What's ZUP

Wish

• Baller
I was visiting MasterLine today and saw one of these odd handles in the corner. I asked, "what's up with that?" Randy replies with, "Zup." So I went, "Yeah, zup with that?" I had no idea what he was talking about, so it went back and forth alla "who's on first?" Finally, he explained that it's for a new product called the Zup. Thanks @SooSPX, if I hadn't just seen your post, I think I'd still be scratching my head.

• Baller
Looks like it'd be fun for the first day. Something for people to screw around on. Slightly more challenging than tubing so I'm sure it'll be a huge hit with the general public if it isn't too expensive. I'd try it but I wouldn't buy one.

Pretty interesting, but that wouldn't replace the zip sled/Bob Sked for the little ones around our house. Part of the appeal of the old gear is that they can stand up on it without having to hold a handle tied directly to the boat. Still pretty cool. But it jumps over one of the steps we always used to get our kids from standing on the zip sled to trainer skis.

IMG_1158.JPG

• Baller_
It comes in yellow?.. and here I thought all zip sleds were orange-ish. @east tx skier agree on the skipped step. Is the zip sled even produced anymore? Just thought the Zup was something to get kids in the water with some transitioning elements. Heck, I made one of those horseshoe plywood type boards toed by the boat with a handle up to the rider for my daughter. At 3 yrs old, she had an absolute blast painting it to her liking. It is now wall art on the dock.

I spent years looking for this one. A year later, I found another one. They are both yellow.

A little history on these things. There are 3 variations of what we commonly call "zip sleds." The original "Admiral" and "Captain" Zip Sleds were produced by Union Carbide in the 60s and maybe the 70s. They were blue, had no molded handles, and had drain holes in cutouts ("aquaplanes") on the bottom. They ceased being produced some time in the 70s (presumably sued out of existence).

My father in law has one (Admiral). We sourced two more last fall. We sold one for about $300 (in two days) and gave the other to my brother in law for his kids.

Zip%2520Sled%2520Ad.jpg

This is my father in law's Admiral Zip Sled.

PICT0087%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Pictured in my post above is a "Bob Sked." These were made in the 70s by Puritan Mills, Inc. They came in Orange and Yellow. Some of the orange ones had a little less hood or bonnet on the front. They were intended to be used on snow and water. Also sued out of existence (presumably) in the late 70s or early 80s.

BobSked.jpg

When I was searching for these several years ago, I recalled Schliterbahn in New Braunfels, Texas, having a ride where you rode orange Bob Skeds down a water slide. I contacted them and they confirmed that they had hundreds of them, all of which were "destroyed" when the ride was retooled. That made me pretty sad.

There is another variation that I grew up getting to use (probably have some pictures somewhere). It almost looks like a pair of skis with a center section between them (think of an H with a fat middle section). It is yellow molded plastic and has a rope handle. I have yet to see another one. It was a lot of fun to ride. I have heard people talk about riding a "Ski Bob." Not sure if that's what this was. There are lots of things with "Ski Bob" printed on them these days.