D3 Quest Question

LeonL

• Baller

Just got a Quest off the FedEx truck about 4 hours ago. Expected to see an obvious curve in the so called "RockerBox". Mine looks straight and flat as can be. Even a straight edge does not indicate a rocker in this area. What's up with that? Is it so subtle that it can't be seen with the naked eye? By the way l did ski on it and didn't feel any remarkable difference from my RCX. I guess I'm such a hack I can take a great ski and make it feel like 5 year old technology. I really expected to have some kind of surprise at some point in the course, but alas so far no surprises.

• Baller

Take the block off and put it on something really flat like a granite counter. You will see some rocker as it will teeter in the middle. Not a lot, but some. There is a chance you got a flat block my mistake so it is worth checking. If so, D3 will send you one.

I think it's a lot different than an RCX. Make sure you have it set up properly. Check the fin, it may not be right out of the box.

• Baller
2.500, .740, 6.930. Per Paul Crawford. He also recommended 29 7/8 or 30" however using T-Factor moved all the way forward I can only get 29 3/4. I'm old and only have to ski 32. I ran 2 28's and 2 32's and got nowhere at 35 (3 buoys). It feels ok, but not what I expected. I'll keep trying it, and I'll try the 67" that I have also.

• Baller

@Leonl Paul Recommended a similar setting on my x7. I didn't like it all, put the Tfactors in the middle hole and it was much better for me.

I think @Horton and others ended up back slightly from stock on the Quest.

• Baller
I'm running my bindings all the way back on the 67, the fin is pretty much stock with 7 degrees on the wing... Its the sort of ski that looks after you and can make you look better than you probably should.

• Baller
Just got an email from Paul saying OOPS! He sent me wrong binding figures and that I should go back 1/2" from the figures he originally sent. That makes sense, as I couldn't make those figures work. Back to the "RockerBlock", and I haven't asked Paul about this, but in the area of the fin block I used a straight edge (good, solid straight edge) and could not insert a .002 feeler guage anywhere along this surface. What's rocker about that? Just asking, and curious. I'm hoping the ski feels much better with bindings in the proper place.

• Baller
was the fin block still attached to the ski or did you take it off? You would have to take the fin block off the ski completely, take the fin out of it, then set it on a flat surface to see if you have the right one.

• Baller

@LeonL , FYI.... the rockerblock is not visually noticeable on my 67 Quest (or my daughter's 66). Haven't removed fin block to verify, but it certainly is not as pronounced as on the photo above (and on the D3 website).

I'll throw a straightedge beside the top of the block tonite (as mentioned by ral below), and report back.

• Baller

@LeonL, if you're still dissatisfied with the ski, I'll offer you my ski disposal services. I'll even give you the BOS discount price of free! Just ship it to me and I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly;)

• Baller
@skibug and @bishop8950, I don't understand how a flat block and a rocker block could be interchangeable on the same ski. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the concept of a fin box with curvature designed to fit a ski with curvature(rocker) in the rearmost portion (fin area) of said ski. How then could I have the wrong block(box). It has to fit the ski, whether the ski has rocker or is flat. I'll drop Paul an email with this question.

• Baller
Seth Stisher explain it to me. He said that the ski is flat and the fin block has the rocker in it. When you screw it down into the tail of the ski, by virtue of the pressure exerted through the 6 screws, it adds some very minor rocker to the tail. This is what I remember from our conversation back in April.

• Baller

The rocker block will bend the ski, make no mistake. Seth is using one on his fusion. I like it on my X7 too. It may help many skis, who knows. I love my Quest and definately run a Rocker Block

As far as the potential to get a flat block with a Quest, it shouldn't happen but could have. I am just trying to help you eliminate variables.

Try the bindings wherever Paul suggested, or a bit behind that. Exact placement will depend on which boots you are using and how you ski. I am running my Reflex on my 67" Quest at 29.5".

• Baller

update to my earlier post, I didn't feel like removing fin blocks, so instead laid a straight edge on top surface of ski alongside the block (of a 67 and 66 Quest). There definitely is a very small amount of rocker there, albeit much less than I might have guessed (don't own a feeler gauge so didn't measure it). Seemed consistent between the two skis. Presumably all that is important is how the rocker I detected on the top surface of the ski translates to the bottom side of the ski...no idea how to go about measuring that.

Back to @LeonL 's original post...I can understand why it wasn't detectable with the naked eye. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Baller
@skidawg, now if your rocker block (and @davemac with straight edge) has enough curve to see with no straight edge applied and mine with a straight edge and using feeler gauges that I can't insert even .002, what do you think I've got? It's my understanding that all Quest skis come standard with it.

• Baller
@leonL : sounds like you didn't get what you want, or thought you should get (?) Have you actually talked to Crawford? Mistakes can be made, and corrected. A bunch of guys on a forum can't really help you

• Baller

Two points on this thread: 1. The "picture" posted by @skibrain is not a picture. It is a computer generated image from a CAD model created in Creo Parametric by PTC (www.ptc.com). So, don't expect your fin block to look like that image. 2. It's almost impossible to see the rocker in the rocker block when the fin block is on the ski. When I got my Quest I thought I got one without a rocker block so I pulled the fin block off and just as @bishop8950 said, when I put it on a flat table I could definitely notice the rocker in the block.

The fin block screws do provide enought force to "pull" rocker into the tail of the ski and I do think it makes a difference. It took me a little while to setup my Quest, but now it's really working for me. In fact, last Sunday I tied a six year old PB in a record tournament!

• Baller
Hey guys, I'm not knocking on anybody or the product, just trying to get some input as to why it looks like it does. Rather look like a fool to you guys than Paul I guess. I'm waiting on an answer to an email from him currently. @drago, sometimes a bunch of guys on a forum can help and I think they already have.