Cutting Rope & The Gate

GOODESkier

• Baller

Been skiing the course for about 4 years and really started getting serious about it in the last 2 years. Today I ran straight down the rope to 2 balls @ 38' OFF. Have gotten to 38' OFF a couple other times, but mostly after 2-3 attempts to get through my 35' OFF. Then I try a 38' OFF just cause I am there and it seems like the right thing to do...... Now here comes the question of Technique/Theory:

I do a progressive pull out when the 55's are about a 1/2 boat length in front of the boat. I then do a glide, one handed set up, progressive pull through the gates. In my head I think of starting that transition to the gates just a little earlier for each shortened section. So, my 22' OFF pass transition starts when the gate hits before the bow. My 28' OFF pass starts a transition into the gates about a 1/2 boat length before the gate, so on and so forth........ Seems to be working for me for the most part.

At 38' Off and shorter, should I be doing the same thing? What are some ways to practice a 38' off gate? Today 38' OFF felt very DO-ABLE!!!!! I want to RUN IT!

• Baller
Just my two cents...pull out a little later for the 38. You will get as high on the boat as you do at the longer lines quicker due to the shorter rope so if you pull out at the same spot you are at proper width too early and get sucked back or slowed down too much before you turn in for the gates.

• Baller

DEFINITELY pull out later at 38....I start my 28 and 32 pullout, one handed gate, right on the 55's, and for 35 and shorter. wait 2 feet later...As the line gets shorter, you not only gain quicker speed, but more importantly, the pullout angle INCREASES...Your goal to be farther up on the boat is paramount, and dependent on that later pullout.

The two most common errors I see at 38 is not getting wide enough and farther up on the boat for the start, and second, trying to get your whole body outside the buoy line coming into the apex...Your visual picture changes dramatically, since the handle will no longer reach the buoy. Just keep in mind only your ski has to make it around the buoy, not your head.

• Baller
Can't help you with the one-handed gate. What I was told by Chet for my two hander is that I should be pulling out 6-10 feet before the boat gets to the greens and turning in at a similar point for the gate. That was at 28 and 32. As the rope shortens, he advised me that I'd need to go out earlier and turn in earlier. So, if it was 6 feet at 28 off, it might be 8 feet by 35 off and 10 by 38. At least that's what I think he said.

• Baller

Just got excited about skiing and ended up in a spot where we can ski daily on a course. Life got even better when I joined the Fraser Valley Waterski Club. Definitely owe credit to Dave Miller for helping me with my gates, coaching me on the lake, and setting up both of the goode skis I have been on in the past 2 years. Doesn't hurt that my wife and I are teachers and have a little free time during the summer.........

Got into 38' OFF again today, but broke my handle at 1 ball......... darn it, felt like a good 1 ball!

• Baller_
I asked this of Andy. More spacifice, I asked exactly what he does as the line shortens. He said he pulls out in the exact same place for each shortening of the rope. The ONLY thing that changes is he said he pulls out from that same spot a little snappier for each shortend loop. Snappier but not longer. I've been doing this and so far so good. It has actually suprised me in the few tournaments I've done.

• Baller_
His word snappy I took as a little quicker launch off the white water or where ever you start. And not really laying into it all the way out but yes the same spot each time. That's not to say this would be for everyone. It has worked for me. I was nervas it would engage the ZO but has not seemed to that I've noticed. It just seems to work nicely and I'm not having to gauge that exta foot on the movement of the boat. @Razorskier1 you were at Andys that day with me and I thought you were in charge for the "turn in" question. ;) ..The path back in for me doesn't change I think (kinda automatic and haven't been paying attention). Seems to be the tip o the boat hitting entrance gates. How far up on the boat in the pull out does and it's that extra Snappy launch that puts me further up. (all 2 handed).