Here is "ALMOST" everything I know about the 2014 MasterCraft

Horton

• Administrators

MasterCraft has been working on a new slalom/3-Event Boat boat for a few years. When I say working on, I do not mean talking about it. I mean year round R&D. I mean guys with engineering degrees sanding on the bottoms of boats. That is not what MasterCraft told me. That is what my network of spies has told me.

Semi-officially I have heard that MasterCraft may unveil a new "direct drive boat" in Calgary next week. Direct drive usually means it is not a wakeboard or surf boat. They are not officially saying if it is a new slalom/3-Event Boat.

I will be in Calgary for the “MasterCraft Water Ski Shootout” so if they unveil the long awaited ski boat I will get to drive it, ski behind it and inspect it.

http://www.mastercraftwaterskishootout.com/

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporting Member
@Horton When/if you see it, please get a beam measurement for the Cochituate Contingent (at least 3 regular posters and at least 2 more occasional posters). We'll be curious if this boat can make it through our tiny tunnel.

• Supporting Member

Yeah nanometers would be good. (I think man-o-meters are used to measure the extent of Anthony Weiner's ... um .. indiscressions.)

I had no clue what a kanejaku was. I have awarded one Awesome for an impressive obscure reference!

• Baller_

Actually, shouldn't that measurement be in feet off relative to tunnel width...

Looking forward to hearing about a new offering to the ski crowd. Since, supposeldy a smaller boat, weight would be a good one to get.

• Baller_
It will most likely be another river barge that has no handling at slow speed in close quarters around docks and such. It will ski great and cost a fortune. The promo guys will surely have to fork out additional $$ to move into them from the 2013s they are selling.

• Baller
I agree with you guys, just wishful thinking. The '91-94 hull was small, but had what I think could be the best slalom wake ever (other than some spray issues). Conversely, I'm not sure you can get that 200-like freight train tracking out of something that small and narrow? Either way, I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it'll be really sweet.

• Baller

manometer |məˈnämətər| noun

an instrument for measuring the pressure acting on a column of fluid, esp. one with a U-shaped tube of liquid in which a difference in the pressures acting in the two arms of the tube causes the liquid to reach different heights in the two arms.

manometric |ˌmanəˈmetrik | adjective ,

manometrically |ˌmanəˈmetrik(ə)lē | adverb ,

• Baller
@richarddoane, my comment is based on pure speculation that the change in hull design for 2014 will make it harder to sell the 2013's; hence the lower price tag to move them. If I were in the market and considering an MC promo; I would probably hold off until the 2014 promos were for sale unless I could get a real deal on a 2013.

• Baller
Guys, we spend stupid money on skis. If it skis better than a 200 or txi, does an extra couple of grand over the current 197 really matter? People are still complaining about the price of a 200, yet cc sells every one they can pop out of the molds. I would expect the benchmark price of the new MC to be equal to a like equipped Team 200. How many of us have purchased a new vehicle that cost thousands more than the identical 3-5 year old vehicle we're replacing. I know I have. Every year the cost of materials and labor goes up. Nobody rides the bus for free. If HO still made a Monza it would cost $1400 and not the $900 that it did in 2005 when @MS started his love affair with it.

• Baller
@shaneH - your spot on. History of price points tells you that when you lower a cost on a product, it may increase your sales, but your profit margin is not the same. If it were a mom and pop type shop that might be acceptable - but MC isn't a mom and pop shop. They are in business to make money. In the face of competition they will not undercut CC and Malibu so the price points would be very close to each other.

• Baller

I completely agree with Shane; 200TE like pricing. I hope I don't get too many thumbs down for this, but as much as I don't want to spend big money on a new boat, I don't see the pricing as out of line. It's a premium purchase, and you get what you pay for. Our family paid $18k for our '86 MC, at the same time a new 911 was in the mid to upper $20's. From what I've seen, pretty much all premium rides have increased proportionally, be it ski boats or what have you.

This should be a great August... the Packers are looking solid in camp, and MC is releasing a new Prostar:)

• Baller_
If I could get @Eddie Roberts to make me a 2014 Monza, I would plunk down 1400 right now. But plunking down over 50k for a ski boat when there are 196s out there that are better then the new bling would not be a good idea. @shane is right about the prices, people will buy them and they will put a price on them that they know they can get. The market will decide how many they can sell and there are plenty of people out there with deep pockets that will buy.

I expect that the new MC will have better fuel consumption than the older boat. A new boat has to be an improvement in every aspect. I’m a CC guy, I’m in my third 196 and I think I’ll be in the market quite soon but I’ll never buy a boat with worst fuel consumption than my actual boat. So 200 is no an option, TXi it’s for sure and let’s see what MC have done.

• Baller

No inference taken, I'm just guessing and wishing:)

I'm also guessing no price increase will not help current 197 values. If it lives up to the hype I've created in my head, it could do what the Evo did to the death star hulls in terms of resale - at least what happened in our area. Dang I can't wait to see this boat!

• Baller
@leopold fuel consumption is in large part proportional to hull surface wetted area. A 200 is 38% more wetted area than a 196, which is probably pretty close to it's increase in fuel consumption. So the only way for the new boat to have less fuel consumption would be for less wetted surface area, something I would highly doubt. At best, i would expect equal wetted surface area to the current 197. A 196 was already a fairly small hull and had less wetted surface area than a 197, if I remember correctly.

Yes ShaneH, you could be right and there is a technical reason for that increase in fuel consumption but the TXi is almost the same length than the 200. Maybe the CC rides deeper with more wetted area or whatever but at the end I think the Malibu is better technology and a more efficient boat. Nowadays I think fuel consumption has to be one of the key points when designing a new hull.