D3 ski upgrade - which one?

Ali

• Baller

My wife is currently on an X5 rose skiing the course at 15off and 28/30 mph, she is 125lbs. Ski is 4 years old so time to get her on a new ride and she has agreed as long as the ski "looks good".

I am going to take advantage of the D3 20% off nationals deal. So looking at Quest GS or Fusion GS 65" in either.

Any opinions or experiences of the female versions of these skis most appreciated.

cheers

Ali

• Baller
@Ali, she feels it turns better and is quicker cross course; everything seems to be a little more fluid. She is about 120 Lbs and skies at 30 mph & 32 mph @15 - 22 off. She tried the regular and the GS and prefers the softer ski. It is plenty stiff for her level of skiing.

• Baller
If looks are important, buy the best skiing ski. Take it to a local car "wrap" shop (where they cover cars with vinyl to make it a rolling advertisement). Have them cut a wrap for the ski's top surface using any graphics she wants (flowers, paisleys, her favorite colors or what matches her vest, etc.).

• Baller

@Murrski very cool.

She already has custom made masterline handle (grey/pink fleck and pink for you fashionistas who want to know)

Ski wrap could be the winter project.

cheers

Ali

• Supporting Member
I know nothing about D3's but (as you know) I've seen her ski and even coached her a bit, and I'd definitely go with the "more forgiving" option if there is agreement on what that is. The reason: She is strong as hell but still working on body position, a combination that can lead to some "interesting" crashes. A rock-solid ski could help minimize that, and thus indirectly accelerate her learning curve.

• Baller
@davemac - I didn't remove mine. Terry's design had the Ball of Spray text with a collage of graphics around the text that went right over the D3 impression. The impression gets lost in the graphic and is a total non-issue IMO.

• Baller

@Ali @Waternut - Terry's email is: t e r r y w i n t e r 1 @ m a c . c o m. Cost will be dependent on design tme/complexity but plan on something between $100 - $150. Mine ran in the middle of that range but I didn't need shipping since we live in the same area.

On the wing question - I'd say without wing initially then after 10-12 sets - give it a try to feel the difference. Most on the forum I think would agree that the skier should first feel the ski and know where you need to be on it to slow it down when sking at speeds less than 34mph.