Quickset and the Cedar Ridge Short Lake- Wow!

ForrestGump

• Baller

Quickset- Imagine a 1280 ft long by 200 ft wide lake with a 300 foot left dogleg on each end, that makes a Z shape. Then imagine plopping a 6 buoy slalom course in the middle of it and saying "Let's ski!" That's what Lonnie Harris did in Canton, Mississippi. I heard people talking about it. But you just have absolutely no idea until you actually strap a ski on a go at it. Nuts. Crazy. Ridiculous all come to mind. But honestly, getting to ski that water yesterday morning with Lonnie, Horton, Scott Jones, Mike Erb, Carl Addington, and Woody Lyle is the most fun I've had skiing. There are no 55s. Mainly because the shore gets in the way of where the 55s would be. You sit at the far end of the dog leg, the boat pulls you up, you have time to get into the left prop wash, and then the boat does a 90 degree turn, slings you wide left, and it's time to turn in. At the far end, the boat turns immediately 90 degrees to the left as soon as you exit the gates and slings you wide right all the way to the end of the dogleg. Then you turn around and do it again. My set was sketchy at best. But it was soooooo much fun. And I could tell that with a week to ski there, I could run a lot of buoys. Horton took some hi res video of my really ugly passes that he'll post once we're back in civilization with broadband access.

Cedar Ridge Short Lake- This was so much fun too. I've never been on an 8 buoy course. But then you throw in the fact that each end you exit the course straight at a shoreline, the boat pulls you through a short chute and into a small sit down pond. And then you turn around, the boat pulls you up, out the short chute, doglegs and it's time to pull out. I'm not going to lie, the number of buoys got me a wee bit confused on one of my passes. But so much fun.

The thing that both of these sites had in common is not just a lack of length. It's that they both have serious character. We're so used to skiing at these sanitary private sites which all look the same. You couldn't help but say Wow at these two places. And the hospitality that everyone showed us was second to none. You'd think with me and Horton, they'd be want to light Horton's hair on fire and run us out of town! But no! I think if we'd told Lonnie and Movelyn that we were moving in, Movelyn would have just showed us where the laundry room and vacuum cleaner was and said ok.

• Baller
3 years ago I skied in the Cedar Ridge 4th of July weekend tourny. Went over to Lonnie's and watched Todd Johnson jump in and run right through 39 without missing a buoy, crazy skiing! You guys know, you've been there. The funny line of the day - Tim H asked Todd what he thought after his opener - when Todd could quit laughing he said, "you sure don't have time to adjust your shorts"!

• Baller
Yep the folks at Cedar Ridge and Quickset always make you feel like home. Shane I couldnt lift my cooler into my truck last nite my arms were so tired, glad I am at work so I can rest up to ski tonite in Dallas! Oh yeah ask Scott Tynan about adjusting his shorts at Quickset!!

• Supporting Member

Quickset is a totally awesome name for a site, btw.

It's fascinating how some of these bizarre-layout sites ski sooo well. Naturally, I am thinking of the home of my PB, John's Pond in NJ. Not even enough room there with the doglegs, so they have two courses on top of each other overlapping by about a buoy. From the side, it looks like a sea of random buoys. Going out the exit gate at -38, it looks sweeeeeet. :)

• Baller

Continuing vs. John's Pond. Also about 1280' along the centerline of the slalom courses. With turnouts, but one is the "wrong" way such that the approach doesn't whip the skier out. Go to these coordinates: 41deg17min44sec North 74deg38min46sec West.

Two separate 6 buoy SL courses separated by 1 1/2 buoys or 61.5meters. The most recent Google Earth picture does show the buoys. Also no pregates there. They had a Class L event there last year, after I did the surveys earlier in the year.

Tightest setup I've ever seen was a at the Old Marine World in Redwood City, CA, in about 1050 feet. However, that was a 4-buoy SL.

• Baller

This is one end of Quickset. The skier starts at the yellow buoy on the left of the photo. The boat between the two yellow buoys heading to the right in the photo. Boat makes a hard right at the yellow bouy on the right, skier whips out while the boat is turning and voila, turn in for the gates. What could be easier?

• Baller
OK, Thread Bump! My wife Alana and I just skied The ridge this week and had the most amazing 2 days! @teammalibu (Mike and Karen) invited us to come ski and we did, one of the best decisions I have ever made! The short course was super fun and Bubba was an awesome driver that made it smooth, after skiing the 8 ball course the regular lake almost seemed too long! Thanks to everyone at the Ridge, what a great family!!