Mens eight skier

KcSwerver

• Baller
Durring my trip to San Jose California, I got a pull from a good friend, Jerry Heinrichs, last year in San Jose he took me under his wing and showed me around the Santa Clara Waterski Club and made me feel at home there was no question that I wanted to come back this year. Last week went out and got a set with him and one of the other members of the club. we skied great, then Jerry was up. I decided to ride and watched. HOLY CRAP THIS GUY IS AMAZING. Boat speed 30, he started at 22 off and skied right up the line and got 1 @ 38 off, and it looked absolutely effortless. Did I mention he's over 70 (sorry Jerry) so this just goes to show that a little hard work and a love for the sport can really pay off, because he I un-officially won his mens 8 division at nats. Congrats Jerry!

• Baller
At Nationals I had the pleasure of being the dock starter for the Men's 8 Group. All these guys were talking trash to each other, giving each other terrific encouragement and just a great group of people to hang out with. I hope that when I'm in that age group I'll have the same great outlook on life. If Jerry is the skier that I'm thinking about most of the skiers went out at 22 off and finished maybe at 32 off. I could be wrong but I think Jerry might have gone off the dock at 32 off...........now that's impressive.

• Baller
I believe the Santa Clara site became unskiable in May and was dry by June. Jerry didn't ski this year but another very accomplished Santa Clara M8 skier is Brad Conger. He moved his practice sets to the San Mateo Lagoon and the Berkeley Aquatic Park this summer and just set pending national records in Slalom and Jump a few weeks ago at Shortline Lake. 2@39 and 98 feet. These Mens 8 guys are awesome.

• Baller

My next door neighbor and Gator1's uncle, Bruce Kunde, jumped 99 feet at 77 years old (Mens 9) at nationals. It's simply amazing the shape he is in, not only for his age, but just in general.

I've been telling him for years he should try a wider ski than his current 68" Strada as he's about 190 lbs slaloming at 30 mph. He typically gets into 32 off and occasionally 35 off while practicing.