San Marcos River Ranch / 2014 Nationals Site

Horton

• Administrators

For the last day of the Horton & Hill Tour, Shane and I were at San Marcos River Ranch (SMRR). SMRR will the 2014 US Nationals site. This place skis awesome. If I was not physically exhausted I am pretty sure I would have matched to my PB.

As a nationals site it looks perfect. There are places on site where you can clearly see 3 of the 4 lakes at once and can mostly see what is going on at the 4th lake. The local club / organizers run a great tournament. The weather is consistently good. I have no doubt that SMRR will host a great National next year.

Check it out http://www.sanmarcosriverranch.com/

• Baller

Everyone is going to love SMRR as a site for nationals the next two years. It's right on the San Marcos River. The river outfitter next door will rent you tubes and transport you up river to float down. You can do 2 hr, 4 hr, or 6 hr floats back down to SMRR. Awesome area on the river for RV parking. Really nice park on the river. Rope Swings. Rapids. It's just really cool. All the pics below were taken at the back of the property. Well, except for the first one showing the ski lakes.

I'm planning on organizing a group of people to take a trip over to New Braunsfels 15 miles away to do the 6 hour float down the rapids of the Guadalupe River. Will be a blast.

• Baller
I thought of something really crazy the other day... I think I'm going to try to ski at nats.. I don't know how I'm going to do it... I think Im going to need to write usawaterski or something. I'd like to ski m3, but technically I wouldn't qualify. I could perhaps do an exhibition or something, but would prefer to ski in regular M3 class. I think it would really open some eyes.

• Baller
@usaski1 I know you can ski AWSA tournaments and achieve a rank of level 7 to ski regionals. But I'm with Shane start with Bob. I think it would be cool to combine the two nationals. We all do the same thing.

• Baller
There has been talk of combining the able and disabled nats in the past.. but it never got off the ground. Not sure why. Now I'm feeling dumb, whats "level 7"? I plan on skiing the ab regionals next year.. this all hit a little late this year. I did ski TX State, (hell, I even placed in trick and jump) the Aquaplex record, My disabled regionals, and I'm going to do a few more tournaments this fall. I emailed Bob with the above vid.

• Baller

Placing at the state is an entry to the regionals too. SCR policy. Placing at regionals will punch your ticket to nationals. Level 7 is a ranking list percentile group. Ski well enough to have an average in level 7 or above and you're qualified for nationals. Go to usawaterski.prg on the 3 event page and click on ranking lists. You'll see a FAQ which will help.

Admittedly I haven't even been tangentially involved with disabled waterski for nearly 20 years but as I recall one of the issues with a big disabled tournament is the "site logistics" like ramps and access to boat docks etc. Sounds like a lame excuse but depending on the divisions and numbers if contestants it can be challenging. Secondarily would be that some events are scored/judged differently than the able bodied. I'd guess the learning curve is achievable in short order but its another consideration.

Personally I think it would be real cool though!!

• Baller

@klindy

Thanks for that explanation... I don't think I could place at regionals... a few at 28mph wont get me into the rankings. I didn't place in slalom at TX state, but I did in trick and jump. Im think an exception might have to be made... and perhaps somebody might not be willing to make that exception... I know that's a risk.

The site logistics... I'm a firm believer in when there is a will, there's a way... I'll crawl through the mud if I have to. I'm thinking I would talk to the site organizers at SMRR to make sure I could get on all the docks. It wouldn't take much... a piece of plywood is likely all that's needed to make most docks accessible. I'll be damned if a little accessibility stops me!

On the scoring... to keep things fair, the only thing that is different is the trick scoring... slalom and jump are the same. Slalom has a rule were we could start at a shorter rope length, but that doesn't affect me. (15 off). I would most likely have to forgo some trick points. we get credit for 2wake back/fronts

• Baller

@usaski1 fully agree Mark, my comments were my recollection of the discussion not meant to suggest impossible hurdles to overcome. Obvioulsy we made things work just fine at TX State and there's always folks ready to help as needed.

You're (and certainly others) are completely capable of competing according to tradtional 3-event rules. Other disabled divisions may not be as good a 'fit' but still possible (blind?)

Let us know how your communication goes on the idea....

• Baller

@usaski1 overall. I don't think there are many Men 3 Overall skiers. You placed in tricks and jumps at the state tournament, I would guess you did in overall as well. I think there were only like 6 total overall skiers in the south central. Not sure what your trick and jump scores are but you might have a pretty good shot.

I watched the video, and that is just bad ass.

• Supporting Member

Great point @jwr. A top 5 in overall at the regionals would qualify for Nationals with no exception at all, right?

@usaski1 You're talking about next year, right? I'm planning to skip Nationals this year, but I'll have to quickly rethink my plans if you're going to ski -- and in my division no less!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan

Yes, Than 2014. I screwed up this year, and this "genius" idea didn't hit me till it was too late.

So my road to nats starts with 2014 TX state, then SCR regionals (wherever they are) and then back in my "backyard" at SMRR. Does qualifying in 1 event at states get you a full pass for all 3 events at regionals?

• Baller
Just looking on Google Maps and wondering which airport is best to fly into for National's? Looks like the site is right between San Antonio and Austin. What are things to consider when flying into either airport? Which is the best for rental car deals and easier to get in and out? How much further is Houston Hobby? Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Baller
Austin is preferred by me. Just west if the Austin airport you can get on the bypass which is relatively lightly traveled and has the highest posted speed limit in the nation. You're right that it's about equal distance between both airports but real travel time is much shorter from the Austin airport.

• Baller

My inlaws used to live in San Marcos, my father in law sold the house a few years ago and moved to Temple after my mother in law passed. San Marcos...awesome town...Temple...well...we get to see my father in law. Of course now that he has moved, I see stuff about this site all the time...kills me!

Any way, Austin is a little quicker, little easier, San Antonio isn't a bad option if it is cheaper. If you fly into Austin, stop at El Chile, excellent food, especially the Chili Rellenos. While in San Marcos, you have to make a slight trip to either Coopers BBQ or Kreuz bbq. If you do San Antonio, there is an awesome little car wash, bar, burger place, laundry mat that has awesome burgers. You also have to find some puffy tacos.

If anyone wants a list of stuff to do in Austin/San Marcos, let me know :)

• Baller

Tina and I look at the price. It seems like we fly out of SA if were going west and Austin if we go east. It takes a solid 50 minutes to SA but there is a traffic concern. Austin is a solid 30 to 35 min but it is a back way to take traffic out. If you go to I35 s to San Marcos you will more than be delayed by Austin traffic. My advice get the best deal.

Jeff

SMRR resident

• Baller

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but its totally relevant:

I followed the game plan set forth here last year, this year:

I skied the the TX state, and placed 2nd, overall. (went, as in went out my back door!)

I then, after qualifying for regionals via TX state, skied all three events at the SCR in Cypress.

There were only 4 mens 3 jumpers... and so, just by laws of numbers, and getting a score in each event, have now officially qualified for the Nationals at San Marcos.

I have done some research, and I am 99% sure I am the only disabled skier to ever qualify for the "normal" "AB" nationals, in the history of, say 25 years of disabled skiing.

Take a look at this sweet jump pic from last weekend! I'll see you all at the Nats! **ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!** thank you for the tips, and the roadmap to successnull!

• Baller

@usaski1 Mark, way to go. It was great to cheer you on!

Matthew and I should have registered for jump, put on skis and passed scoring zeros. For both of use we would have qualified in overall with just slalom and trick nops points alone. Live and learn...

• Baller
@ToddL‌ for overall you have to post a score above zero in all three events at regionals if qualifying thru regionals placement. Klindy will confirm. He went thru the same thing last year. He finished top five at regionals but did not land a jump. He was not allowed to ski overall at Nat's.

• Baller

As @ntx noted above for placement at regionals any score (individual or overall) must be above zero. Strange that Its the only place in waterskiing where a zero doesn't count but currently that's the case.

So if you score in slalom and trick but don't land a jump, even through you may place 1-5 overall that is NOT a qualifier for nationals. Each event must be above zero.