How to change the transmission fluid in a 09 SN196

PatM

• Baller
I found a small siphon pump at the automotive section at wal-mart. I get the engine to operating temperature and pump the old fluid out through the dipstick hole. My boat is 1994 Ski Nautique so it probably is not the same tranny. Pay close attention to the fluid type and capacity. You don't want to exceed the capacity. You may need a funnel with a hose to refill which you can find at an auto parts store. The boat should be in the water an floating when you check the fluid level, Check it both cold and hot to make sure you have no put in too much..

• Baller

Measure the amount of fluid removed and put the same amount back in. A 2002 Ski Nautique has a 2 quart capacity and the fluid reservoir has 2 levels. The vacuum removal tube needs to go in the smaller diameter dipstick hole to the lower level. I usually get almost 2 quarts.

Don't overfill and don't use synthetic fluid. www.planetnautique.com has lots of good info on maintaining your boat.

• Baller

My PCM transmission went out about 12 years ago. I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid. The head technician at the local Correct Craft dealer (at the time) said the synthetic may have contributed to the problems. He said PCM specifically recommends against synthetic fluid.

I have also read not to use Type F and never put in more than 2 quarts. Now I change every 100 hours with Castrol Dex Merc but I'll be watching for other recommendations.