Gash on the bevel of the ski

KcSwerver

• Baller

After my accident last Sunday I hadn't picked my ski up untill today. I noticed this gash on the bevel and was wondering if anyone. Had anything to say about possibilities of fixing this. Or if it is toast.

Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate everything you can provide.

-Bryan Bailey

• Baller
I have repaired a bunch of skis with top plate or side wall chunks taken out of them; never a bevel. I would not attempt to fix that on my own. That looks pretty significant. In all honesty, I would try and contact Goode and see if they may be able to repair it back to factory specs. I am assuming they would charge you; but, it will be done right. Bevel modification can have quite a significant impact on ski performance.

• Baller

I'm not comfortable fixing it myself. Period. And I don't know if the work that goode would do on it would be worth the money. Anyways I already have pictures and a description sent to Mary @ goode and she will force it to someone to see what they think.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about buying another ski.

• Baller
@kcswerver - sorry that the ski got dinged up! I know you liked that Goode. I agree with @skibug and @shaneH - that looks like a good excuse to get a new ski. It took a pretty good hit with that shatter and splinter on the bevel. Good luck and hope your on the water soon!

• Baller

Currently I'm thinking 2013 prophecy or M6 could be some badass skis. They are a ton of money though. If anyone has one that they are willing to let go of for an amount of money a highschooler could pay. I would entertain it.

Iv already spent 500 bucks on the 9900. This just frusterated me that all that money is now worthless.

• Baller
Anyone who knows me well will say that I'm willing to fix anything but I'd shy away from that. If it was up at the front tip, I'd say no biggy but I wouldn't touch it where it is. Fill it with something to keep it from sticking someone and make something creative out of it for the house or boathouse.

• Baller

@KcSwerver What was your accident? Didn't hear...hope you fared better than the ski.

I don't disagree with the others, may be time for a new stick - but, I would be curious what you hear back from Goode.

• Baller

@zman somehow in my OTF/side crash the ski hit my mouth.

The doctor said I got 8 stitches but it looked like six to me. And they glued my lip closed (there was a big hole where a combination of my braces and ski tore it apart) I am doing great now, I have some nerve damage in six teeth, but I'm healing up quite well. Before and after pictures below.

Thank you ballers so much it is nice to know there are people out there that understand skiing and the risk that comes with it. When I tell people how I did this I'm sure they imagine putting around the lake at 20 mph on two skis. But you guys really understand me :)

On a different note, out of the prophecy, M6, and all other skis (those two, I'm especially interested in) Which would have a better platform for learning to stay centered over the ski. Also by watching my style -which I would classify as a smoother style that maintains as much speed throughout the course as possible (I normally don't stall at the finish of the turn)- is there any ski that favors my style. I know it's hard to say which is better because they are all good skis. I really wish there wasn't a price tag over 1000 bucks on a new ski, my pockets aren't that deep!

Thanks for all the help and the support!

-Bryan Bailey

• Baller

See what Goode says. If they say it's OK to fix you're fine.

How did the damage occur? If the ski flexed and splintered that's a real problem. If you hit something hard there it could be just a ding (in a really bad spot). If your chin did that, you're tough!

From the pictures, I'd fix that ski and ride it until I could afford a new ski. Test the structural integrity by supporting the ends and loading the ski to make sure it can take a load (don't jump on it too hard, the water is fairly soft - you can break any ski if you work hard enough). Use JB weld and a heat gun to get it to wick into the damage. Maybe add some glass or carbon fibers into the JB weld for a bit more structural strength. The ski's strength may be compromised but most of my broken skis have broken between the feet and the fin. One broke in front of the front binding but that was an experimental layup. It looks like there is a lot of intact skin and it's not in the most loaded part of the ski. My structural design is different than Goode's but my edges often look worse than that on the bevels when I'm experimenting.

You do run a higher risk on that ski if you fix it. And you do seem to be subject to nasty crashes. But a broken ski does not guarantee a severe injury - just increases the odds a bit. I got a season ending injury just pulling out for the gates - no fall, no ski damage. Other risks may overshadow the risk from some bevel damage. Inspect it before and after every ride to make sure your fix is holding up.

That Goode is one of the best performing skis. It is shot that way, try to salvage it. Who knows, maybe your file and JB filler edge will work better for you. Don't be afraid to try.

Eric

• Baller

@KcSwerver, I understand your angst over the $200 repair vs. the cost of the ski, but look at it this way...if you really like the ski (it sounded like you did) and if Goode says they can repair it without any residual effects, then $200 is a lot cheaper than $1,000+ for a new ski. Ride it another year or two while you save for a new one.

• Baller

@KcSwerver $200 from Goode? They appear confident in the ski's structure. That's a reasonable price for a factory overhaul. Go for it!

Or break out some JB weld and a file. And ski the same buoy count on an ugly ski...

Eric

@KcSwerver, maybe talk with management at Goode, and verify that they are confident that they will repair to factory performance, and if they are, and if you love the ski, I think 200 is a reasonable amount for the reconditioning. Also maybe ask if they have performed similar successful repairs in the past, and how many.

• Baller
Whatever you decide to do: $200 is much cheaper than a new ski. Save that money now and work on being balanced/centered over the ski. When the time comes for you to get a new ski (ie you have saved up enough) you will be glad you saved your money now - skis are only going to get better!

• Baller
@KcSwerver said "taking the ski...to California" Hopefully, not skiing on it in that condition, right? You do not want to get any more lake water into that wound of your ski. Please keep it dry until repairs are done.