How good is the 2014 ProStar?

Horton

• Baller

OK. Here come the dislikes and ban...

To me, the fact of Nate and Will running that does not tell anything about how good the boat is.

I am not expecting it to be worst than the 197, and they can run the same on that one as well. It just tells me that the lake where it took place is good, especially compared to where the World Games took place.

I do expect the boat to have a better wake than the 197, especially at longer line lengths, and to have a better handling and driveability. The fact of a lower engine and pylon would certainly mean the second, and I am pretty sure that the extensive research done by slalom skiers will yield a far better wake.

To me, keys here are wakes, driveability, fuel consumption and price. The 197 is excellent for jump and tricks, better than the SN200, as per what world class skiers tell me. For sure wake and handling for slalom are worst than the SN200. If this new boat gets at the same level or better than the SN200, I think it is a big thing for the sport as they are the official IWWF boat. If the price is not crazy, this will be good for the sport.

• Baller

Predator is not PB friendly at the best of times. With it's cold, high mineral content water and a shallow, rocky bottom, it's as if it was designed to be as hard to ski on as possible. Today, it was so cold that Nick Parsons wore a dry suit and a portable hot tub was towed onto the site to thaw out chattering Floridians.

While everyone expects Nate and Will to post great scores, it seemed like a lot of other skiers were posting better than usual scores for big events at Predator Bay too. The weather wasn't helping, so maybe this new boat is.

• Baller_
Not a question for me so much being in FL but does that windshield keep the wind and cold air of the north off your body head and arms or does it rap around. That actuarially would be good here but thinkn the northern folks may want to know one way or the other.

• Baller
@swc5150 from what I understand, they will take the first orders the first week of October. Dealers have production slots committed right now, but not detailed orders in. With a first order of October 3rd or something like that, you can figure first boats will ship 6 weeks later. I think Charles told me our first prodution slot for a ProStar had it shipping early December.

• Baller
I posted this elsewhere, but I talked to a friend who skied it today in the pro shoot out, she is not sponsored but trains behind a 200. her opinion is that it is way better than the 197 and skis like the 200.

• Baller_

Lots of examples out there on first year boats.

I think the 99 or 2000 MC needed the Hook added.

2003 CC 206 had a week frame and when it was put on a trailer, the boat would flex.

97 196 changed up the rear of the boat.

• Baller

@bananaron The same thing was said in late 2009 when the 200 came out. And the 200 has consistently sold all production slots that CC has had available every year even though it was $10k more than it's predecessor. In the case of the PS, it's pricing is staying pretty flat relative to the boat it's replacing. MC will sell out their entire production run for 2014 even though they will only have 2/3 the time frame of a normal model year.

Also, teak platforms have always been optional on the entire mastercraft line. The composite is standard.

• Baller
I watch many water-skiing promotion-related videos. I never met Mr. Marcus Brown (although years ago I skied with your friend Terry Winter). I have only owned CCs and Malibus. I have to say congratulations on a truly awesome video. Well balanced and well done!

• Baller
The more footage I see of this boat, the more excited I am to see it. Since the pricing doesn't sound like it'll move much, if at all, from the current 197, what do you think that will do to the value of the current hull? The 196 retained it's value, since the 200 was quite a bit more $$, and to some, it didn't ski that much better for the added cost. Not to start a CC discussion, but I don't see 197 values holding strong like the 196 did. Just curious what ballers are thinking?

• Baller_
The 196 wakes were the same of better then the 200 and that is not the case with the 197 vs the new MC (from what we are hearing anyway) so that will make it tough to retain value. I would bet that there are also many more 197s out there then 196s. Slow speed long liners will always be looking for wake performance and with there being used 196s, CPs and TKIs out there, that will also have a resale price effect. I am just glad that I wont have to buy a 197 now that Mrs_Ms will not have to worry about wakes when she goes to events.

• Baller_

@ShaneH, do you have any specs, description, other demonstration as to creating the hook? Would be nice to know. Also, would the same change work on a pre-2004 197/X7 hull? My understanding is that MC did modify the hull slightly after 2003.

I'm good with the boat I have, but know of others looking for boats. If the 197 were to become cheaper and modifiable into a good slalom wake for longer line and slower speed, that information might actually help support the 197 pricing to buyers willing to break out their tools.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I don't have a pick of a 197. But here's one where 3/16" of hook was added with bondo to the passenger side of a 200. This is the sweetest skiing 200 I've been behind. The owner will gell coat it at some point.

On the 197s, MC put hook in the hull on 02 Tournament Teams and then added that same hook to the molds for all of the 03 and newer production. You can experiment with differing amounts in very little time with bondo and a sanding board.