Terry Winter Is Awesome!

Brady

• Baller

I am headed back to Salt Lake City after spending an incredible couple of days with some Ballers and of course Terry and Kristin Winter! I have heard many stories about how Terry teaches, but experiencing it first hand, I can now say that I have not seen anyone better! And on top of the teaching, Terry and his sweet wife are the most humble and down to Earth people ever. I am so grateful to have been able to meet and ski with Terry and a special shout out to @davelemons for putting this together! After attending this event, three things happened, first, my skiing has improved drastically, second, Terry has confirmed just how great of guys the elite truly are, and third, Ballers are a rare breed! We have a brotherhood (sisterhood) of passionate and wonderful people across the globe thanks to @Horton!!! I have some pictures of the event below.

getting to meet @davelemons. What a fantastic guy!

b9b95035440a447686174cfe9309ef.jpg

@skinut. Wishing like crazy he was on the water with us. Another awesome Idahoan!

e8705c437dac32fff2c21a98fecd0e.jpg

Terry Winter teaching.

84406b265a0bdd679220c373278991.jpg

The man Terry Winter!! He did a little exhibition for us...merely ran deep into 41. The guy has mad skills!

8a56f41b27c015f8f6908f17afcd83.jpg

• Baller
That looks like a lot of fun! @Brady, I am curious what the primary thing is that Terry worked on with you? I have monitored your progress through your videos and would love to know what a pros feedback on your skiing and "what to work on" sounds like?

• Baller

@Texas6 I would love to share with you what he taught me. I got to work on 3 things.

First. To always always stand tall. I have a tendency to bend especially coming thru the wakes. This would account for why I have so many otf's. the way he talked about it was so simple to understand. He didn't talk with me about leaning forward or shifting my weight, he simple said stand up tall and proud.

Second, he said that I should look down at my toes and make them disappear by dropping my front knee over them....while standing tall. I am guessing this was how he was getting me to not lean back but to rather lean forward on the ski.

Te final thing we worked on was the turn. I was coming around the ball and was literally sliding or spinning my body around causing tremendous load on my body and making it difficult to get stacked once the load from the boat caught up. I was making a huge spray but was leaning too far back and that was why I was breaking at the hips--I couldn't stay stacked with how hard I was turning--especially when I was in the wrong position to begin with. So, what he said to do was to simply lean into the wake and not turn, and when I leaned, to make sure I was doing 1 and 2.

After a few passes, I started getting the hang of it. I quit trying to turn and I simply would fall into the wake and my ski magically turned on its own but I was standing tall--not breaking--with my front knee over my toes!

When I did it correctly, it was amazing. I didn't even feel the boat pull much as I was going thru the wakes. And I was waiting for the ball instead of pulling to the ball, which would create a lot of slack in the past.

Each step was building on the past step. And I could remember each of those so simply! Stand tall, front knee bend and fall, don't turn.

Before this trip I had never skied behind a ZO boat. What I learned was that if I didn't fight the pull but rather so those 3 thjngs, I went with the boat and I didn't feel much at all except a smooth even pull throughout the course!

I joked with him at the end asking how much to just get me fixed on the spot and he said he was going to draw it out over years and years so he could get more money!!!

He was so personable and relatable and didn't try to fit me into any mold, but rather helped me with my skill sets to be the best I can be..

I will definitely be going back to terry! He was amazing, both as an instructor as as a human being!

• Baller
@Brady - what I have noticed about the water skiing sport in general, is that ANY of the pros are very caring and passionate about the sport - and willing to bend over backward to help. THIS is what makes water skiing such an awesome sport. My example? April Coble-Eller teaching my daughter not only how to swim, but get her skiing on the "magic carpet"! - she is only 3 years old. Hurray for skiing and the great folks that do it!!! The pros are truely the ambassadors to our sport!

• Baller

@DaveLemons Amen to that. He is so smooth and so graceful in his lines. And as good of skier as he is, he AND his wife are even nicer as people. They must be from Idaho! :)

The falling to the ball must be the next lesson....especially since you are so much further advanced than I am.

• Baller
I would say that Terry would be head-to-head with Nate if he had a few more inches. He is probably the most technically proficient skier I have ever seen, and, he is still within a few balls of Nate. He is not only losing inches from his height, but also from his reach--a true double whammy. I will say there is not a nicer and more humble ambassador for this sport than Terry, and I am damn proud to know him!!!

• Baller

One thing you can see in the TW video is how far up on the boat he gets. The rope at 32 and 35, close to or a lil beyond the pad on the gunnel. 38, maybe a lil further, but at 39 well past the pad. Does anyone with a SN 200 know how far from the center of the pylon it is to the front of the pad?

I ask because I recently had a non-skier in the boat, and he was quick to notice my rope getting further up on the gunnel on my strong side vs my off side. He understood getting up on the boat would be important as the line gets shorter. This got me working at staying on the handle a little longer until the rope was coming up the gunnel almost the same on both sides.

Pretty cool that a non-skier helped with this.

So, curious how far up TW is getting during his 32 and 35 passes.