Senate-C Questions

aswinter05

• Baller

I'm going to be referring back to this thread often. Our ski club has all the calipers needed I think. If not I'll check on the digital one.

Does anyone think I bought too long of a ski? At ski school I was told longer is better for me, especially because I'm barely skiing 30mph and sometimes 29ish. I weigh 150 (148 after my morning regularity kicks in).

Also, I believe it was one of Bob LaPoint's articles/interviews that mentioned "when in doubt, always go the next size up"

• Baller

I'm going to be referring back to this thread often. Our ski club has all the calipers needed I think. If not I'll check on the digital one.

Does anyone think I bought too long of a ski? At ski school I was told longer is better for me, especially because I'm barely skiing 30mph and sometimes 29ish. I weigh 150 (148 after my morning regularity kicks in).

Also, I believe it was one of Bob LaPoint's articles/interviews that mentioned "when in doubt, always go the next size up"

• Baller
It will be fine until you start pushing shorter rope and 34 mph. You might have went shorter, as it is a ski that is slightly wider and supports slower speed. The 67" will turn great no matter if you ski before or after your morning regularity. Don't worry about it, go ski!

• Baller
It will be fine until you start pushing shorter rope and 34 mph. You might have went shorter, as it is a ski that is slightly wider and supports slower speed. The 67" will turn great no matter if you ski before or after your morning regularity. Don't worry about it, go ski!

• Baller
Realize Rossi is In another zip code compared to a beginner and the general rule is that bottom feeders do better with Bindings more forward than pros. I would have no problem telling you to start with bindings at 29.5" to 30.0"....

• Baller
Realize Rossi is In another zip code compared to a beginner and the general rule is that bottom feeders do better with Bindings more forward than pros. I would have no problem telling you to start with bindings at 29.5" to 30.0"....

• Baller
@OB , Seth will be giving lessons at our site on July 20th and 21st. The wife and I just sent our reservations/deposits in today. Not sure how many spots are left, but I could always give you the email of the guy that has made all the arrangements.

• Baller
@OB , Seth will be giving lessons at our site on July 20th and 21st. The wife and I just sent our reservations/deposits in today. Not sure how many spots are left, but I could always give you the email of the guy that has made all the arrangements.

• Baller

I am thinking about getting a 65" Senate. I think it will bog down in the turns on me at 30mph. I am 132 lb, 5' 11" and 37 years old.

What speed will the 65" Senate be good for me and not bog, 32mph?

I know I don't want a 67". I'm on a 66" ski now. This year I think I will be skiing in the course about 1/3 to of the time. I have to set up the portable course and take it down every time I want to get on the course.

• Baller

@Bill22 , I'm no expert.... but I did read this Question and Answer interview with Bob LaPoint:

"It’s all trial and error, and that’s the thing about testing. You can have ideas that look great on paper, but the bottom line is that you have to go out and ski and see what works. One misconception example is that in order to make a ski faster it needs to be stiff er. But if it’s too stiff you’ll actually lose speed. Also, back in the day, skiers used to believe that you had to have a small ski to keep it in the water, but I think I debunked that back in the ’80s when I was on a ski that was equivalent to the width and surface area of a 70-inch ski when everyone else was riding 65-inch skis. People think you have to have a small ski to get it to turn, but that’s not true anymore. If you’re debating between two ski lengths, I would always recommend going with the bigger size."

• Baller

@aswinter05 thanks for the tip.

I am not debating between two ski lengths. I am debating between a 65 now or ski on my old ski until August and get the 65 then.

I have not had any luck on the 67" skis I tried in the past. I emailed Seth this winter and he said he did not recommend a 67" for me.