Aquaplex Record recap

ForrestGump

• Baller

It's always nice to roll through the gates at one of my favorite places to ski. When Hurricane Ike displaced us back in late 08, Aquaplex was nice enough to let my girlfriend and I stay in their clubhouse for a week. Made lifelong friends then. Love this place.

This time around, the conditions were challenging. Wouldn't you know the wind decided to make it's appearance all weekend long. 15-20 right down the lake saturday. 20+ on sunday albeit at a bit better angle. Regardless, there were some great performances.

Mark Turner @usaski1 ran his 26mph pass on his sit down slalom ski, a pass he hadn't run at a tournament in 5 years. Then ran it 3 more times over the weekend for good measure. Great skiing! Marc has two skis so we've decided to have a ski off at some point this year. I'm thinking I should up my insurance. lol

Mike Royal set a new vision impaired world record. Then reset it. Then reset it again at 1 @ 39 1/2 off. Close your eyes and think about how impressive THAT is.

G3 Bailey Austin ran 1 1/2 at 38 off. Then in the next round ran 2 @38 off. Not only was it a pending SCR regional record, but it wil l likely earn her an open rating so that she will be seeded better and can wake up later at future tournaments.

G3/OW Brie Carter tied her pending G3 national record at 5@38, then set a new pending record at 5.5@38. If you've never seen Brie, her father Chris, and her two sisters Caylee and Chanah, it's a nice sight. That's the way to be a ski family. No one ever got in the water without Chris and at least one sister on the dock.

Jerry Goodson was killing a 39 1/2 off 20 mph tailwind pass when he fell into the handle at 6. Luckily, Jerry only got some bruising. But geez, that was impressive in that wind. Oh so close to getting a good shot at a headwind 41 off.

Jeff Greathouse @cypressskier set a pending SCR record for the greatest crash of the year. Nothing like getting pulled over the front and burying the tip in the backside trough to eject you into a gainer into the water, then skip like a stone into a head over heals front flip. Boat camera video of the crash is being uploaded to youtube for posterity purposes. And so we can continually remind Jeff of his feat.

And I set a record for the shortest tournament round of my ski career. With a whopping 1/2 in the 2nd round. Which was surprising to me because I'd set a pending record for myself in the first round of 2 1/2. I will abstain from giving skiing advice until my performance improves.

My terrible performance aside, it was a great weekend of skiing and visiting with friends. We sometimes get caught up in chasing buoys and don't just enjoy why we do this sport.

• Baller
Nice write up Shane! I spent 45 min getting that 2nd ski together to see if anyone wanted to "ride the lightning" ... hehe .. no one had the balls. Maybe next time. Truly a fun tourny, but round 6 I was showing some fatigue.... got like 1 and 1/2.. blew my opener. ahh well...

• Baller

There was no way Shane was going to say can't do any worse again.

It was a great tournament Marc Austin did a great job with the electronics. The after ski BBQ at the Hamilton's was great. The skiing was really good. Congrats to Bailey and Brie on there accomplishments. Just Ditto what Shane said great recap.

Jeff and Tina