Really short lake

rodltg2

• Baller

I don't know why I'm really asking because I am not buying this property . Anyhow I saw a home listed with lake on property that advertised that you could waterski on it. Of course my curiousity got the best of me and I googled it. No way a six ball course could fit even set up as 8 buoy.

Could one install a 6 buoy set up as a 4 ball course ?

• Baller

@rodltg2 Have you measured the lake? or know the length? I know of some guys who have an overlapping 6 and just ski 4. 1600' is the minium you need for an 8 buoy to work.

@OB do you know the lengths for a overlapping 6 to ski 4?

• Baller
Since it's just a curiosity question... I'd think turning 4 buoys would be fun provided you had the space to make it into a 6 buoy course in the future. If the lake is the exact width of property, I think I'd rather buy a home on open water and do a portable course or go to someone elses lake. A place you are only partially happy with will only depreciate in your own mind as time goes on leaving you wanting more.

• Baller
Our new lake, LaPoint Ski Park is an 8 bouy overlapping course, and everyone that has skied there has loved it, including Nate Smith, who bumped our course recorded today, running 41! I love having the zero ball there, I go around it at 28 off, and then go just in front of it at 32 off and shorter. I skied back in Oh today, and on my first pass I was missing having the zero ball here. It really helps you know how wide you are or not. I agree with @ob, take a wind protected, private 4 bouy site anyday over public water and other boat traffic.

• Baller
@MattP - I completely agree. We actually had one, but the zero buoy freaked some out....so rather than coming up with a way to deal with it (we had a pool noodle there a while, which worked fine I thought), they ripped it out and put the 6 buoy back in. I didn't log but about 30 sets there last season...so most of my skiing was somewhere else. I suspect this year will be the same.

• Baller

On Google Earth, you can get some very accurate measurements. Great for checking out potential sites.

There are several ways that people have shoehorned courses into tight sites, the so-called 8-buoy being one. In New Jersey, the Autores have a setup with 2 separate 6-buoy courses that overlap by 1 1/2 buoys. In a length of only around 1300 feet, but the boat can pull into a cove at the side at each end. Strange-looking, but it works. Last year, they ran a Class L there.

Shortest I've ever seen was at the old Marine World in Redwood City, California, where they ran a 4-buoy competition in about 1050 feet.

• Baller
I agree, @MattP. Had that been my only ski site, a crutch like that would not be beneficial, but that particular season, I was at 4 sites regularly, and the other 3 were 6 buoy. That was a good season for learning to be consistent for me. 4 sites, 5-6 different boats, probably 8 different drivers, and I was almost the same at all. Now to get like that one loop shorter... :)

• Baller_
Cyprus Gardens (now Lego Land) back in the 90s. 4 ball pro-tour inside the tires. Very very short and bumpy. I believe they did this one time and never went back. Guessing around 850' to 900'. If I remember correct, I think they only went in one direction.

• Baller

Cypress Gardens was one of 10 tournaments in the 1993 season on the Bud Tour. And, no, they didn't go back, but I don't know why. Conditions were helped a lot by the tire barrier there. I could look up what the performances were, but that would take some digging.

The 4-buoy course was run from both directions, since there was a lot of lineup room at one end, where the boat & skier could go well outside the tire barrier (see picture from Google Earth). Same with the approach for jumping. On the Google Earth picture, which is from 2010, and with the ramp(s) gone, I've marked a line about where the 177 meter long SL course was.

• Baller_
Ed, thanks for the clarification. I spend a few days each year with my dad's antique boat pulled up to the tires to watch the ski shows lake side. While the tires break waves a bit, it's not that great IMHO. Props to those show skiers that do what they do in those conditions. I do remember Carl R in an on stage interview having not such good things to say about the site, set up and conditions. This was not that far from where we were seated. Remembered that cause my wife commented on his demeanor when it really didn't matter to any records or anything. Coulda just been a bad day for him in slalom. I think attitudes towards bringing the Pros back to sites not so great (Soaked) to get it back infront of the masses should consider Lego Land. Captive audience.

• Baller
That listing is in Galt, California, which got me thinking about Justin Seifried (sp?). Anybody know if he's still skiing, and if not, what happened? He was an awesome skier. I think won the Jr. Masters back in 2000 or so.

• Baller
I'm setting up a course in south GA that has barely 2000 feet. It is plenty so long as we don't have another serious drought soon. Far end is only 4 to 5 feet deep with the water a lil high right now. If water drops a lot I would prob turn it into a 4 buoy course. My real issue is a couple sea walls. Pass 1 and 2 are sweet. A bit noisy after that.