I have seen the 2014 MasterCraft

Horton

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporting Member

@ral Tunnel between launch ramp pond and slalom course pond.

Of course, this tunnel is also possibly THE reason we can have a serious tournament training site on a public park that is less than 30 minutes from Boston.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan, do you ski in those business slacks and a belt? Does it help? Kidding aside, that's a pretty tight squeeze through that tunnel. Must be tough on rub rails when a boat passes and throws any kind of roller into that tunnel

• Supporting Member

@Texas6 If board shorts get any longer, I might as well!

Chef and I are fortunate enough to be able to moor on the course side, so we typically only HAVE to use that tunnel a few times each year. And technically you can beg the army lab to let you borrow their ramp on the slalom course pond, but I strongly prefer not to be subject to their whim.

But folks like @MikeT and my driver last night (Chet, but not that Chet) have to go through every time they ski, so they get pretty good at it. Mike installed a variety of extra rub-rail-like material on this boat to limit the damage.

What you perhaps can't quite see in that picture is that it's made of rough-hewn rocks, so there are a lot of chances to put a nasty gash in your gel-coat or windsheild supports.

There's even sometimes a strong current in there. But the good news is there are almost never rollers, because of the shape of the passageways on either side.

And again, barriers to entry are valuable to us as well!

The weight that was published on MC's FB page has to be a typo or the total weight including trailer.

"At 20 feet in length and 96 inches in width, the new ProStar is slightly larger, yet lighter, than its predecessor – the 190 / 197."

Copied from MC's website on the news release.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - what is the tunnel under? A public road? We have a geotechnical engineer at our lake that specializes in tunnel improvements. Maybe you could get him to design a widening for you.

It wasn't your back that impressed me as much as your triceps. Did you just switch from serious competitive road bike racing to waterskiing? JK - I'll trade arms with you to run 38 again.

Than_Bogan, post the pic of the tunnel view from the pond. I've seen it before a while back on CCFan I think but can't find it now. It's a pretty cool pic. Looks like it should be on the cover of "On Walden Pond" or something.

• Baller

@jimbrake the tunnel is under a railroad. There is no getting rid of it. Frankly it doesn't kill me that it is there because it keeps big wakeboard boats out with huge wakes. I am fortunate in that my boat is moored on the lake we have the slalom courses on so I don't have to go through the tunnel except a couple of times a year.

There is a launching ramp on our lake but it is on the grounds of a US Army facility and we can get access to it right now but if something changes it might not be available.

Due to this restriction the 95" boats are a problem. The LXI/TXI will squeeze through if the water isn't too high but there have been long stretches this year when even a 196 wouldn't come through.

• Baller
Speaking with the MC CEO, he said they actually physically weighed all their boats as the published weight were way off. The statement of 300lbs lighter I would believe to be true. The only question I have is (they have so far hand built 4 boats, none production, 2 are to be in Calgary, and 2 in Europe this weekend), once they start producing "off the line boats", are the weights going possibly go up?.

• Baller_
no ski trunk. good, walk through transom good. no vinyl combing pad to get beat up good, ski rack good, sea deck good, what looks to be a massively big motor box... could just be the angle of the pic

MC has implemented some new qc and mfg processes to help control weight variation but there will be some due to the fact that the boats are built using open molds and the resin is sprayed onto the laminates. They have resin counters to show the amount of resin sprayed but let's just say you never see a technicians use too little resin. This was a major issue when I was there and hopefully it has been dealt with.

Looks like a lot of great features. I'm excited to see advancment in a 3 event boat. I'm looking forward to skiing behind one. I will never have one...

Capacity of 7 people. I know that sounds crazy to the rest of you, but there are times we take another family (usually 4 people) to the lake just to hang out / let the kids play and ski. My kids are 11 & 12 and a big part of them enjoying the sport is hanging out with friends. That's what happened to our 196. It was great, but our TXI is much better.

• Baller

@uflbret, I was going to make the same comment because in the end I don't care how much I spend on gas feed my addiction (like any good addict will admit). I personally put around 700 gallons (~$2700.00) of gas in the boat last year. 30% of that almost equals a new ski. I would like a new ski every year; so, this is how I justify it. Mind you, this is math of an addict and it doesn't always make sense.

Marketing and BS will always go hand in hand; it is a marriage of unsubstantiated potential and hyped speculation.

• Baller

Using less gas isn't just about the money.

Personally, I find filling the boat to be a pain in the ass. The less I have to do that the better.

Also, to me the evolution of bigger, faster, stronger has to include being more efficient.

Kudos to MC for perusing that worthy goal. Now, if we could just get rid of that pickle fork.

• Baller_
By using 30% less gas, it will be much better for mother earth. All that gas that you burn send carbon into the atmosphere and causes Global Warming. We dont need the planet any warmer, my winters are too short the way it is.