Another Baller Down - Arm Through Handle (ATH)

A_B

• Baller

A Southern Ohio Baller who frequents out here just suffered injuries with an ATH incident.

Plate put in forearm and waiting on MRI of shoulder to determine extent of damage.

Earlier this year, I had one of those weird falls on an offside turn when experimenting with a shorter and deeper fin, where the ski just kept heading out away from me and didn't come back in. I fell to the inside and luckily was able to pull my hand back as it was headed for the triangle of death for sure.

I am getting my handles fixed up this weekend!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I've seen people use strips of duct tape, but they don't look very effective. I was thinking that women's nylons might be good if you can find a way to attach them securely. Lightweight and the wind blows through them. Not sure if they would be strong enough though.

• Supporting Member

Wow, I was just about post a reminder warning after I let go of the handle in a situation where you should NEVER let go of it. Ended up sending the ski right though the gap between my guard and the bar. Was SUPER lucky to get only minor injury (twisted my rear leg pretty good, but was only sore about 40 hours).

Don't forget to control the handle for as long as you CAN control the handle.

And of course always use a handle guard, but Plan A should always be to not need it!

• Baller
We use the flexiable plastic cutting boards you can buy at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I got a pack of four for $14. I use my CNC but I'm sure you could cut them by hand with sharp scissors. We use small zips along the sides and a bigger one in the middle of the handle. I reinforced the hole for the center zip by epoxying a small washer on both sides. Minimal investment for the protection and they been lasting over a season.

• Baller

TW Arm-Guard:

TW%20Armguard%202.jpg

The black band connecting the Arm-Guard to the handle is optional, but is stretchy enough that if you grab it while fumbling the handle, it still allows you to grip the handle. It's also strong enough that if it catches just one finger, your whole arm isn't going through the gap.

• Baller

@richarddoane - It looks like your duct tape job would work as far as keeping your head from entering the triangle, but the picture makes it look like your arm can fit in there. That is the reason I called the duct tape ones I have seen not very effective. You could add more tape to close the gap, but then you would have a sail, and the handle might be a little heavy.

I agree that TW's version is the best.

Love the green tape by the way

• Baller

I use both a TW Arm Guard and a funky bit of rope laced through the opening. The TW Arm Guard is certainly safer but I have yet to have my hand go past the funky rope either. Quite a few times I have felt the funky rope bounce off my hand. In tricks, there is a toe harness in the way of a weird fall - I have never stuck my hand through a trick handle despite thousands of weird falls. Both my funky rope and the toe harness allow a hand to get through but in real life any barrier seems to lower the risk acceptably.

I hate changing handles with the TW Arm Guard. My handle loop needs to be twice as big. That's why I made my funky rope barrier for my traveling handle.

@richarddoane changes skis often enough to have his fresh duct tape work. It was a good barrier but in my hot desert, duct tape melts after a couple of days. Of course I could always just grab the tape to get some stickum so I'd never lose the handle...

Eric

• Baller
Just a thought for some of your re these types of injuries. Some of my buddies and myself are starting to wear helmets. Solves many problems. Helps with concussions, no more ear drum ruptures, and there is no way a head plus helmet will go through the handle. Just a thought.

• Baller
In my limited experience the only people who fear my handle are in the boat, but I've got a hard time deciding when to quit ;) The idea is interesting, might go ahead and try out the plastic cutting board route - as long as I don't use one of my wife's pampered chef pieces - now that would be dangerous.

• Baller
TW arm guards are the way to go. I've been using them for years, never notice it skiing. The price might seem steep, but its less than a tank of gas. I've got at least 2 yrs per guard. I know several guys don't have a bicep muscle anymore, from rhese type of falls, not worth it to me. Plus chicks love biceps.

• Baller_
I've had a TW arm guard for a few years now. It's great and it has never interfered with my skiing at all. I like the coverage area it provides. Some other arm guards, tape, etc. still seem to leave too much open. I think the cost is reasonable considering the benefit.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I've had the same FM arm guard for approx 4 yrs now. Its in great shape! I just transfer it from handle to handle. I don't see how T Dubs handle guard could be "that" much better to warrant the extra $ he is charging for it. I must admit though, I like how his panel folds in the middle for easier removal from your slalom line. Ive gotten used to rolling up my handle while removing it from the line, so still don't think it's worth the extra $$$

• Baller

@oldjeep Here's a picture from their website that shows the big loop at the handle end of their tournament rope. They will sell you just this section if you really want the big loop but the rest of your rope is still in good condition.

http://www.masterlineusa.com/9-25m500X300-1.jpg

• Members
Another recommendation for Thomas Wayne's Arm-Guard. It is VERY well thought out, made out of an indestructible material (Lexan?), and reasonably priced. He developed it after putting his own arm through a handle yoke and receiving a compound fracture He's an engineer and was determined to find a solution. Best one out there. Brought it to the ski community after a death from a head through the handle yoke. Get one.

@AB Thanks for visiting this topic!

I agree with @Roger regarding duct tape being "perfectly effective". I've been using tape for a few seasons now until I can get a TW. Other homemade versions should work just as well provided it is made out of a material that you can bend / fold over without it shattering or breaking. I'd like to say that is a given but I did see one that could splinter and provide sharp & shattered edges.

Yes weird / unexpected falls happen. I've seen people throw the handle in disgust - and you know it's going to be flopping all over the place.

And tell me you never saw a skier just miss that extra quarter buoy, let go of the handle and keep turning towards the boat - yes, they can catch the boat and this is the one time they do not want to ski the handle. If I'm driving, I'll do what I can to (hopefully) prevent an incident. As a passenger, I've quickly yanked the rope... and hope for luck.

Order one, make one but by all means at least put some tape on there before your next ride.

Ballers - stay safe, ski well, have fun and keep sharing!

Much thanks for making this a safer addiction for all!

• Baller
Eplastics.com sells the lexan like the pic above. I believe it can be ordered with the same cutout holes as well. They have the lexan like 1/16th thick with triangle holes throughout. It almost looks identical to the arm guard material. Good stuff.

• Members
@Waternut, I have the first generation Arm-Guard without the center hinge. I can still bend it to put my handle on a mainline without the big loop. It will not break, or at least mine has not. All the ropes I use now have the big loop, so no longer an issue. The newer Am-Guards with the hinge are easier with the small mainline loop.

• Baller
@Onside135, I remember the picture and in fact one of the ballers (can't remember who) had cut up an old wetsuit bag and threaded it into the rope on his ML handle. Looked very functional and also seemed to be a much better way of attaching it to the handle than zip ties. I have had a real problem attaching with zip ties, regardless of the width/strength, ai snap them in almost every set...

• Baller
I use an arm guard made from a five gallon plastic bucket bottom (or lid). Ive seen a nice one made from a kitchen sink mat/liner. It's almost unheard of for an ATH at anything longer than 38. It just doesn't seem to happen due to where the skier is in relation to the boat when at the buoy, however.

• Baller
@LeonL - no disrespect, but not sure I totally agree with that statement. I know at least one person with no bicep as a result of a fall well below 38'. More probable at 38 possibly, but don't want o discourage anyone south of 38 particularly when some of the stranger falls seem to occur during the learning curve up the rope

• Baller

@OB good to meet you in Okee

I did when I raced. I take plenty of risk in life, this particular one I manage with a handle guard. It's made sense to me before I had a scary incident but after that I went for the ArmGuard.

With this stuff, binding safety, etc we all have a right to our view and its hard to say what is absolutely correct.

• Baller

Most of us won't have a near miss and an even lower percentage will actually get hurt. I do think chance increases as the line gets shorter. It also massively increases if the skier is used to going for it when they should back off. This was the first thing I fixed years ago, stay in control. Even so, when I got caught up in the rope last winter my life flashed before my eyes and as a young parent I made the handle guard commitment. I resist preaching and try instead to offer points of view for consideration.

Lessons anytime! I love to coach. Take a west coast safari and we will show you a good time. If I get to the ATL I will let you know.

• Baller

@LeonL, I wasn't there but isn't -38 where Brett Yeager ended up getting his head into the handle? I really hate to bring that up but I think that freak things can happen at anytime and any line length. Controlling the handle is great and all but not always an option. I have a family and commitments too so I chose a long time ago to take the extra precautions. I'm not comdemming anyone for not using it but I have at least 4 friends that have gotten their arm thru the handle. The other day I broke forward at the ball and went down, when the boat came back the observer mentioned how close my head was to the handle. That right there is a good enough reason for me to own an arm guard!

• Baller

Yes, things happen fast. They happen a lot more often if you ski out of control. Not only is it safer, but you will be a better skier if you make the commitment to being in control. I do both, control and arm guard.

Yes, Yager out the gate at 38. RIP Banshee