196 Bimini

doonez

Finally installing a Bimini on our 196 and after looking at a few photos on the Internet people put them on different ways round. Which way is best and are there any tips and tricks for installing them (drilling all the holes etc)? Also at one end there are slits in the fabric to allow you to put a strap around the frame and it will hold but at the other end there is no such thing. Just looking at it I doubt if there would be enough friction to hold it in position - what are we meant to do here? Sorry for the pictures appearing upside down - I'm not sure what's going on there (no they weren't taken upside down)

• Baller
I have seen the front straps in the metal breather plates to avoid drilling in the gel coat. The straps really didn't blur my vision driving, so I wish ours came like that. They also had the back straps mounted in the step pad, but the rope was hitting them at 38. I would not do that if you have guys skiing short rope.

@Wish yes looking at it I think I'd run with the red boat way (I also think it looks better and possibly more functional). Although where these boats seem to have a metal pole at the front/back we have simply got a strap which looks like it will slip down (see RHS of my middle pic (when it's the right way up)).

• Baller
I attached the rear metal strap mounts in the floor even with the pylon. Bimini mount is on the windshield frame. The front metal strap mounts are drilled into the fiberglass. If you drill into the glass drill in reverse until you are through the gel coat to help prevent chipping. Be sure what is directly below your drill point first!

@thager what do you mean "I attached the rear metal strap mounts in the floor"? Interesting that you put the Bimini mounts on the windscreen frame. I'm not sure if we'd be able to do that because ours is rounded but we have flat based mounts. I suppose it could be done if you sanded it to the right shape but I don't know if I'd be confident drilling into the windscreen frame!

• Baller_
Hopefully you all think of biminis as more then just a way to get out of the heat. They are IMHO the best way to keep yourself out of the suns harmful rays. Not to be a downer here or your mother but put the bimini up even if the temps are not hot. New statistics just out. Skin cancer is now nearly as prevalent as all other cancers combine and appears to be getting worse.

• Baller

@doonez, the installation is on a friends boat up in Michigan, and I have not seen it since last summer. So I am not sure how they mounted it. I do remember it was drilled into the top plate. Could probably use small bolts with lock washers and nuts to hold the loop that you clip to.

This is the first boat I have owned with a bim and will never boat without it. I have had enough skin problems.

• Baller

• Baller_
@Richard NICE! window mounts always look good to me. Carbon Pros are a good example. I had a similar zip-in/snap on as part of a custom bimini for my old Supra. @east tx skier. Mine is mounted the exact same way on my SN and has seen 39-41 skiers without issue. @MS is he smiling or giggling about your bimini being on backwards? ;-)

• Baller_

@doonez, Both my boats had what we are saying is forward/conventional and both fit/collapse infront of the windshield with covers. It's because my first boat and second boat were done this way (forward) that everything else looks backwards. My boats both had the bimini slightly tipped/slanted down in the front so they do not catch wind and balloon up. I adjust that slant until the pressure is equalized (close as I can get it) when at speed as to not have down or up force from forward speeds. That meant a little tipped down in the front in both case. I think a bimini that is being forced down or up at speed (same for loose floppy ones) can actually affect performance like a sail. And tipped down a bit just looks better IMHO.

• Baller_
Perfect is relative to the design of the bimini IMHO. If you are going for no down or up force but neutral as possible, pic 3 may be OK. Having that same one very taught also make a difference and generally a positive one. For me, the tighter the better. Should be able to bounce a quater off of it. But agree a hair lower would look nice and would have better clearance to walk under to the seat.