Buyers advice for a ski vest on a public lake

countymountie

I need a vest that will give me more float than my Eagle. I like the Eagle (very flexable & great range of motion) on a private lake, but when I'm out on a public lake it can get a rough keeping my head above water. Some of the CGA approved vests seem a bit bulky. Anyone try the Ronix Capella?

• Baller
I've really liked my CGA O'Neill Revenge. The floatation is good and keeps my shoulders near the waters surface and once skiing I don't notice that it restricts me much. There is a little bulk on the sides so if switching between it and my non-CGA Checkmate I notice a difference but if I wear the Revenge consistently it's a non-issue.

My wife wouldn't let me wear Eagle even in private lake without someone in boat - she wouldn't have been able to get me on platform. I've talked her into letting me try Outlaw this spring looks like a lot more floatation than eagle but not as bulky as Assault vest. I don't see many Ronix vests in CA.

• Baller

I never liked the Outlaw or SWAT vests. The Ronix Capella and Radar X vest are the same thing with different exteriors targetted at wakeboarders vs skiers. I've been using the Radar X vest for 2 years and have been pretty happy with it. It does feel pretty big and heavy when you put it on in the boat (especially when it's already wet) but I don't notice it when I ski. Your arms tuck into the X pattern in the front of the vest so when I tried out the Radar Decibel comp vest, the comp vest actually felt like it was more in the way than the CGA vest.

The one thing that's really strange about the capella/X vest is the vests don't fold flat. There are two seams on the sides instead of the normal one of all other vests. If you're OCD and want all your vests to lay flat under the seats, stay away. Otherwise, just jam it under the seat with all the others like I do and forget about it.