray. With more hull in the water it turns more predictable and tighter with little slide which we need in our river to stay out of the trees! On MC.com I did a picture documented installation. This mod is needed more on the late 80s Mc as I see those hulls run SO transom down. I think wakes have as much to do with hull attitude as they do with hull design. Yes I have experience with 100 mph outboard rockets and blue printing hulls, those were the days....

• Baller
We are currently eyeing a 1995 prostar 190 it's got a corvette lt-1 in it. Interior looks good, exterior looks good, having our technician run it hard on the water this weekend... Hopefully. It's got 660 hours. Any ideas on the '95 wake?

• Baller
My main ski buddy has a '95 - 190 with LT1 and Power Slot trans. Maybe I better call him to see if he's selling unbeknownst to me... We're south of KC in Miami County FWIW. Anyway, this is one of my all time favorite boats to ski and drive. Excellent wake, great pull, drives well too. You'll like this boat a bunch! With those hours she's gonna have lots of life left in her.

@BraceMaker, yes, I had a 93 205. Fantastic little open bow slalom boat. My father in law has a 98 205. There is a pretty marked difference between these two hulls, at least at the longer line lengths. Nothing at all wrong with the second generation 205s, but I think the first generation are much better. As for the 190, it is better still in the early to mid 90s. Again, the 205s are all fine boats. But I have had enough handle time behind both generations of them to form my preference.

My preference, by the way, is a TSC Ski Nautique. :)

• Baller

So here is the deal, upon further review of the boat, we are getting word that there are "hairline cracks on the block"

Don't know if the heads are aluminum or cast iron

What is the deal with a corvette LT-1 I get it that it is a badass motor.. But iv heard that they have some drawbacks, and would like to know if by buying this boat we are getting ourselves in a hole or not.

If the boat has been overheated with aluminum heads, they are pretty much shot, $3,000 repair.. If the block is cracked big time, at least $5000..

Can anyone say if they have had any issues with this motor? As I recall it has around 660 hours

We just don't know what to think about it, the dealer is acting a little sketchy. But they are cooperating, just feel like they aren't saying everything. Anyways we are going to take it out this weekend and run the snot out of it and see if it's making/milking oil.

Really hope to hear back

-KcSwerver and family.

• Baller
Well we haven't seen it in person, so hopefully when we see it with our technician and run it out, we can get some things sorted out. We have known the guys from the dealer for years. Maybe the boat is in fantastic condition :)

• Baller
@KcSwerver - just remember that we're just coming into the sweet season for buying a used boat. In my experience the best deals/selection pop up between now and the beginning of June (the further north you are, the later it gets its momentum).

Yes, the heads on the LT-1 are aluminum. From what I have seen, they tend to be pretty great motors. I recall reading some people having issues with the thermostats (I believe there are two). But typically, they just replaced them and went on. I also recall reading that you are not supposed to use RV antifreeze in the LT-1 because of the aluminum heads. The previous owner in this situation may have known this, been resistant to using regular ethylene glycol (automotive antifreeze) in the block, not gotten it drained properly, and ended up with a cracked block.

As for overheating, lift the flaps on the rear of the boat and shine a flashlight up the tailpipes. Look for blistering inside the hoses. If they haven't been replaced, it can be a tell tale sign of an overheat.

• Baller

Our tech looked at it last weekend. Took it on a full test on the water looked it over top cap to tracking fin, said it was in almost perfect shape. The cracks in the block, he said were down where the block opens up to drain and thinks that at one point sediment kept water from exiting, and made them. He said they are tiny to be exaggerating. We have told the dealer we will buy it. The only part is, this boat is on trade, and they can't sell it untill the owner of it gets his boat that he custom ordered. And they aren't giving us any time frame.... In all honesty this boat is worth the wait. It is two years older than our ps205 but they have the exact same color scheme.. Twins ;) I'm super excited to see it in person. Pictures are t enough for my boat hungry gaze.

Here are pictures from the dealer.50794e219a50452c8a4b446e45b64c.jpgc0ea5b8baecfae3320867bf5b403ea.jpgc0ea5b8baecfae3320867bf5b403ea.jpg9a9dd86ae79b720fdd32fd13c0b690.jpg97dbc583d65c3ca5b4a50cafa815e5.jpg