Finished Teak Platform

tfriess

• Baller

Hello all,

Due to lack of time, we finally got our platform done and let me tell you IT LOOKS OUTSTANDING! We used a total of 4 products on it. First we started with a mold and mildew remover. Then we used the Star Brite products. Teak cleaner, teak brightened, then finally the teak oil. We ended up used zero sandpaper as we thought it would be too slippery and it was smooth enough without it. Notice the green around the outside of the platform. The first two pictures are from the start, then the next is after the teak brightened, right before we put of the oil. Then we have the finished product.

• Baller

Looks like it should be in your dining room!

This weekend there was a tiny scratch on the bottom of my ski. I found the tip of a screw had worked up in the dead center of the platform.

The platform has been neglected for a couple of years so I removed it, hit it with a pressure washer and backed out all the screws a little bit. Removed the offending screw and ground the tip before it went back in.

• Baller
I clean my platform at the beginning of every season but after two weeks it looks like crap. It sits in the water all season and short of taking it off the boat and cleaning it up there is nothing I can do for it. Makes me wish for a glass platform because it looks so crappy most of the time. Freshly cleaned and oiled teak looks awesome though.

• Baller
wow..you did the underside too......nice. By the time I have finished with the top I can never bother doing underneath. I love teak but it is a PITA when all you want to do is get the boat in the water a go for a rip.....

• Supporting Member

In the past, mine have looked good for about 1 week after oiling them. Then a few years ago I discovered a teak "sealant." I try to put some oil on and then (after drying a bit) put the sealant over that. This actually doesn't look *quite* as nice right away (not as shiny as the oil and maybe mutes the grain pattern a little), but it lasts through an entire season in the water.

I recommend it, but I'm having a little trouble finding the specific product I've been using in an online search. Guess I'll have to go old-fashioned and actually get it from my basement and read it! (after I get home of course)

The regular old Starbrite teak "oil" is (or has) a sealant. I prefer the oil without the sealant. The times I used the sealant, the platform felt a little slick when wet. The product you used might yield different results. My boat looks good enough with one treatment per season. But it is garaged when not in use, which helps tremendously.

• Baller

@Chef23, I used Allguard on my platform and it lasted all season. My friends also went to it and had good results.

It requires stripping and then I put on 2 or 3 good coats. It seals and doesn't let water in.

• Baller

The easiest way to refinish a teak platform, guaranteed. Step 1 - Take the wood down to bare and raw with 100 grit sand paper. Majority can be done with a belt sander, sand paper for the hard to get to spots and finish work. Nothing finer, 100 grit is sufficient. Step 2 - apply WATCO Teak Oil (available at Home Depot etc for abouty $16 a quart). Dose it good and heavy, let it soak overnight. Step 3 - hand rub smooth with a cotton cloth (old tee shirt). Step 4 - redose 2 - 3 more times, let soak until basically dry and hand rub it down each time before applying the next coat. Done.

My platform always looks like brand new, this stuff lasts and it doesn't finish slick. If you get a little scuffage going on, just touch up and rub it smooth. Did my platform 4 seasons ago when I first got the boat, all I do now is touch it up occasionally. Still on the first quart I bought 4 years ago. Don't make it any more work than it has to be.

Ed