Anyone waterproof their factory cover?

BlueSki

• Baller
I had my Nautique factory cover on my boat (200 cb) when I towed through a torrential downpour and generally wet conditions. When the trip was over, everything on the sides on the engine cover was wet and stuff under the closed bow was soaked too. The cover does fine in the rain when the boat is stationary, but it does not completely repel the water. I am not sure if the water came up under the sides due to the highway speed winds or seeped through the material. The water under the closed bow either seeped through the cover and drained through the slide-down lift ring or swirled around and seeped under the seat. I suspect the former. I would be afraid that Camp Dry or other waterproof sprays would eliminate the breathability. Seems like SN and MC use the same materials... I welcome your thoughts. The vents could also be the cause.

• Baller
Water proofing it not only restricts water from coming in but also exiting. When you are done for the day, the inside of the boat better be completely dry before a waterproof cover goes on. It won't allow it to breath and could create mildew.

• Baller
Every factory nautique cover I've seen the last 4 years(since they went to the black material on their road covers) has been impervious to water. If you get water standing on them, though, you will get condensation underneath which will leave the underside moist. My best friend is a nautique dealer so I've towed boats thousands and thousands of miles the last 3 years for him through some driving rain and never seen issues as long as the poles and straps are used so the cover pulls tight.

• Baller
@KcSwerver, that was my concern too. @ShaneH, it must have just gotten to the point of saturation and condensation. The straps were very tight, but the strap rides near the rub rail towards the bac half of the boat. 75 mph winds and rain are likely enough to allow for seepage.