Best training method for 4 pass limit

rodltg2

• Baller

Unfortunatley I usually cannot go more than 4 passes due to foot cramping. I've tried hard shells , hybrids , rubber. Nothing helps. Only way I can make it to 6 is by pulling the binding off for a minute or so between passes. Don't like to that as it is a PIA .

Anyhow my usual routine was :

15/34

15/34

22/34

28/34

Last year skied my first tournaments and I slowed the boat to secure running first pass. So lately I've been running the first pass at 32mph.

Should I continue this routine or always practice at 34. I usually get about half way thru 28 and occasionally run it. Only ran it once this year.

• Baller
Tournament skiers should run their opener 99.9 % of the time, I think I read that here. So do whatever it takes to run that opener easy. Some may disagree but for me I want my forth pass to be my hardest.

• Baller

I used Animals for years and would take the front rubber and move it forward, opening the space between back and rear rubbers. I also moved the overlays back into the next hole back (about 2 inches), as this allowed them to "pucker" a little more and didn't cut into my high arch ankle. Another trick was to take the plastic width shims out, so the rubber front piece made a higher arc.

Sounds like a lot of work, but a standard boot felt like it was going to crack my foot in half. I used XL with size 12, so was not undersized.

If you are still stuck at 4 passes, I would ski first round 15, 22,22,28. Second round 22, 28@32, 28@34, 32@?

• Administrators

@rodltg2

I believe that this has been a struggle but you have to find different bindings. Not sure exactly what you are using but you do not need super tight bindings.

@rodltd2, I think it's great that your front binding situation is problem free, as I think think the front is more important than the rear, to keep tighter. Maybe try a Wiley's rear full, that is sized generous for you. I think the Wiley's rear is also available in "wide". I think I have a wide. This will allow you to ask Wiley's to put in a heal lift, if you want (go for the thick) for you. Ask them to cut off a little of the front heal lift, so it doesn't put pressure on your arch. IMO, the Wiley's rear ( full, or rtp) is compatible with any make of front. I hope this helps. There is more than one way to skin a kudu.

• Baller

Radar Vector is very comfortable.

I can put my ski on in in the water since they are easy to open / adjust.

Could that be an option?

But this is just a beginners 2cents.

Anyhow best luck finding a better solution.

• Baller
Rod, if you can't find a solution to the binding issue, you could try spinning at the far end after your first pass so that you're not out there as long in order to get 6 passes. For example, go out at 32/15 and run it twice without dropping. Then, go 34/15, 34/22 and take a couple shots at 28. I find spinning rather than dropping gets you in better shape for tournaments and it could cut down on your overall time for a 6 pass set and thus stop your rear foot cramps. Just a thought...